Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burger King wins

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There used to be a BK in the old Barclays on the Dials. That closed swiftly from what I recall.
Personally I don't care what they do with the seafront, within reason, it's been a dump for two decades now. I lived in Brighton for 17 years and rarely went to the seafront. Far nicer beaches with far less people and far nicer cafes etc all up and down the Sussex Coast all within daytripping distance. And you don't have to poke up with every hipster twonk whose rocked up in Brighton with nothing but a pair of bongoes and a dream.

I love Brighton, but I never go down the front. The only time I ever venture near the pier is when we have friends down and they ask to go. The reaction of myself and Mrs Hamilton is usually one of incredulity ("You really want to go there?") and then reluctance. Much sooner get back into the heat of the town.

I've always said that Brighton is a city that just so happens to be next to the sea. As a Brightonian, I couldn't give two figs for the seaside.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
PS - I'll add that I would much sooner that Bison had won over BK, but it seems the landlord was set against. Still, it's up to the landlord who he rents it to.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Some history being re-written here. It's only in recent times that Brighton has (sadly IMO but I'm in a minority) tried to re-invent itself as a sort of alternative, quirky 'out there' student and hipster-central type of place. Previously it was a cheap 'n' cheerful seaside resort, a kind of southern Blackpool, with a bit of a seedy side. As I mentioned on the 'Marina' thread it was once described by Keith Waterhouse as "always looking like it's helping the police with their enquiries".

It's always disappointing when a pub closes, but I'd MUCH rather it were a Burger King than some chi-chi joint selling gourmet burgers. The spirit of Old Brighton lives on!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think people need to chill on the hipster thing personally, I don't come across that many.

And the distaste for craft beer is odd too tbh. The beer scene in this town is excellent now and that's down to the locals (and their connections) doing good craft beer. Why the hate?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There used to be a BK in the old Barclays on the Dials. That closed swiftly from what I recall.
Personally I don't care what they do with the seafront, within reason, it's been a dump for two decades now. I lived in Brighton for 17 years and rarely went to the seafront. Far nicer beaches with far less people and far nicer cafes etc all up and down the Sussex Coast all within daytripping distance. And you don't have to poke up with every hipster twonk whose rocked up in Brighton with nothing but a pair of bongoes and a dream.

Another thread where you have no interest in the subject in question, but still wish to broadcast your tedious misery.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think people need to chill on the hipster thing personally, I don't come across that many.

And the distaste for craft beer is odd too tbh. The beer scene in this town is excellent now and that's down to the locals (and their connections) doing good craft beer. Why the hate?

Too kool for skool, guy...

It's nothing to do with them, so the default ignorance setting is 'hate' or 'misery' or 'accuse' or... you choose.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Burger King have definitely improved in recent years,and are a good alternative to a kebab after a friday sesh.And Economics graduates have to get a job somewhere.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And while I would much rather a bar than a BK (I'd like rather have a heart attack than BK) and while I love that pubs have more choice now, dedicated craft pubs jumping on the hipster bandwagon are run by ***** and full of *****.

The craft pubs are now dividing into two. Those that know their stuff and those jumping on the band wagon and know bugger all. And some of the punters Brewdog now attracts leave a lot to be desired as well; I think they need to be careful or they'll lose a lot of goodwill.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The craft pubs are now dividing into two. Those that know their stuff and those jumping on the band wagon and know bugger all. And some of the punters Brewdog now attracts leave a lot to be desired as well; I think they need to be careful or they'll lose a lot of goodwill.

This.

From my experience, there are two groups of people who go to craft pubs:

1. Those that actually go for the beer.

2. Those that want to be part of the trendy craft beer culture.

Unfortunately, it seems to be the second group that you see far more of.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This.

From my experience, there are two groups of people who go to craft pubs:

1. Those that actually go for the beer.

2. Those that want to be part of the trendy craft beer culture.

Unfortunately, it seems to be the second group that you see far more of.

I'd say there's a very clear 3rd group developing. And that's geezers wanting to get shitted on strong premium beer. I was in Brewdog Brighton after the Brizzle game and it was very pleasant. Then a huge group of geezers came in repeatedly buying large rounds of pints of Punk IPA and getting louder and louder and then started watching the boxing on a phone. They completely changed, and dominated, the atmosphere. Same with a stag do in Brum Saturday before the Villa game. Large group drinking nothing but pints of Punk IPA and getting louder and louder.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Would prefer a boozer but a Burger King ain't too bad.

Quite enjoy a double whopper and large fries whilst shit faced.

I once went in a Burger King in Lanzarote that sold beer. True story.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Anymore than a couple of pints of Punk and you're done for IMO. I can't even comprehend drinking 5 and I'm WELL good at boozing.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Two very different towns. Blackpool has declined along with the attraction of the great British seaside holiday. Same as many others. Brighton has declined in a very different way, its decline lies at the feet of slow and steady corporate takeover and successive councils doing more and more for corporatIon and tourists and next to nothing to improve the lot of its residents. This is why it hasn't drastically physically deteriorated, it's always been a little dirty but the quality of Brighton is in rapid decline.

Well, that's my take on it. Might be wrong.

The reason Brighton is going downhill is because it is varying to be toooooo liberal and trendy. The local authority should stop spending money where it is not NEEDED, (sexuality groups, travellers, other minority lifestyle organisations) and actually spend on the INFRASTRUCTURE of the city before the problems become insurmountable like Madeira Drive. Oh well, too late.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I'd say there's a very clear 3rd group developing. And that's geezers wanting to get shitted on strong premium beer. I was in Brewdog Brighton after the Brizzle game and it was very pleasant. Then a huge group of geezers came in repeatedly buying large rounds of pints of Punk IPA and getting louder and louder and then started watching the boxing on a phone. They completely changed, and dominated, the atmosphere. Same with a stag do in Brum Saturday before the Villa game. Large group drinking nothing but pints of Punk IPA and getting louder and louder.

Just out of curiosity: do they serve double and triple IPA in a pint glass? My local pub (bar) will only serve it in a 3/4 pint glass because of the ABV.

*land of the free, the pursuit of happiness and all that*

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton

Not sure I agree. SO MANY of the pubs are part of a big chain now they're all the same.

Such a shame.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I don't think there's a 'hatred'? I personally have absolutely no problems with pubs selling craft beer (or gourmet burgers for that matter), or with people who like them. And I did say on the 'Bison Arms' thread it was a shame the people were jerked around by the landlord.

If anything there's a 'hatred' against those of us who like chain stores and whose favourite snack is a Ginsters pasty washed down with a can of Kronie (and those of us who much preferred the PPT before it was ponced up). We're the Brexit-voting untermensch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here