Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield signing EVERYONE...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I don't think anyone could sensibly argue that they are not slightly more likely to stay up given their business so far could they? Fair play to Hudds.

Yep. Lots of pros in getting signings over the line.. That said. there's 19 other clubs strengthening their squads as well so its far too early to say.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
This in spades (no pun intended). TB, PW and CH are a good team IMO, balancing football knowledge, great research and fine negotiating skills. Udders are doing the unscientific approach: chuck a few players in the mix, stir gently and hope Wagner can make a good dish out of it. And he might, but I prefer the scientific approach of Albion.

Inevitably we have the panickers on other threads, and yes, of course it would be nice to get all the business done now, but the system just doesn't work like that, most clubs buy several games into season because of the deadline date. And let's face it - two of our better signings (Baldock and Duffy) were signed back end of August.

Lol wot. We got promoted to the Premier League with a budget of £11m with our "unscientific approach" (we'd signed 10 players by this time in the summer last season).
We get our team together early so that they can develop as a ... team. Deadline day is a mug's game.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It is not the amount you sign, but obviously the quality you sign.

Although I started this thread about Ince, actually thinking about it and the recent acquisitions they have made without being disrespectful to Huddersfield the players they have brought in are Championship stock.,
Now they could well make the grade and all well and good to Huddersfield for taking those gambles. However I believe we are looking for quality that adds to the squad, not adding to the squad to stand still which Huddersfields purchases seem to be doing to fill the loan voids of last season.

Just an opinion.

Sent from my work computer while the boss is not looking.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Lol wot. We got promoted to the Premier League with a budget of £11m with our "unscientific approach" (we'd signed 10 players by this time in the summer last season).
We get our team together early so that they can develop as a ... team. Deadline day is a mug's game.

And, as I said, it might work, I just prefer ours. I don't disrespect the Wagner approach, just think ours is better.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Yep. Lots of pros in getting signings over the line.. That said. there's 19 other clubs strengthening their squads as well so its far too early to say.

But only about 5 out the 19 others are the teams we will realistically compete with,Hudders being one,as well said earlier,wouldn't be disappointed with any of their signings so far but we must have some absolute CORKERS lined up...

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
We've just loaned out our back-up left back, so Scott Malone should be announced in 3...2....1........

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We've just loaned out our back-up left back, so Scott Malone should be announced in 3...2....1........

That would be a decent signing, surprised you're not in for more Fulham players given how they ripped you to shreds last season!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It is not the amount you sign, but obviously the quality you sign.

Although I started this thread about Ince, actually thinking about it and the recent acquisitions they have made without being disrespectful to Huddersfield the players they have brought in are Championship stock.,
Now they could well make the grade and all well and good to Huddersfield for taking those gambles. However I believe we are looking for quality that adds to the squad, not adding to the squad to stand still which Huddersfields purchases seem to be doing to fill the loan voids of last season.

Just an opinion.

Sent from my work computer while the boss is not looking.

I think its about what you need.

Huddersfield were about 4 players down just through the loanees returning to their parent clubs.

Then it's not about Player X is good or bad, it's what that team needs. We have different requirements to Huddersfield. Different roles on the pitch. It's not Top Trumps. That's said generally not at you specifically. ;)

MBTerrier

Jul 5, 2017
A couple of points from a Hudds perspective...

Our success is really more about the system than the personnel, proof of that was how well our reserves often did inc against Man City in the cup. We are incredibly well drilled and every player knows his job and those of the players around him. One of the keys last season was that we made the bulk of our signings very early so we maximised the amount of time on the training ground to ensure everyone knew the system. Clearly we're just trying to do that again. Many top managers in the Prem make the point that once the season starts there is barely any time to do tactical and positional work, pre season is key.

I'd imagine if Brighton fans even paid any attention to Hudds signings this time last year then most would have said that they were unknowns with no English football experience and not of the calibre that Brighton would want for their own team. Wagner is superb at extracting the maximum from limited resources. We may have more money now but we still are at the bottom of the pile in terms of resources - it didn't matter last year and I'm confident it won't this year. Be nice to see Brighton and Hudds stay up and shift some of the premier league deadwood out of the division!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Put it this way, if it was a game of poker, udders have just gone all in before the flop and turned their cards over, while the lizard is sitting pretty with a pile of chips and cards no-one has seen.

And the hand they have turned over is probably no better than a pair or pocket 10's.

I know who i'd be backing in the situation.

Huddersfield are behaving like Lidl, get in quick to get their retail store buily before the competitors (although arriving late on the scene), comparable quality goods with a short shelf life span.

Valid tactic in real life chess. I don't play poker. Even in chess hurried moves at the start can turn out to be weak in the end game.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
A couple of points from a Hudds perspective...

Our success is really more about the system than the personnel, proof of that was how well our reserves often did inc against Man City in the cup. We are incredibly well drilled and every player knows his job and those of the players around him. One of the keys last season was that we made the bulk of our signings very early so we maximised the amount of time on the training ground to ensure everyone knew the system. Clearly we're just trying to do that again. Many top managers in the Prem make the point that once the season starts there is barely any time to do tactical and positional work, pre season is key.

I'd imagine if Brighton fans even paid any attention to Hudds signings this time last year then most would have said that they were unknowns with no English football experience and not of the calibre that Brighton would want for their own team. Wagner is superb at extracting the maximum from limited resources. We may have more money now but we still are at the bottom of the pile in terms of resources - it didn't matter last year and I'm confident it won't this year. Be nice to see Brighton and Hudds stay up and shift some of the premier league deadwood out of the division!

It is certainly impressive your speed in doing business and getting deals over the line. We will wait until the very last minute, cross our fingers and hope for the best

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
If I'm honest all of the Huddersfield signings would get into our squad....Ince, Mooy, Williams and Mounie would all be good acquisitions. The fact they have done business early and the team have more time to Gel is even more beneficial! TBH I'm jealous of the business Huddersfield have done.
Also those saying Huddersfield have a FAR weaker squad than us, they embarrassed us and turned us over towards the end of last season at there gaff and the team will only be stronger now they have added to the squad! We need to pull our head out of the sand, take notice and make some major signings, or else the long awaited journey to the promised land may well be very short lived!

Dear oh dear.
Ince is **** and Danny Williams is light years behind Dale. Never seen the French kid and not a fan of Mooy.
They're guaranteed to finish bottom.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Decent signings.

Reckon they now have a chance of staying up.

****ing hell you too?!
After all that splurging, they have now made their squad about as good as ours is currently.
Bob Hope chance of staying up with that squad.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
****ing hell you too?!
They have now made their squad about as good as ours is currently.
Bob Hope chance of staying up with that squad.

I guess you might have said they had no chance of promotion this time last season too, if you'd been asked? Don't underestimate Germans, football history must have taught you that surely?

I am NOT jealous of any of their signings but I confess to not knowing anything about the forwards.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
they embarrassed us and turned us over towards the end of last season at there gaff
Some of you get embarrassed so easily, it's a bit pathetic. We went there without Baldock and with Norwood and Kayal in central midfield (big mistake) and gave them too much space. I can't say I was embarrassed that we finished above them with something like 5 games to go.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think you answered your own question, it means nothing come August and yes I am serious I don't think their squat is FAR weaker than ours and that's all I said. To suggest we are miles ahead of Huddersfield in terms of squad is incorrect!

We have seven first team players that missed most of last season through long term injury: Kayal, Hünemeier, Rosenior, March, Bong, Goldson, Lualua. That's quite a few players that at least five should be in contention. Albion squad was incredibly strong last season and it needed to be. It was only weak in not signing Pritchard as near the end when Baldock got injured we did not have a ready replacement.

With long term injuries it was always a problem getting the missing players up to match speed.

Even with such a strong squad we still had a left back problem against Newcastle with Bong, Pocognoli (during the match), Adekugbe, Rosenior, Hünemeier all injured and we had to play sixth choice Tomori.

Huddersfield still need a central defender. Need at least one more player whereas we need at least two.

Quantity is not the problem for us, it is quality. This may take longer to improve on the current squad and this seems cannot be done quickly. If we can't get our first choices we may miss out on our second choices by being too slow and we may start the season hoping we don't have an injury ravaged season like the last three seasons.

We have two vacant positions at striker and left back. Any other signings will mean players leaving. I dare say until these two positions are filled we would be considered to be under strength.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here