Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bumper Payrise for Her Majesty

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Not this again. You have absolutely NO IDEA what she generates, none of us do. Secondly, even if it were true, it comes at a cost of true democracy.

True democracy. What does that mean I'm a bit of a thickie see. Is that where someone who comes in second in an election has his supporters trying to overthrow the party who won most seats and got most votes. Or it is only worth mentioning democracy when its suits our own needs.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You can tell the true ****wits on a thread, when they answer their own posts, with their own points further down the same thread. I love reading the lefties posts. Some of them are so thick and blinkered its hilarious!!!

It's hard to know where to begin with your tiresome nonsense. Just as it seems you couldn't be thicker than already proven, you go and surpass yourself. Firstly, I'm not a "lefty" - I'm slightly left of centre. You can tar me with a liberal brush if you like, but I wouldn't ever vote for 90% taxes. I just don't so see blatant injustice, which is exactly what this is.

Secondly, I don't know exactly what the Brexit bill will be because it is yet to be negotiated, but regardless I don't need to in order to make my point because I do know it will be in the magnitude of billions in the short term - even the pro-Brexit people on here would admit that. Not you though, as you're clearly a simpleton. My point being that we have absolutely loads to pay for, so why are giving a huge pay increase to the one of the nation's biggest spongers?

True democracy. What does that mean I'm a bit of a thickie see. Is that where someone who comes in second in an election has his supporters trying to overthrow the party who won most seats and got most votes. Or it is only worth mentioning democracy when its suits our own needs.
FFS, there you go again. I'm not a pro Corbyn lefty you thick tit. :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's hard to know where to begin with your tiresome nonsense. Just as it seems you couldn't be thicker than already proven, you go and surpass yourself. Firstly, I'm not a "lefty" - I'm slightly left of centre. You can tar me with a liberal brush if you like, but I wouldn't ever vote for 90% taxes. I just don't so see blatant injustice, which is exactly what this is.

Secondly, I don't know exactly what the Brexit bill will be because it is yet to be negotiated, but regardless I don't need to in order to make my point because I do know it will be in the magnitude of billions in the short term - even the pro-Brexit people on here would admit that. Not you though, as you're clearly a simpleton. My point being that we have absolutely loads to pay for, so why are giving a huge pay increase to the one of the nation's biggest spongers?

FFS, there you go again. I'm not a pro Corbyn lefty you thick tit. :lolol:

I thought you handled that pretty well. :thumbsup:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Well deserved payrise for the Queen

:bowdown:

8% or £6m increase this year for her hard work.

Head of the Privy Purse said the Queen was 'excellent value for money'.

"When you look at these accounts, the bottom line is the Sovereign Grant last year equated to 65p per person, per annum, in the United Kingdom.

"That's the price of a first class stamp.

"Consider that against what the Queen does and represents for this country, I believe it represents excellent value for money. In fact I would argue she deserves far more but the selfless lady she is she would not accept anything more than she gets."

The Royal family Plc brings more into this country than most businesses so republicans go fucxxxx yourself. I would not want the job.

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
We should send her to the tower, and lob of her head, and use Buckingham Palace for immigrants.

Send May and the tories there, and put JC in charge.

Obviously the money we lose from tourists and her estate, we could cover by putting up corporation tax!

Oh wait, putting up corporation tax doesn't increase revenue it decreases it, so to cover that we could put up the top rate of income tax for anyone earning over one million.

Oh Wait, they'll just leave the country and pay taxes elsewhere or use tax avoidance scheme set up by Labour like the one Linekar used, so the money we lose from that we can raise by the introduction a new wealth tax, and any with over hundred grand in their account or house, we will make a one of tax of 50% for that.

Oh wait, everything will crash, so we can raise the money by borrowing it of China.

Oh wait, we will be in so much debt that the Chinese will call in the loans, we will lose our triple A rating, the pound will become worthless, inflation will be rampant, there will be more unemployed than employed, and the country will be in ruins, but at least immigration will go down, and they'll all go elsewhere for work.....

Oh wait, we will be in the shit then with no where to turn, but never mind we can have a general election and the Tories will win it, and we can all blame those wankers for cutting services and borrowing more than we ever have done before!!! Scummy bloody Tories.

U k hun?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally, without interviewing every tourist, I don't see how you would know whether visitors are inspired to come here because of our rich history, our architecture, our museums, our glorious countryside...........and how many come because we have the Queen.
Research on all things is done by collecting data from a sample cross section of people, they don't do it by interviewing everyone.

But if you can prove that the Royal Family are earning more than they cost, I will have to think again.
There's a fair bit of research on it already, and it's affected by bias from opposing sides. It's big figures that are talked about though, which somewhat dwarf the amount we pay queen

But aside from that point, I think it is disgraceful that we give the Queen an 8% pay rise and 1% (if that) to our nurses.
Well I agree with you there. I don't see why she's getting a pay rise at all, it's not like she'd quit.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
So, we get rid of the monarchy and get what in its place. An elected President to represent us worldwide. And who do we elect Corbyn, May, Blair,? Would you seriously want someone of that ilk as our head of State.? God forbid. We only need to look at the USA to see what happens - Nixon, Clinton, Dubya Bush, Trump.

yes, you get someone who is DEMOCRATICALLY elected.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
By 'true democracy', I take you mean an elected head of State?

**** that, I wouldn't trust the vast majority of this country to wipe its own arse, let alone vote for a president.

Actually, I meant that the royal family in it's entirety is completely unaccountable. Imagine Prince Andrew mowed down a pedestrian at 90mph in his car? Do you honestly believe he'd be put away? Or would it all be covered up? That's the non-financial cost of an un-elected head of state.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
not remotely one of the largest landowners (though the Monarch holds vast amounts of land across Canada and other countries).
its not personal wealth, its used to pay for the running of the monarchy (palaces, state occasions so on).
it is unfortunate timing, alas this is when the Crown Estate accounts are released.

we need to understand the difference between the person and the role of head of state.

and it would be a good gesture to spend on the Grenfell victims, though the running count for them must be over £30m, they dont need money they need housing.

Still, giving her 'pay rise' to charity would be a nice gesture. Does she need it?

Just another reason for a Republic in my opinion.

But each to their own I guess.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
By 'true democracy', I take you mean an elected head of State?

**** that, I wouldn't trust the vast majority of this country to wipe its own arse, let alone vote for a president.

You don't have to radically change our parliamentary democratic model or have a public vote for a state figurehead. The Germans manage with a Federal President who is elected head of state from their federal convention i.e. 'upper house' but has no executive powers. This person serves a 5 year term and often comes from an exemplary service in politics.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Actually, I meant that the royal family in it's entirety is completely unaccountable. Imagine Prince Andrew mowed down a pedestrian at 90mph in his car? Do you honestly believe he'd be put away? Or would it all be covered up? That's the non-financial cost of an un-elected head of state.
But if the Russian ambassador mowed down a pedestrian at 90mph he wouldn't be put away either. Or do you think we should also get shot of diplomatic immunity?

The 'pay rise' is not just extra disposable income for the queen to spunk as she likes, it's to pay for additional repairs/upkeep on the crown estate, such as Buck House. The Queen doesn't own it she just looks after it.

Hard as it may be to believe some countries that like to trade with Britain feel more positively towards making agreements to buy stuff from our big countries when we send senior members of the royal family to trade meetings and the like. It's a foreigners'' ego thing but it seems to work. We're going to need all of the 'UK sales team' available once we're out of the EU in order to get more non-EU sales to replace the EU ones we lose.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
But if the Russian ambassador mowed down a pedestrian at 90mph he wouldn't be put away either. Or do you think we should also get shot of diplomatic immunity?

The 'pay rise' is not just extra disposable income for the queen to spunk as she likes, it's to pay for additional repairs/upkeep on the crown estate, such as Buck House. The Queen doesn't own it she just looks after it.

Hard as it may be to believe some countries that like to trade with Britain feel more positively towards making agreements to buy stuff from our big countries when we send senior members of the royal family to trade meetings and the like. It's a foreigners'' ego thing but it seems to work. We're going to need all of the 'UK sales team' available once we're out of the EU in order to get more non-EU sales to replace the EU ones we lose.

who are these senior member of the royal family you speak of? attending trade meetings etc,

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
What's wrong with a 2nd class stamp pay rise? Shop at Asda or Aldi, drive C1's, clothes M&S, sign on at the NHS dentist and GP,
loads of savings there, and surely some of those spare princes, princesses and others down the pecking order can handle a paint brush and order stock from B&Q to give the palace a spring clean?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
£328M income to the Treasury from the Crown Estate for St James market, without all the other income.

As for refurbishing Buckingham Palace, do you think American tax payers contribute to the upkeep of the White House, or French tax payers for the Elycee Palace?

The 65p that British tax payers contribute is for security, so they don't get kidnapped or assissnated. We'd have to pay a similar amount to keep a President safe.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

The key difference there is that diplomatic immunity is a necessary evil and we can't do anything about it unilaterally. On the other hand, we ought to be able to ensure all of our people are the same in the eyes of our law. Quite clearly, the Royal family (and not just the head of state) are all above the law. Some of what Prince Andrew has done would have seen anyone else up in court and possibly thrown in jail.

And your argument about the Queen "looking after" Buck Palace has always grated with me. When it comes to Royalty, who owns what has always been shrouded in confusion and secrecy*. Nobody really knows, and frankly nobody is making her stay at the palace anyway.

Anyway I think I'm done here. I find it so depressing that such a large majority in this country doesn't even question whether or not a monarchy is needed in this country. Fine to have that view, but to blithely accept huge financial increases to fund the privileged especially at a time like this really does sadden me.

*They are even protected in parliament by being excluded from various laws designed to improve transparency in various legal matters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here