Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 104th Tour de France thread

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Genuine question.

I tune into the TdF primarily to watch the beautiful scenery of France and know little of the riders.

Just lookin at the faces in the peloton they all seem to be the same - white.

Are there any black riders in this year's TdF/have there ever been any?

Columbians Quintana and Atapuma, Ethiopian Grmay non white riders in this years tour.

Daniel Teklehaimanot rode the Giro.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wonder why this is as in most sports there are always black men and women?
Mostly due to culture I think. And if you're a young black athlete, you're likely to be inspired by other great black athletes and want to follow in their footsteps, which means no cycling.

Anyone watch Pharmacy Road the other day? Quite funny.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Kittel abandons after crash. Mathews has Green Jersey sewn up surely?

Pity because that competition was heating up nicely after yesterday.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Irony is that in a TdF with the most sprint stages for ages there are hardly any top sprinters left!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good stage today.
Irony is that in a TdF with the most sprint stages for ages there are hardly any top sprinters left!
#SagansFault

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My worst fears for Aru's podium chances confirmed today. He wasn't looking good going into the Alps and it looks like the lack of race of days have caught up with him. I'd be amazed if he doesn't lose more time tomorrow. Depending on how badly he cracks and how well Bardet and Landa TT, I can see Aru finishing 5th now :(

On the plus side, Uran is looking really strong still. On his day he's the best TTer behind Froome of this GC group. It would be great if he can attack and gain time on Froome tomorrow. If he could go into the TT ahead of Froome then we at least have some sort of challenge on.

Loving Dan Martin today! He's proper Contador like in always being willing to go shit or bust. Chapeau!

Re: The booing Froome debate. Barry Hoban was the guest on commentary today and was asked what he thought about it and if it happened in his day. He just laughed and said it's always been like that. He said Merckx got abuse all the time and even got hit by a spectator once. He also said that the French weren't adverse to booing their own if he wasn't their favourite rider, citing the booing of Anquetil when their favourite Poulidor was also riding. There really is very little that's new under the sun it seems.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In Yorkshire in 2014, Kevin Reza even had time to pick up a fans helmet cam...

If FDJ had taken Kevin Reza to this years Tour, unless they sacrificed him for Demare on that stage as well, which I doubt, then they'd at least have a few top ten stage finishes in the team rather than the unmitigated disaster they have had. With the sprint field left in this race now I'd fancy him to just edge a Top 5 on the Champs Elysees even.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yep - really enjoyed today's stage. Lots of drama all round.

I've really taken to Landa. His face is nonchalant indifference as he churns out the miles for Froome, and it was a great effort to get back with the GC group on the final descent today. It surely would have been easier to let up then - "I've done my bit today" but he worked hard to get back so he could support his team leader.

Roll on tomorrow...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Kittel abandons after crash. Mathews has Green Jersey sewn up surely?

Pity because that competition was heating up nicely after yesterday.

Real shame for Kittel. I think the poor bloke was going down with a bug anyway and that crash today, along with brilliant riding from Matthews and Sunweb, was the straw that broke the camels back. Have to feel for him, although he won't be too grumpy what with 5 stage wins to come away with.

As you say, a real pity as Matthews had done brilliantly to set up a potential battle for the jersey on the Champs Elysees, which I don't think has happened in donkey's years.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep - really enjoyed today's stage. Lots of drama all round.

I've really taken to Landa. His face is nonchalant indifference as he churns out the miles for Froome, and it was a great effort to get back with the GC group on the final descent today. It surely would have been easier to let up then - "I've done my bit today" but he worked hard to get back so he could support his team leader.

Roll on tomorrow...

Point of order. He was never going to let up then having done his bit. He was trying to put as much time into Aru just like the rest of them (Barguil aside). He knows his TT isn't too good as well so needs to get as much time on the road as possible, without overtaking Froome of course :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Real shame for Kittel. I think the poor bloke was going down with a bug anyway and that crash today, along with brilliant riding from Matthews and Sunweb, was the straw that broke the camels back. Have to feel for him, although he won't be too grumpy what with 5 stage wins to come away with.

As you say, a real pity as Matthews had done brilliantly to set up a potential battle for the jersey on the Champs Elysees, which I don't think has happened in donkey's years.

Ironic that Kittel, Cav and Sagan, all failed to make Paris. Hopefully they'll are be there next year with egos to be serviced.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree, except that he wasn't just supporting his team leader at the end, he is 5th overall.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
This has been my favourite tour for years, nearly every stage has kept my interest and looking forward to the final uphill finish tomorrow. Just of interest if Froome does crack on the final climb tomorrow how much time is he likely to claw back from the main GC riders in the TT on Saturday?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This has been my favourite tour for years, nearly every stage has kept my interest and looking forward to the final uphill finish tomorrow. Just of interest if Froome does crack on the final climb tomorrow how much time is he likely to claw back from the main GC riders in the TT on Saturday?

First of all, there's not a big enough font on here to write that IF with unfortunately. I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if Froome cracks tomorrow.

About a minute better than the rest is the general consensus for Froome on that TT. There is a climb in the middle of it that takes some of his advantage to others away, but barring crashes/mechanicals, Froome beats all the others in the TT.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Those roads were pretty scary yesterday up and down that last hill. Mental descending speeds.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good to see Van Vleuten win the La Course stage today. She's well on her way back after that horror crash last summer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here