Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North Europe road trip - tips for places to see on the way please

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Antwerp. Great night out. The Hague, has a beach!

Antwerp has a cracking train station (one of the favourites I've encountered, alongside Berlin and Florence), but I suspect that's out the question on [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]'s trip.
I'm actually going on a short drive break to Bruges and Ghent in the first few days of August, so this is a well timed thread for me.
I can recommend the Zollverein (ex-)colliery in the Ruhrbegeit (sp), if that's not too much of a detour. I also spent five years of my early life in Scheveningen, The Hague is worth a look in general.
One of my German friends (and an East Stand ST holder) describes Hamburg as not too dissimilar to Brighton, which sounds like a recommendation to me.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
I must admit I've never heard of Hameln. Hamburg is great fun and a city I have a lot of time for. I have looked at the route from Ghent to Hamburg and I am afraid I don't have much personal experience of that side of Germany. Koln is nice but Hamburg is my preference. If you fancy detouring even further I'd highly recommend Leipzig which has a very good arts and culture scene and a lot of cool shit going on. And if you venture there then continue up the road and pop round mine for a cuppa or a craft beer.

Where in Berlin are you located?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Antwerp has a cracking train station (one of the favourites I've encountered, alongside Berlin and Florence), but I suspect that's out the question on [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]'s trip.
I'm actually going on a short drive break to Bruges and Ghent in the first few days of August, so this is a well timed thread for me.
I can recommend the Zollverein (ex-)colliery in the Ruhrbegeit (sp), if that's not too much of a detour. I also spent five years of my early life in Scheveningen, The Hague is worth a look in general.
One of my German friends (and an East Stand ST holder) describes Hamburg as not too dissimilar to Brighton, which sounds like a recommendation to me.

Lived there for 8 years. In Noordeinde no less. Neighbours were a bit stuck up though :lol:

Jospeh

Oct 28, 2016
Ostend is awful place. Why on earth are you planning on stopping their twice? Go to Bruges/Ghent or Ghent/Antwerp on the way out and do the one you miss on the way back.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ostend is awful place. Why on earth are you planning on stopping their twice? Go to Bruges/Ghent or Ghent/Antwerp on the way out and do the one you miss on the way back.

Literally just sleeping there as times are convenient for the channel tunnel, not planning on spending any time there.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Try the banana bar in Amsterdam,great floor shows with audience participation (appeared live on stage there on my 21st)
Not sure if it's still the same but second Thursday of every month used to fisting night.
Hope this helps.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Try the banana bar in Amsterdam,great floor shows with audience participation (appeared live on stage there on my 21st)
Not sure if it's still the same but second Thursday of every month used to fisting night.
Hope this helps.

You could always change your username to FYFFES, that's Dutch for FFS :wink:
Did the banana bar on my mates stag night, back in the late 90's, also paid for him to do a bit of late night shopping, where they close the curtains in certain shop fronts :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ha. One of my German friends told me many years ago "you British will like Hamburg....it's by the water and the weather is shit."

He has a point. I get what your friend says as well.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You would have such a very good time
Such a fine time
Such a happy time
Grrrr. Was just about to post he was going to Denmark for nothing as Aarhus is in the middle of our street.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here