Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Abraham bribed by Swansea

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
So if this alleged £1m to pay for his family and friends to temp relocate with him to Wales? If so visas must be pretty expensive.......

I assume that none need to do a day job or maybe just work from home.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I really think he looked shit playing for the U21's. His link up play was awful, he couldn't hold up the ball and he looked completely disinterested in the 2nd half of the semi, then he fluffed a penalty. To be fair he did score on 50 mins and it was a good run and couldn't miss from 1 yard, but his attitude didn't look like it would fit in with the rest of our squad. Akpom MKII.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I really think he looked shit playing for the U21's. His link up play was awful, he couldn't hold up the ball and he looked completely disinterested in the 2nd half of the semi, then he fluffed a penalty. To be fair he did score on 50 mins and it was a good run and couldn't miss from 1 yard, but his attitude didn't look like it would fit in with the rest of our squad. Akpom MKII.

Until you said the word Akpom I totally agreed. Akpom isn't fit to count Tammy's 1 million quid out for him.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Is this news? I've not got much time for anything Crystal Palace-related but I've got a lot of sympathy for them over Spurs stealing John Bostock where I think Spurs put loads of pressure on his parents, including buying them a new house if Bostock switched clubs. Simon Jordan was fully entitled to be furious about how Spurs, Bostock's family and then the FA tribunal all behaved. The whole system is rotten to the core but we've no choice but to play along with it.

Initially I was inclined to agree with you but then had a thought. What is the difference between the scenario with Bostock, and a company paying a relocation package to an employee? If the Bostock family said, "John would love to sign for you but unfortunately we can't commit to driving him to North London 3-4 times a week for training." then offering to relocate them is not an unreasonable offer.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Initially I was inclined to agree with you but then had a thought. What is the difference between the scenario with Bostock, and a company paying a relocation package to an employee? If the Bostock family said, "John would love to sign for you but unfortunately we can't commit to driving him to North London 3-4 times a week for training." then offering to relocate them is not an unreasonable offer.

I'm sure someone like [MENTION=21414]Del Fenner[/MENTION] knows the story much better but I believe that it was the way that Spurs approached Bostock was rather underhand and then the paltry settlement that the FA tribunal set was both insulting and offered Palace no protection from another club doing the same thing again to another promising youngster. For all his faults, Jordan believed that Palace's long-term success depended on their academy and the club had invested a lot of time and money in it only to see it get cherry-picked.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I'm sure someone like [MENTION=21414]Del Fenner[/MENTION] knows the story much better but I believe that it was the way that Spurs approached Bostock was rather underhand and then the paltry settlement that the FA tribunal set was both insulting and offered Palace no protection from another club doing the same thing again to another promising youngster. For all his faults, Jordan believed that Palace's long-term success depended on their academy and the club had invested a lot of time and money in it only to see it get cherry-picked.

I heard Micky hazard worked in our academy but suddenly left to take up a similar position at Tottenham . Just after that they made contact with bostocks step father who was acting as his agent and promised them the earth ( a new motor being one of them ) they basically took the money and run . At the time Jordon was livid but the lesson in this was bostocks career nosedived and he still hasn't fulfilled his potential. It shouldn't be about the money at that age but unfortunately it nearly always is .

Lush

Mods' Pet
I've seen him play twice against us, and neither time did he look like someone a decent centre half (Duffy/Dunk) couldn't handle.

That's not to say he won't become a great player, but in a couple of months time we'll be scrapping every week for every point we can get in the Prem.

I'd rather spend money on someone who was a bit closer to the finished article.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I've seen him play twice against us, and neither time did he look like someone a decent centre half (Duffy/Dunk) couldn't handle.

That's not to say he won't become a great player, but in a couple of months time we'll be scrapping every week for every point we can get in the Prem.

I'd rather spend money on someone who was a bit closer to the finished article.

I agree. In both games against us, he didn't really come anywhere near beating our defence.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Clubs pay loan fees all the time but in this case I don't believe Chelsea were asking for one. Assuming Swansea are paying all his wages and the million, if he scores goals for them then it is a bargain. As for it being a bribe, thought all the clubs were made aware of what he wanted so it was up to them whether they wanted to pay it, same with any transfer fee and signing on fee.

Regarding Bostock, hasn't the system changed since his transfer to Spurs? Also, not going to be the player they all hoped. He's 25 and not making waves anywhere.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It was a tongue in cheek comment about Pompey's spending and your location. Bunging a family £1M to sign for a specific club is not value for money.
It is starting to get very murky, and no wonder HMRC are raiding clubs' offices.

I suggest you wait till the end of the season before deciding whether it is not value for money. If his goals keep them in the Premier league than it will be excellent value for money.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It's a good point others have pointed out, what did he do against one of the best, if not the best, defence in the championship?

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here