Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hesitancy at Roundabouts

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Increasingly these days I find myself approaching roundabouts to find nobody moving because everyone is trying to give way, waiting for the car to their right to go. Happens so often but I can't remember this happening in the past. (Unless I've got too old to remember)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Increasingly these days I find myself approaching roundabouts to find nobody moving because everyone is trying to give way, waiting for the car to their right to go. Happens so often but I can't remember this happening in the past. (Unless I've got too old to remember)
A knock on effect from the reduction in people signaling. With use of indictors now going out of fashion, then drivers have to be doubly sure before guessing another driver's intention, hence more caution at roundabouts.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The only reason I'm more hesitant at roundabouts nowadays is that no-one bloody indicates anymore.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Unexpectedly not entering a roundabout (when it is empty) seems to be a common cause of accidents. Of course it is the responsibility of the driver who does the rear-ending, but this dithering is bloody infuriating.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I guarantee the drivers that are hesitant at roundabouts are the same people who struggle with self service checkouts in supermarkets and/or are painfully slow going through airport security. Nimrods.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I guarantee the drivers that are hesitant at roundabouts are the same people who struggle with self service checkouts in supermarkets and/or are painfully slow going through airport security. Nimrods.
Who doesn't struggle with self service checkouts...?

"Please put your item in the bagging area..."

"It is in f****** bagging area you utter, utter **** !!!!'....

[emoji38]ol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
A knock on effect from the reduction in people signaling. With use of indictors now going out of fashion, then drivers have to be doubly sure before guessing another driver's intention, hence more caution at roundabouts.

Spot on.
There is a roundabout on the A259 in Newhaven, if I'm driving from Newhaven to Seaford I always try to second guess what the driver coming the other way is going to do.
Cars coming from Seaford ( A259) indicate right on the roundabout but go straight over towards Newhaven, some drivers don't indicate but turn right at the roundabout towards Denton.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
had an interesting one last evening. Mini roundabout with three roads, all minor B ones. Three of us literally approached at same time and same distance, all indicating a right turn, all stoped watching who felt they had right of way. Never had one like that before

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Yes, this. Well not just not signalling, but signalling wrong. I would say >50% of people signal wrong, at roundabouts, particularly signalling right to go round a roundabout but then not cancelling it when they get to their exit.

Spot on.
There is a roundabout on the A259 in Newhaven, if I'm driving from Newhaven to Seaford I always try to second guess what the driver coming the other way is going to do.
Cars coming from Seaford ( A259) indicate right on the roundabout but go straight over towards Newhaven, some drivers don't indicate but turn right at the roundabout towards Denton.

Both of the roundabouts either side of Sainsburys seem to be particularly bad for some reason. I do think a lot of these problems could be removed if the lanes were very clearly marked (or if people learned to use their indicators.

I hesitated at this one last year.
Swindon3.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
had an interesting one last evening. Mini roundabout with three roads, all minor B ones. Three of us literally approached at same time and same distance, all indicating a right turn, all stoped watching who felt they had right of way. Never had one like that before

Mex eyecan standoff - quite common, edge forwards slowly and if the car to your right moves, then stop. Otherwise continue to edge across :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is one positive to come from roundabout faffing:-

I can nip through on my bike while all the death carriages are having a Mexican standoff.

Sure that stops the one driver who was about to move, making the whole process start again, but what do I care I'm a long way up the road.

Beep-beep. :dunce: :jester:

I'll save you all the trouble - thumbs down. :lol:.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes, this. Well not just not signalling, but signalling wrong. I would say >50% of people signal wrong, at roundabouts, particularly signalling right to go round a roundabout but then not cancelling it when they get to their exit.

Both of the roundabouts either side of Sainsburys seem to be particularly bad for some reason. I do think a lot of these problems could be removed if the lanes were very clearly marked (or if people learned to use their indicators.

The roundabout near McDonalds has got to be one of the worst ones I have seen, rules of the road are totally ignored by far too many drivers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spot on.

This.

And this.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Who doesn't struggle with self service checkouts...?

"Please put your item in the bagging area..."

"It is in f****** bagging area you utter, utter **** !!!!'....

[emoji38]ol:

I've noticed a massive difference in the frequency of this happening, depending on which supermarket I shop in. In Morrisons, it happens every other item, in Sainsbury's about once every 6 items; in Waitrose, never. It's not happened, not once. I've even put an already loaded bag (loaded from shopping in other fine establishments, I hasten to add) onto the bagging area, and the Waitrose system has gone "ok - now start scanning our stuff please".

The message I receive, loud and clear, is that Waitrose trust you not to steal from them; the other shops, umm, don't. Nice.

On topic: yes, hesitancy has definitely increased at roundabouts. Prior to reading this thread, I'd put it down to the snowflake generation, but perhaps it is the reduction in signalling as others have said.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
I think it's because too many people can't think far enough ahead. It's not even having to anticipate what the other drivers are doing, if the roundabouts clear just go ffs

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I had a couple off "lessons" from a met police driver who basically advised amongst other things, how to approach and drive through a roundabout where clear. Basically if it was clear or there was a sufficient gap, he suggested accelerating through trying to take a straightest line, which I suppose is logical really.

I tend to use that method when arriving at the roundabout from the dyke end and dyke road/ a27 as you get loads of dithering and people coming at you from the slip road off the a27 also. If there is sufficient gap, I tend to go. I sat there once for 10 minutes whilst this bloke with three dogs in the car waited for a gap the size of a bloody super tanker.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think it's because too many people can't think far enough ahead. It's not even having to anticipate what the other drivers are doing, if the roundabouts clear just go ffs

This makes no sense, if there are no other cars we won't have to guess what another driver is going to do?
Obviously just go if the roundabout is clear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here