Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom and the Club's Premiership millions

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is Tony Bloom we are talking about, just really cannot see him spending a stack of his money... what is it now ... 200 million... to then not give it a right good go staying there.

Some posters should have far more faith in the man than is currently on show.

absolutely this. the only thing to hold him back is to pace himself for the January window to have something to spend then. no point getting into this league, with the cash now available then sitting on it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The same way spastic was used, the dutch sticking kanker (cancer) in front of every insult and referring to stuff as 'aids'.

It's been common for a while to use very serious illnesses/ailments that are devastating to the sufferers and their families as a means to insult people in the most despicable fashion. Of course I'd rather it didn't happen but you only need to spend a few minutes with some of the younger generation/s to know it is common.
What's your point? We know it happens, it would be good if people stood up against it, so that it happens less in the future.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wont be retracting my comments.
What? Your comment is offensive and seems from reading the replies here that you have offended people with an inappropriate jibe. I expected you to say something along the lines of 'sorry, I meant no offence'. But no, you won't retract your comment. I find that quite surprising.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
What? Your comment is offensive and seems from reading the replies here that you have offended people with an inappropriate jibe. I expected you to say something along the lines of 'sorry, I meant no offence'. But no, you won't retract your comment. I find that quite surprising.

I'm surprised he as not been banned until he Does retract his comments as it has offended more than one person on this board, mostly parents with Autistic children. I don't have any Autistic children but my better half as worked with kids with Special Needs for the past 10 years, with the last two working with kids\adults with server Autism.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
What's your point? We know it happens, it would be good if people stood up against it, so that it happens less in the future.

I've tried, difficult to teach a moral lesson when the very reason they do it is to cause outrage :shrug:

My point was it's unfortunately one of those things best ignored.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've tried, difficult to teach a moral lesson when the very reason they do it is to cause outrage :shrug:

My point was it's unfortunately one of those things best ignored.
While some do it for outrage, I think most do it because it's a habit like swearing. It's just the language they use. The more people become aware that it's not cool, the less they'll use the language and the more likely they'll be to stop their kids using it etc. Over time I think things will improve.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
He has now. The club have lost him as a customer. Hopefully NSC has too now.

Smells a little of double standards

Roses are red,
violets are blue,
I'm a schizophrenic,
and so am I.

There's no I in team but there's two I's in schizophrenia.

And I think I might be schizo, if I'm being Frank.

im in 2 minds about that .

I've actually met some really decent people via NSC. I'm just not sure I want to add a random schizo to the list

Just a small selection of quotes - my best mate's sister suffers from schizophrenia and my wife works in a care home where two of the clients are afflicted - schizophrenia is no joke but getting all high and mighty about anyone using it in this way or those who use it as an insult is ridiculous, (I was going to say "crazy" but of course that can be considered a derogatory synonym for a mental illness).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just a small selection of quotes
Er, not quotes from me. And I don't think it is double standards at all...

my best mate's sister suffers from schizophrenia and my wife works in a care home where two of the clients are afflicted - schizophrenia is no joke but getting all high and mighty about anyone using it in this way or those who use it as an insult is ridiculous, (I was going to say "crazy" but of course that can be considered a derogatory synonym for a mental illness).
I don't know much about autism and I know even less about schizophrenia. If you or others are offended by the jokes, then say so, discuss it, make people more aware. If someone is taking the piss and not taking it back, feel free to report their post.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I don't know much about autism and I know even less about schizophrenia. If you or others are offended by the jokes, then say so, discuss it, make people more aware. If someone is taking the piss and not taking it back, feel free to report their post.

No, they weren't quotes of your posts but not one of them drew a single critical comment from either you nor any of those claiming to be offended by Husty's use of autism in a critical manner - that is where the double standards lie in my opinion.

Personally I wasn't offended by any of the posts as I think they say far more about the poster than anyone they are directed at.

If we are going to get "precious" about autism then do a simple search of the forum for the use of the words "psychotic" and/or "paranoid" - then ask yourself what the difference is.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, they weren't quotes of your posts but not one of them drew a single critical comment from either you nor any of those claiming to be offended by Husty's use of autism in a critical manner - that is where the double standards lie in my opinion.
Oh I see - I didn't even know the comments were in this thread, I hadn't read it all.

I wasn't offended by Husty's comment, but then my life hasn't been affected by autism. As others have said though, they did find the comment offensive because they know how awful autism can be. We presumably have some posters here who have autism and don't like how it has impacted their life and I can imagine it's not nice reading people taking the piss. As you say, the same could be true for something like schizophrenia. If you're in a position to educate the rest of us, go for it, I'm always willing to learn.

Personally I wasn't offended by any of the posts as I think they say far more about the poster than anyone they are directed at.
It's irrelevant that it says more about the poster than anyone else, that doesn't stop it upsetting people.
If we are going to get "precious" about autism then do a simple search of the forum for the use of the words "psychotic" and/or "paranoid" - then ask yourself what the difference is.
So you think it's being precious. I disagree. I don't like seeing people being homophobic, racist or ableist, as I know it's not nice for the people on the receiving end.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Just a small selection of quotes - my best mate's sister suffers from schizophrenia and my wife works in a care home where two of the clients are afflicted - schizophrenia is no joke but getting all high and mighty about anyone using it in this way or those who use it as an insult is ridiculous, (I was going to say "crazy" but of course that can be considered a derogatory synonym for a mental illness).

[MENTION=27275]Creaky[/MENTION], I know the quotes are not Triggaar's, but the way you have quoted them does make it appear they are from him. Maybe you should clarify that in your post.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[MENTION=27275]Creaky[/MENTION], I know the quotes are not Triggaar's, but the way you have quoted them does make it appear they are from him. Maybe you should clarify that in your post.
I'd be happy to do so but unable to edit it :(
No it's cool, no drama. I'm sure over the years I've made light about schizophrenia or other conditions I don't know much about.

Far more importantly, who is this Triggaar imposter?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Not too sure what your point is? Not to get 'precious' about someones ignorance?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not too sure what your point is? Not to get 'precious' about someones ignorance?

My point is that banning someone for likening another poster's behaviour to that of someone with autism yet accepting as normal the use of schizophrenia or paranoia to describe someone's behaviour is a "double standard". Even the use of schizophrenia in a directly insulting way by using the descriptive "schizo" is also apparently perfectly acceptable on here.

Personally I see nothing wrong in using any of these to refer to a way someone is behaving, it is when they are used as an intentional insult that I draw the line.

If I told you to stop being paranoid about a subject you probably wouldn't blink an eye lid so why is it different to tell someone they are behaving autistically?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
My point is that banning someone for likening another poster's behaviour to that of someone with autism yet accepting as normal the use of schizophrenia or paranoia to describe someone's behaviour is a "double standard". Even the use of schizophrenia in a directly insulting way by the using the descriptive "schizo" is also apparently perfectly acceptable on here.

Personally I see nothing wrong in using any of these to refer to a way someone is behaving, it is when they are used as an intentional insult that I draw the line.

If I told you to stop being paranoid about a subject you probably wouldn't blink an eye lid so why is it different to tell someone they are behaving autistically?

What is behaving Autistically? Please enlighten me

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
What is behaving Autistically? Please enlighten me

Well I would understand it as someone who sees the world in a different way to the majority, probably totally wrong but if I threw the question back at you, what would you understand if someone accused you of being schizophrenic?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Amazing that some people just cannot admit when they get something wrong. A ban the equivalent of being on a booking and kicking the ball away...

As for [MENTION=27275]Creaky[/MENTION], I'm on here far too much and I don't remember seeing anyone call someone else schizo, and you're link doesn't work. It may have been used, but that is a long way from saying it's acceptable. We have had a few threads about mental health as it happens, enlightening ones at that. So the premise of your argument that it's okay to use other terms belittling mental illness just don't stack up. A straw man if ever there was one to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here