Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you LIKE being busy?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I was planning retirement and settling down. Got the cat etc. The allotment would have been the icing on the cake as we'd already cultivated her overgrown back garden and wanted to get extra growing area as we're both into fresh veg etc.

Cannot beat eating your own produce :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm a freelancer: if I'm not busy, it means I'm not working, which means no money.

I've been busy this week but next one looks worryingly empty ... I'd definitely rather be busy

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
I find that when I go on holiday, for the 1st few days I can't unwind but then I start to relax and the longer the holiday the more sloth like I become. Not sure that's a good thing, it's a shock to the system when I go back to work!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Random one for the good folk of NSC here. Yesterday I finished my job before a long, long summer holiday, what I have noticed however is that fill up my free time with loads of stuff whether that be gym, extra work, sorting stuff out for the flat, meeting friends, day trips whatever but I am finding it increasingly difficult to chill and do nothing! I got offered extra work today and snapped it up rather than enjoying my first day of holidays.

I either find myself feeling guilty if I try to sit down and watch a film (like I am wasting my life) or my mind starts to wander into worry. I do genuinely like being busy and have little tasks and hobbies to complete but also wonder if I am keeping busy to stop the mind wandering.

Anyone else experience this?

Same as you, a fidget, if it's not work, it's starting new home or garden projects, fitness, study, tidying up, etc. Always a long list of chores to do. I know a few other guys who are exactly the same. Do-ers.

I found the best antidote is to get into good films and Netflix series, ditch web devices (not just now) and chill. Also reading books whether it be novels, biographies or factual texts.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I like to be busy but I like to be in control of organising my time. I'm not great at spontaneously reacting to what other people want me to do.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Random one for the good folk of NSC here. Yesterday I finished my job before a long, long summer holiday, what I have noticed however is that fill up my free time with loads of stuff whether that be gym, extra work, sorting stuff out for the flat, meeting friends, day trips whatever but I am finding it increasingly difficult to chill and do nothing! I got offered extra work today and snapped it up rather than enjoying my first day of holidays.

I either find myself feeling guilty if I try to sit down and watch a film (like I am wasting my life) or my mind starts to wander into worry. I do genuinely like being busy and have little tasks and hobbies to complete but also wonder if I am keeping busy to stop the mind wandering.

I retired exactly a year ago, and what you've written is exactly my experience - EXACTLY! I could have written what you have written just after I finished working. In my case, having worked for 44 years, same routine day after day, although what I had to do was different each day when I got there, I was so "routineised", it took me months before it dawned on me that you don't have to do anything any more. I try to live in the "Now", and not worry what other people are up to, even if it seems a lot more glamorous than what you are getting up to. I now take my time doing everything. For example, instead of rushing in the supermarket on the way to work to buy bread, I stroll along to the bakers taking in all the things around me that I hadn't had time to notice before, and return home via a circular route to get a bit of fresh air. Just a simple change, but lots simple little changes make life very pleasant. I now spend much more time taking photos, visiting and helping people. People that I had spoken to who had retired said that they didn't know how they had the time to work. I am now at the stage where I am now also preaching that gospel. You will reach this stage soon, I assure you. You have now earned the right to do f-all if you wish, without having to feel guilty. That's what finishing work is all about. However, have a go occasionally at leaving your comfort zone. That's always a good thing to do.
I haven't got a "Bucket List". I play each day as it comes.
Just make sure that you have something to look forwards to every day, even if it's something trivial like watching your favourite TV programme, having a bath, or shopping for bread!
What ever you do has to beat working?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Same as you, a fidget, if it's not work, it's starting new home or garden projects, fitness, study, tidying up, etc. Always a long list of chores to do. I know a few other guys who are exactly the same. Do-ers.

I found the best antidote is to get into good films and Netflix series, ditch web devices (not just now) and chill. Also reading books whether it be novels, biographies or factual texts.

I travel a lot and find I really like a plane journey as it forces me to read as I cannot do anything else!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I retired exactly a year ago, and what you've written is exactly my experience - EXACTLY! I could have written what you have written just after I finished working. In my case, having worked for 44 years, same routine day after day, although what I had to do was different each day when I got there, I was so "routineised", it took me months before it dawned on me that you don't have to do anything any more. I try to live in the "Now", and not worry what other people are up to, even if it seems a lot more glamorous than what you are getting up to. I now take my time doing everything. For example, instead of rushing in the supermarket on the way to work to buy bread, I stroll along to the bakers taking in all the things around me that I hadn't had time to notice before, and return home via a circular route to get a bit of fresh air. Just a simple change, but lots simple little changes make life very pleasant. I now spend much more time taking photos, visiting and helping people. People that I had spoken to who had retired said that they didn't know how they had the time to work. I am now at the stage where I am now also preaching that gospel. You will reach this stage soon, I assure you. You have now earned the right to do f-all if you wish, without having to feel guilty. That's what finishing work is all about. However, have a go occasionally at leaving your comfort zone. That's always a good thing to do.
I haven't got a "Bucket List". I play each day as it comes.
Just make sure that you have something to look forwards to every day, even if it's something trivial like watching your favourite TV programme, having a bath, or shopping for bread!
What ever you do has to beat working?

Nice post. I fly to Central america next Thursday for a month so that is my next project. I like your stuff about taking time though, I always fell in a rush even if its popping into the supermarket.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I see work as a necessary evil, only sometimes satisfying.
Need a big lotto win so that I can enjoy rest of time on earth.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

100% relate to this. I've always worked fairly long hours, travelled abroad with work a lot and commuted into London from Sussex, plus have outside interests so kind of always on the go. 3 years ago a restructure at work allowed me to negotiate an exit after several years at the firm, with nothing immediately lined up. I saw it, in part, as a test of whether I was ready to slow down (I was 48 at the time). The first month was great - did a few long-oustanding chores, went to the gym every day, several days out/pub lunches, bit of golf and fishing etc. However, even after a month I was getting bored and fidgety and knew it wasn't time to stop work (wasn't financially viable anyway, but could have considered something lower key/less time draining). I accepted another job and started about 4 months later, which has been manic for 2.5 years but I love it. Travelling a bit too much at the moment but otherwise manageable as I work from home a couple of days a week.

When I'm doing 'nothing' I definitely get twitchy, like I should be doing something - whether it's chores, work or exercise, always have this sense that every minute needs to be 'used'. As a result (as someone else has indicated) I find flights hugely relaxing as I can't do anything that would be bugging me to do (me time).

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I tend to procrastinate a lot these days and then have to panic to get everything done.
I know I'm doing it, but just can't seem to stop myself.
I'm like this with jobs around the house as well, there are some major tasks there that have to be done but I just keep putting them off with some excuse or other.
Usually to play music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here