Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robert Codner - Empty Shirt!

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Barry Fry story:

There was another time, again at Barnet, we was 3-0 down at half-time. I gave them a right bollocking and they went out second half and won 4-3. Magnificent performance. I was on the pitch at the end saying, "Well done, Ian, well done, Tom, well done, Dick, ****ing marvellous. You, Codner, ****ing empty shirt." And this is Robert Codner. He come up to me, face to face, he said, "What did you say?" I said, "You ****ing empty shirt." And he went to headbutt me. But you know when someone draws their head back? I sort of jerked back myself and of course I ****ing fell arse over tit in the mud. I got up, continued to say well done to the lads and then I went back in the dressing-room. I saw Robert, I said, "Robert?" He said, "What?" And I ****ing give him a right-hander.

But we sat in the bath after and we had a right laugh about it. And then Stan come in, big Stan Flashman [Barnet's then-owner], and he said, "Barry, I want to see you." So I jumped out of the bath. "The FA are here, they was going to pick Robert for the England non-league squad, but I've seen what he done to you and I want him kicked out of the club." I said, "**** off, Stan. He didn't do nothing. I was abusing him, it was slippery and I fell over." He said, "It looked like he headbutted you." I said, "Look at my face! You'd know if he'd headbutted me."

I went to the FA afterward, I set them straight and they picked him. About six months later, we sold him to Brighton for £115,000. It just shows you how you can deal with things. If I'd made a fuss about that, we wouldn't have got that money, and that was a ****ing lot of money in those days.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Other than Millwall in the play offs he was a player that flattered to deceive. I reckon he made about 50% of the ability he had. Complete contrast to Johnny Crumplin who at a similar time made 100% of every last bit of talent he had. Great example of how hard work is often more important than talent.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Codner was so frustrating.
He's one of a handful of players that I so expected and wanted to be 'extra' good... and it just never really happened apart from the odd game here and there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Codnor would be England's greatest ever player, were he in his prime now...

...what with there being TV cameras at every game.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I remember he arrived from Barnet with Nicky Bissett. Codner had a lot of ability but his attitude stunk. Bissett, on the other hand, was average, plagued by injuries but would run through walls for his team.

Other than that, the above story just confirms what a dinosaur Barry Fry is and what a thug he once was. Good luck to CMS with that as a father-in-law.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Other than Millwall in the play offs he was a player that flattered to deceive. I reckon he made about 50% of the ability he had. Complete contrast to Johnny Crumplin who at a similar time made 100% of every last bit of talent he had. Great example of how hard work is often more important than talent.

Exactly. One decent game, otherwise mediocre at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Suspect he would have struggled in the modern game as his physicality wasn't enough. A bit lanky legged and wafer thin at times.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
He also had handbags with Dean Wilkins (away at Orient?) and Kurt Nogan (home to Burnley)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

that says it it all - talent is one thing but the correct attitude counts for a lot more

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I worked with his cousin at the time. Her family used to laugh about his attitude. She loved laughing at my reports of his good/bad moments and the fans frustration or sometimes elation.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Him and Wilkins was a really talented but incredibly lightweight midfield pairing. How many successful tackles did they make between them per season? How many attempts at a tackle did they make.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
I remember him curling a sublime finish past Bob Boulder in goal for Charlton - right of front of me in the north. Great talent. When he could be arsed.

Jul 7, 2003
One of the very very few Albion players that I have shouted abuse at from the stands. He was just so.......frustrating. must have been hell to play with.

As someone generally mild mannered - Codner was responsible for the one time I got close to punch up in the old North Stand as another Albion 'fan' was racially abusing him. Yes, he was frustrating, but this bloke was taking it too far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here