Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hesitancy at Roundabouts

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I cringe when my wife is driving and comes up to a roundabout, hesitating when she doesn't need to. I tend to read the situation beyond what cars are actually at the roundabout, and enter it smoothly and without un-necessary stopping, but she lurches about. I can't say anything of course...

The roundabout near McDonalds has got to be one of the worst ones I have seen, rules of the road are totally ignored by far too many drivers.

Those two I have no issue with, however, crossing the bridge to turn right into BnQ the road markings imply a sharp right when in reality it's a massive roundabout.

The new mini roundabouts are a laugh esp 2 near PTFC and one where the tip used to be, no one has a clue how to use them

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just trust in other peoples brakes, often a bit of a commotion in my rear mirror, could be related?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I cringe when my wife is driving and comes up to a roundabout, hesitating when she doesn't need to. I tend to read the situation beyond what cars are actually at the roundabout, and enter it smoothly and without un-necessary stopping, but she lurches about. I can't say anything of course...

What are you doing letting your wife DRIVE about?! :)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The message I receive, loud and clear, is that Waitrose trust you not to steal from them; the other shops, umm, don't. Nice.

Little do they know I'm busy putting chocolate twists through as crusty rolls and red onions through as white.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
The only reason I'm more hesitant at roundabouts nowadays is that no-one bloody indicates anymore.
Spot on this, forever coming across twats not indicating that they are coming off, my biggest gripe on the road, just about beating deliveroo & inconsiderate cyclists!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Surprised nobody has mentioned the more obvious cause to this phenomenon which occurs when multiple cars simultaneously arrive at the give-way point in a small or mini roundabout.

Too many fecking cars on the road - simples.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I've noticed a massive difference in the frequency of this happening, depending on which supermarket I shop in. In Morrisons, it happens every other item, in Sainsbury's about once every 6 items; in Waitrose, never. It's not happened, not once. I've even put an already loaded bag (loaded from shopping in other fine establishments, I hasten to add) onto the bagging area, and the Waitrose system has gone "ok - now start scanning our stuff please".

The message I receive, loud and clear, is that Waitrose trust you not to steal from them; the other shops, umm, don't. Nice.

On topic: yes, hesitancy has definitely increased at roundabouts. Prior to reading this thread, I'd put it down to the snowflake generation, but perhaps it is the reduction in signalling as others have said.
The original reason is that the sensors on the Waitrose self-checkouts were over-sensitive and the weights put in for the items were not accurate enough. When the self-checkouts were first put in at Waitrose in BH every other item triggered the alarm so that initially there needed to be almost one member of staff beside each self-scanner as they needed to be re-set so often. The solution was to turn off the scales in the bagging area - no more "unexpected item" problems.

I assume that Waitrose have since done an analysis which suggests that any extra theft that may occur is offset by the reduced number of staff needed to man the area even if it were to be fixed

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
Ha! Come to Spain where the rules are completely different anyway!!

roundabout.jpg

An explanation is given here: http://www.ibexinsure.com/news-item/how-to-drive-in-a-roundabout-in-spain

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that this problem is due to lack of knowledge of the correct signalling proceedure at roundabout so people are confused some signal at every exit, some only to turn right, some not at all.

As regards self checkout jn supermarkets I read that a uni in the USA did a research jnto into it and the actal scanning of items is 3 times slower if self checking rather than standard check out. It is easily overcome the supermarkets should make them basket only to stop Aunt Mary going through with a trolley and weeks shopping.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The original reason is that the sensors on the Waitrose self-checkouts were over-sensitive and the weights put in for the items were not accurate enough. When the self-checkouts were first put in at Waitrose in BH every other item triggered the alarm so that initially there needed to be almost one member of staff beside each self-scanner as they needed to be re-set so often. The solution was to turn off the scales in the bagging area - no more "unexpected item" problems.

I assume that Waitrose have since done an analysis which suggests that any extra theft that may occur is offset by the reduced number of staff needed to man the area even if it were to be fixed

Interesting. Thanks.

I'll do an experiment next time I'm in. I'll scan a bread roll and deposit a bottle of wine and see if the alarm trips. I would have thought that they'd have sorted out the accuracy of weights and scales by now, but perhaps they've just left them turned off, as you suggest.

My perception of what's been going on, and your statement about the real reason do show very clearly the power of brand...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was largely due to people staring at their sat navs rather than the road in front of them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interesting. Thanks.

I'll do an experiment next time I'm in. I'll scan a bread roll and deposit a bottle of wine and see if the alarm trips. I would have thought that they'd have sorted out the accuracy of weights and scales by now, but perhaps they've just left them turned off, as you suggest.

My perception of what's been going on, and your statement about the real reason do show very clearly the power of brand...

No - I believe that your take on it is actually spot on - at least in the newer / refurbished stores for certain.

The self-scan check-outs at ours don't even HAVE scales. You can push your trolley up to them, lift your items up to the scanner and put them straight back in the trolley. You don't even need to put them on any counter / scales at all.

It IS a trust / perception of trust thing, for sure.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Interesting. Thanks.

In Waitrose Worthing there is not even a pretence of scales. You can put your scanned goods on the wooden shelf if you want and then carry on scanning

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No - I believe that your take on it is actually spot on - at least in the newer / refurbished stores for certain.

The self-scan check-outs at ours don't even HAVE scales. You can push your trolley up to them, lift your items up to the scanner and put them straight back in the trolley. You don't even need to put them on any counter / scales at all.

It IS a trust / perception of trust thing, for sure.[/hQUOTE]

There lies the problem ......push your trolley to the scanner as I have said and many checkout staff agree should be basket only?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This giving way so one moves is probably better than the other options, whereby some idiot just drives straight onto the roundabout forcing someone already on the roundabout to break, or where the lanes entering the roundabout are marked, but some idiot decides to use the inside lane which is marked for left turn only, goes straight ahead and starts to undertake someone just exiting the roundabout, causing all sorts of fun.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

It IS a trust / perception of trust thing, for sure.

In Waitrose Worthing there is not even a pretence of scales. You can put your scanned goods on the wooden shelf if you want and then carry on scanning

Thinking about it, my own experience also proves there's at least some aspect of it that's trust now. Mostly, I don't even put my shopping through the till scanner - I either use the hand held scanners they provide, or an app on my phone in the one shop I use that doesn't provide the hand held scanners. At the end of the shop, I go to the self-service tills and scan the barcode there to tell the till I've finished. I'm asked "did everything scan?"; I press "yes" and the till says "£N please". I then walk out. They're definitely trusting me.

I have used the self scanning tills properly on a few occasions; the shop near my mother has no self-scanning capability while you shop. It's there that I've noticed the till behaviour I mentioned before.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
had an interesting one last evening. Mini roundabout with three roads, all minor B ones. Three of us literally approached at same time and same distance, all indicating a right turn, all stoped watching who felt they had right of way. Never had one like that before

Theres a few in Worthing like that. Just need to be aggressive and go for it :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here