Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't want to seem ungrateful but.....

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Another issue with the 7 year old getting a free shirt thing.

My eldest got a birthday card from the club and his voucher for a free shirt. Lovely gesture from the club.
His birthday is 8th July and he has a month to claim his small boys shirt. It says season 16/17 kit and there is a sticker saying that 17/18 kits are not available from voucher until 14th August 6 days after his voucher runs out if it's not possible with his voucher.

Called the club to find out how this works as the 16/17 kit is no longer on sale so how can he collect his shirt. Apparently they save some back for the vouchers. I asked if there was any flexibility and was fiemly told no. OK disappointed that it's not the new kit still a nice gesture but he already has the home, third and goalkeepers top. As you can imagine my son was upset. I told him I'll get him the home top when it comes out.

Not quite sure how to feel, as the title says don't want to be ungrateful but I do feel a bit miffed. Should I just shut up and put up and shut up or should I ask the club for some leeway?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So you are actually offered something free but it does not satisfy you ?

Then don't take the free gift, not hard

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Get a grip. He's not your best mate. Stop pandering! FFS he's already got 3 kits, the word spoilt springs to mind.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My son's birthday was a bit earlier but the same situation. He has the existing shirt of course. I suspect that most kids who have their birthday in the first 6 months of the (calendar) year will already have a shirt by the time their birthday comes round which somewhat negates the 'free shirt' thing.

I'm not moaning though - it's just the luck of the draw as it were. It's a great scheme from the club, particularly for parents of kids who have their birthday around the beginning of the season as it saves them £40 (or whatever the shirt costs)!

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I read this straight after an article about a mother & child being burnt to death in Syria...seems like a small first world problem TBH.

Talk to the club and see if they are prepared to bend - if not c'est la vie.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Get a grip. He's not your best mate. Stop pandering! FFS he's already got 3 kits, the word spoilt springs to mind.

Go on then, I'll bite. I bought him one for his Christmas, the other two came from his grandparents from either side got the other two for his Xmas. He asked for them because he absolutely loves the team. If that's spoiling him then we're obviously reading different parenting manuals.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think you can necessarily criticise Brighton & Hove Albion for their response to your demonstrably poor conception planning, chaps.

Next time, aim for a September due date :wink:

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
His little brother is 30th September. The eldest was supposed to be September but we didn't realise I'd be so potent when we started trying. What can I say, I'm too dam fertile!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Another issue with the 7 year old getting a free shirt thing.

My eldest got a birthday card from the club and his voucher for a free shirt. Lovely gesture from the club.
His birthday is 8th July and he has a month to claim his small boys shirt. It says season 16/17 kit and there is a sticker saying that 17/18 kits are not available from voucher until 14th August 6 days after his voucher runs out if it's not possible with his voucher.

Called the club to find out how this works as the 16/17 kit is no longer on sale so how can he collect his shirt. Apparently they save some back for the vouchers. I asked if there was any flexibility and was fiemly told no. OK disappointed that it's not the new kit still a nice gesture but he already has the home, third and goalkeepers top. As you can imagine my son was upset. I told him I'll get him the home top when it comes out.

Not quite sure how to feel, as the title says don't want to be ungrateful but I do feel a bit miffed. Should I just shut up and put up and shut up or should I ask the club for some leeway?
Well I guess there has to be a cut off point somewhere. It's still a great gesture from the club.

One of those things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here