Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Queen Elizabeth on the move

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
4.5 acres of mobile airfield.

14 inches clearance either side of the dock, and barely 20 inches clearance off the sea bed. No wonder there's a chief steering her. No inexperienced OD for this job.

Yep, wouldn't want to be responsible for scratching the paint before she had even cleared the dock!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The Yanks and Russians (and French) park their carriers off the coast of warzones like Syria and bomb them, if we get some planes then we can now do the same. and another is on the way.
We have the new destroyers, there are some new frigates being built to replace our ancient ones and the new subs are on the way.
Regarding amphibious ships, Ocean had millions spent on it only to be told it will be scrapped soon. Albion was mothballed for years but has now had millions spent on it and is now going through sea trials off of Plymouth. Flag ship Bulwark is ok.
We will, before long, have a small but modern and efficient fleet.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Carriers are at the end of their evolution, can't see us ever commissioning more.

A new generation of Battleships with railgun technology is where the next leap forward in naval power is.
No, railguns use too much energy bit pointless having a ship that can only shoot twice. Traditional gun technolgy will be around for a bit longer.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/features/equipped-for-the-future

Argument by the MOD on the merits of aircraft carriers. I think it's a marvellous piece of engineering and a real indicator of a modern navy, but I admit with trends going towards unmanned aircraft and automated warfare I wonder if the carrier really needs to be so big.

The guy in charge is termed a Rank Captain....

Can't they get a good one? Seems important considering the spend...

TNBA

TTF

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
And a proper ship! It certainly falls into the 'big f**king ship' classification.
I hated the invincible class carriers, the design was shite.

I agree, built on the cheap, and it showed, as someone said designated as a through deck cruiser(wtf is that?) cos the politicians couldn't admit to building aircraft carriers.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
My ex colleagues on board have been serving on large U.S Carriers for the last few years to gain experience in flight deck procedures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
When's the Airfix model out?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here