Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton to continue their involvement in the Checkatrade Trophy this season

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
ALBION TO COMPETE IN CHECKATRADE TROPHY

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s will compete in the Checkatrade Trophy next season.

Albion expressed their desire to take part in the tournament last month after the EFL confirmed that academy sides would be taking part in the competition again in 2017/18.

Simon Rusk’s side enjoyed a successful first foray in the tournament last season, reaching the third round after beating the likes of AFC Wimbledon and Leyton Orient.

Competition rules state that a minimum of six players from the starting 11 must be under the age of 21 as of 30th June 2017.

The full list of category one teams taking part are as follows:

Brighton & Hove Albion

Chelsea

Everton

Fulham

Leicester City

Manchester City

Middlesbrough

Newcastle United

Reading

Southampton

Stoke City

Sunderland

Swansea City

Tottenham Hotspur

West Bromwich Albion

West Ham United

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Maybe they'll get a game round here-hope so!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Whatever you think about it , it gives the fringe players and those returning from injury a chance of a competitive game , last seasons final was attended by just under 75k fans between Coventry and Oxford .

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The low point was Luton getting fined for putting out a weakened team (that knocked out a couple of Premium U23 sides). Farce.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It was last year too I think, and it was generally considered to be a complete disaster.

Yeah - that's why I'm surprised they've continued with the idea.

Though I don't really know why I'm surprised because it obviously benefits the top clubs and so was guaranteed to continue.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yeah - that's why I'm surprised they've continued with the idea.

Though I don't really know why I'm surprised because it obviously benefits the top clubs and so was guaranteed to continue.

I think it was only a complete disaster as the league clubs got fined for fielding youth players for some reason.

I believe they have corrected it.

Still a shit idea

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
ALBION TO COMPETE IN CHECKATRADE TROPHY

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s will compete in the Checkatrade Trophy next season.

Albion expressed their desire to take part in the tournament last month after the EFL confirmed that academy sides would be taking part in the competition again in 2017/18.

Simon Rusk’s side enjoyed a successful first foray in the tournament last season, reaching the third round after beating the likes of AFC Wimbledon and Leyton Orient.

Competition rules state that a minimum of six players from the starting 11 must be under the age of 21 as of 30th June 2017.

The full list of category one teams taking part are as follows:

Brighton & Hove Albion

Chelsea

Everton

Fulham

Leicester City

Manchester City

Middlesbrough

Newcastle United

Reading

Southampton

Stoke City

Sunderland

Swansea City

Tottenham Hotspur

West Bromwich Albion

West Ham United

Did Palace opt out of competing then?

;)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A good opportunity for new grounds

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't count anything but first team games for my ground count.

I also won't be attending this nonsense on principal. Hideously elitist to play under 23 sides against lower league opposition. I don't like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here