Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shooting in New York hospital

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
There's something like 50-100 gun deaths in the US each day.
Pretty depressing how some can't resist resorting to their own fears/prejudices just because one made the news.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Once again, a workplace grudge ends in a shooting. Mind boggling.

How do these things pan out in the UK? Shouting match? Punch up after a few drinks? Some unpleasant graffiti on the toilet wall?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As there's no reason to score any more points against those on here shamefully apportioning blame before the fact, I've taken a look at the gun used.

It is reported as 'Police said the suspect was wearing a white medical coat when found. An assault rifle was also discovered nearby, which a local politician separately said appeared to be a military-grade M16 rifle'.

Wiki says of that rifle it has a rate of fire
12–15 rounds/min sustained
45–60 rounds/min semi-automatic
700–950 rounds/min cyclic

Up to 300m it has a 100% single-shot hit-probability.
At the same distance it can also shoot through both sides of a steel helmet.

The M16 was also the gun of choice for the SAS, in the Falklands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle#M16

In answer to the question (which I'm sure has now caused a drone to be hovering over Stat Towers) 'Is it legal to buy an M16, in America' the answer would seem to be YES:-

Real assault rifles are capable of automatic firing. Therefore, they are regulated by the federal government as machine guns under the Federal Firearms Act of 1934 and the completely misnamed Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986. The Firearm Owners’ Protection Act entirely banned the new manufacture or importation of automatic weapons for civilian use. That left roughly 150,000 registered automatic weapons in private ownership and eligible for transfer between individuals. The transfer of such weapons is handled by the ATF's NFA branch. Basically, anyone wanting to legally own a fully automatic weapon needs $15,000 to over $40,000 to buy a weapon from an already licensed owner willing to sell one of theirs, plus pay a $200 federal transfer tax, plus pass a background investigation of National Agency Check with 10-point fingerprinting.

Here is what it takes to own a weapon capable of full auto

Pay a tax of $200, which in 1934 was worth over $3,500
Fill out a lengthy application to register your gun with the federal government
Submit photographs
Submit passport photos
Get your chief law enforcement official to sign your application
Wait for the results of your background check to come back

If you have the money the only drawback would seem to be a lengthy form.

(next time someone else can do t'internet search, I'm already in enough trouble by using Kodi)

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
There's something like 50-100 gun deaths in the US each day.

I read that and thought you must be wrong, so checked and you are correct. That's insane. The death rate from guns per person is 50 times higher in the USA than it is in the U.K.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I read that and thought you must be wrong, so checked and you are correct. That's insane. The death rate from guns per person is 50 times higher in the USA than it is in the U.K.

How will banning guns make things better?

Its like saying welfare is wrong and stripping it away from single parents, there are so many criminally owned guns that it would disarm law abbiding citizens. This is a dead issue in the USA, I'm hearing it more in the UK as people want to be able to defend themselves.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Sounds like Johnny from Fantastic Four went nuts and tried to Flame On after shooting some doctors because they couldn't heal Stretch.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
How will banning guns make things better?

Its like saying welfare is wrong and stripping it away from single parents, there are so many criminally owned guns that it would disarm law abbiding citizens. This is a dead issue in the USA, I'm hearing it more in the UK as people want to be able to defend themselves.

To determine whether banning guns in the states would make things better I guess you'd have to look at how many deaths a year are from legally owned guns compared to illegally owned guns.

Allowing guns in this country will ensure that any future attack in this country where knives would have been used will instead be committed with guns and result in more deaths.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
To determine whether banning guns in the states would make things better I guess you'd have to look at how many deaths a year are from legally owned guns compared to illegally owned guns.

Thats been done, carry and conceal has had a massive deterence effect, which is why its not an issue for most.

QUOTE=The Optimist;8003140]

Allowing guns in this country will ensure that any future attack in this country where knives would have been used will instead be committed with guns and result in more deaths.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but those deaths could well be assailants. We have also the reality of both rising gun crime with rising gun bans, like places in the USA like Chicago. There is a pattern but not the one you are alluding to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've always been aware of that figure since I did a statistics project at school on road accidents. I have a feeling that back then, mid 90s, the figure was closer to 10. If my memory is correct that's quite a significant improvement.

Yep - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reported_Road_Casualties_Great_Britain

As consistent now as it was then.

I doubt I would have given much thought to the rebuttal of those figures:-

Suppression of activity by vulnerable road users[edit]
Another independent report challenged the government's claim that falling casualty rates meant that roads were becoming 'much safer'. Mayer Hillman, Professor John Adams and John Whitelegg suggest that roads may actually be felt to be sufficiently dangerous as to deter pedestrians from using them. They compared rates for those whose transport options are most limited, the elderly and children and found that:[21]

Britain's child pedestrian safety record is worse than the average for Europe, in contrast to the better than average all-ages figure.
Children's independent mobility is increasingly curtailed, with fear of traffic being cited as a dominant cause
Distances walked have declined more than in other European countries
Similar (though less well-defined) observations can be made regarding the elderly

Naturally I'd include cyclists into that as well.

Digression over - as you were.

Last edited:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Thats been done, carry and conceal has had a massive deterence effect, which is why its not an issue for most.

QUOTE=The Optimist;8003140]

Allowing guns in this country will ensure that any future attack in this country where knives would have been used will instead be committed with guns and result in more deaths.

Maybe, but those deaths could well be assailants. We have also the reality of both rising gun crime with rising gun bans, like places in the USA like Chicago. There is a pattern but not the one you are alluding to.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying that in the states there is so much illegal gun ownership that controlling legal gun ownership is just reducing the deterrent effect on the illegal gun holders and therefore making them more likely to use a gun. That does make sense. I'm not sure that this can be applied to the UK because we've got a completely different starting point.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Yep - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reported_Road_Casualties_Great_Britain

As consistent now as it was then.

I doubt I would have given much thought to the rebuttal of those figures:-

Suppression of activity by vulnerable road users[edit]
Another independent report challenged the government's claim that falling casualty rates meant that roads were becoming 'much safer'. Mayer Hillman, Professor John Adams and John Whitelegg suggest that roads may actually be felt to be sufficiently dangerous as to deter pedestrians from using them. They compared rates for those whose transport options are most limited, the elderly and children and found that:[21]

Britain's child pedestrian safety record is worse than the average for Europe, in contrast to the better than average all-ages figure.
Children's independent mobility is increasingly curtailed, with fear of traffic being cited as a dominant cause
Distances walked have declined more than in other European countries
Similar (though less well-defined) observations can be made regarding the elderly

Naturally I'd include cyclists into that as well.

Digression over - as you were.

Lies, damn lies and statistics! This reminds me a story from Bad Science by Ben Goldacre (at least I think that's where I read it) about newspaper headlines on cocaine use doubling in school children. When he looked into the statistics in the report we're indeed that it had been 1% and was now 2%, but all statistics in the report were given to a whole percentage point. The actual raw data was 1.4% and 1.9%. In addition it was only based on a small number of schools and as cocaine use is likely to be a group activity (what 15 year old goes off and takes coke on their own) it is even less likely to be statistically significant.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As there's no reason to score any more points against those on here shamefully apportioning blame before the fact, I've taken a look at the gun used.

It is reported as 'Police said the suspect was wearing a white medical coat when found. An assault rifle was also discovered nearby, which a local politician separately said appeared to be a military-grade M16 rifle'.

Wiki says of that rifle it has a rate of fire
12–15 rounds/min sustained
45–60 rounds/min semi-automatic
700–950 rounds/min cyclic

Up to 300m it has a 100% single-shot hit-probability.
At the same distance it can also shoot through both sides of a steel helmet.

The M16 was also the gun of choice for the SAS, in the Falklands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle#M16

In answer to the question (which I'm sure has now caused a drone to be hovering over Stat Towers) 'Is it legal to buy an M16, in America' the answer would seem to be YES:-

Real assault rifles are capable of automatic firing. Therefore, they are regulated by the federal government as machine guns under the Federal Firearms Act of 1934 and the completely misnamed Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986. The Firearm Owners’ Protection Act entirely banned the new manufacture or importation of automatic weapons for civilian use. That left roughly 150,000 registered automatic weapons in private ownership and eligible for transfer between individuals. The transfer of such weapons is handled by the ATF's NFA branch. Basically, anyone wanting to legally own a fully automatic weapon needs $15,000 to over $40,000 to buy a weapon from an already licensed owner willing to sell one of theirs, plus pay a $200 federal transfer tax, plus pass a background investigation of National Agency Check with 10-point fingerprinting.

Here is what it takes to own a weapon capable of full auto

Pay a tax of $200, which in 1934 was worth over $3,500
Fill out a lengthy application to register your gun with the federal government
Submit photographs
Submit passport photos
Get your chief law enforcement official to sign your application
Wait for the results of your background check to come back

If you have the money the only drawback would seem to be a lengthy form.

(next time someone else can do t'internet search, I'm already in enough trouble by using Kodi)

Only one person implied it might be a Muslim. I certainly didn't. I do think it's an interesting and thread worthy story. Not your usual redneck with a gun fetish shooting but an educated doctor who swore to "do no harm" going back to a hospital to take lives. Yes, I do think it's interesting but no t for the reasons anyone else has insinuated.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Sorry if I am missing the point, but what is the point of this thread?

It was breaking news, didn't know what it was going to turn into. Two shot and smoke in a hospital is significant isn't it?

Maybe ask BBC why it is a main story on their news?

Please let me know which subjects I am allowed to start threads on in future.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It was breaking news, didn't know what it was going to turn into. Two shot and smoke in a hospital is significant isn't it?

Maybe ask BBC why it is a main story on their news?

Please let me know which subjects I am allowed to start threads on in future.

Ignore them. There's a few on here that regularly trawl the forum looking for threads where they have no interest in the subject matter but want to take the moral high ground over some imagined slight. They're pricks and don't deserve your time.
I found it an interesting story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here