Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Major revamp for Sky Sports...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...annels-prices-football-golf-cricket?CMP=fb_gu

Sky is scrapping its numbered sports channels and replacing them with themed offerings focused on specific sports – led by football, golf and cricket – as it combats falling viewer numbers with a branding revamp and a cheaper viewing package.

The retirement of Sky Sports 1,2,3,4 and 5 and the introduction of a new package two-thirds cheaper than current prices represents a major shakeup of the strategy that has made Rupert Murdoch’s Sky a pay-TV powerhouse.

The new offering will result in the launch of themed channels, like Sky’s existing dedicated Formula One channel, for its top-flight sports including football – which will get two channels – golf and cricket. A new channel, Sky Sports Arena, will host other content including rugby and tennis.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Whilst BT is likely to increase prices over the next 12 months to pay for the Ashes Tests , Premier League Games and Champions League matches.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I realised how desperate Sky are for customer retention last week. I played "hardball" and said I was leaving (I didn't really want to but I was paying too much)

2 days later I got a call back and they halved the price of my whole package (tv, phone, broadband, sky sports, HD).

I was expecting to wait at least 2 weeks before they called me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
blimey, its almost as if competition works.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I realised how desperate Sky are for customer retention last week. I played "hardball" and said I was leaving (I didn't really want to but I was paying too much)

2 days later I got a call back and they halved the price of my whole package (tv, phone, broadband, sky sports, HD).

I was expecting to wait at least 2 weeks before they called me.

Numbers are down, much how they want to they can't stop Kodi and the like.

They are screwed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
blimey, its almost as if competition works.

Or the acknowledgement that targeting 'Sports' fans is too wide a target market. Just because you like Sport A, it in no way follows that you'd give the time of day to watch Sport B, Sport C etc.

In fact fans of just Sport A are invariably a bit sniffy about watching Sport A from different leagues and different countries/continents.

It's all edging towards signing up to a dedicated club channel for live matches. That'll be the end game.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Then join Virgin and receive Sky Sports through them

Unless I've missed some massive Virgin leap forward in technology you still need cables for a Virgin 'Tivo' box ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
How do you get your electricity supplied and distributed around your house??

He lives next to a giant transformer and uses electromagnetic induction to power all his devices.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Binned Sky Sports two or three years ago, and I've certainly not been tempted back. Sure Kodi is a bit flakey, you can't always rely on it. But its better than spending £90-odd a month on Sky's rip-off top packages. Greed got the better of them, with the incessant rises off the back of that absolutely ridiculous £5.5bn they paid for their share of the PL. Since then, they've lost the Champions League, the FA Cup and England qualifiers, replaced with junk like the Chinese "Super" League, MLS and Eredevisie. Seriously, who the hell wants to watch that ??

They killed the goose that laid the golden eggs, now they're paying for it. Idiots.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Couldn't see a start date or what they will offer to existing customers (or just say nothing until they ring up)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
17 or 18 July start, They have been planning this for about 6 months, Sky used to be a really good employer, but lately it has really gone downhill.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Couldn't see a start date or what they will offer to existing customers (or just say nothing until they ring up)

Just checked and their appears to be a £10 a month for 3 months offer for existing customers. £18 a month after that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here