Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton marina development

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It's not just that though.

GWQ is one short stop further on from the centre of Portsmouth by train.
The location is ideal, in the middle of the historic dockyards (TM)
There's a huge variety of restaurants.
An incredibly busy port.
A tower that actually has active changing views.
As well as a huge variety of big brand shops

Compare that to:-

A location not even in the same postcode as Brighton.
Poor public transport links.
Pasta or burgers.
Very little shopping.

theres a bus every seven minutes to and from from the station that run all night. it must be one of the best served points of the town for buses.

I am not a spokesman for the marina or anything but i just dont get it. yes its all frankie and benny and asda and some people may be too cool for that, but there is a great artisan charcuterie just opened up for the groovy gang.

its a BN2 postcode. That's a brighton postcode it covers half the town.

gunwharf key is in portsmouth. portsmouth. its just a shopping centre.

the marina you can walk to the pier and its a hop and a jump to arty farty kemp town.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
It's not just that though.

GWQ is one short stop further on from the centre of Portsmouth by train.
The location is ideal, in the middle of the historic dockyards (TM)
There's a huge variety of restaurants.
An incredibly busy port.
A tower that actually has active changing views.
As well as a huge variety of big brand shops

Compare that to:-

A location not even in the same postcode as Brighton.
Poor public transport links.
Pasta or burgers.
Very little shopping.

But that's my point, it could all of been different.

Gunwharfs restaurant offerings are as bad (if not worse) than the Marina, but it's shopping facilities are so superior that it attracts FAR more visitors. There are queues in and out every single weekend.

It's a shame that something like the Eye 360 couldn't have been put down there, not only so it's out of the way, but also to attract investment/visitors to the area and potentially be the catalyst for further development; rather than some new-build flats aimed at second home buyers.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
But that's my point, it could all of been different.

Gunwharfs restaurant offerings are as bad (if not worse) than the Marina, but it's shopping facilities are so superior that it attracts FAR more visitors. There are queues in and out every single weekend.

It's a shame that something like the Eye 360 couldn't have been put down there, not only so it's out of the way, but also to attract investment/visitors to the area and potentially be the catalyst for further development; rather than some new-build flats aimed at second home buyers.

its not a shopping centre its a place to tie boats up.

the new build flats have been sold mostly to the middle east market as investment properties, not second home buyers.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
gunwharf key is in portsmouth. portsmouth. its just a shopping centre.

Gunwharf is just a shopping centre. But a shopping centre that attracts huge numbers of people every single week.

I'd imagine that 95% (if not more) of people visiting the Marina are locals who want to go for lunch/cinema without paying for parking. There's nothing wrong with that, but it could (and should), be so much more than that.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Instead of building them as homes that first time buyers can afford? Great, that will help then.

Exactly.

They could either of used it to create homes for local people, or created something like Gunwharf whereby there is huge potential for a constant revenue stream from tourists/visitors.

Instead they built some flats and flogged them to the Middle East.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Some chain shops are all it needs now really. It's good for restaurants and lovely on a summer evening.

That way the Brighton snobs like TLO can keep their idea of "Brighton" and ignore the monstrosity that is Churchill square

'Brighton snobs...' - parochially pitiful gibberish.

No-one's ignoring Churchill Square, but that hardly defines Brighton, does it? Interesting you only want to highlight the negative, while completely ignoring the excellent Lanes, North Laine and other areas which make Brighton so popular.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's a anathema to some. It's a model village for people who go to Brighton who don't want to be in Brighton. Brighton is 'quirky', 'independent', 'gay', 'different' etc. etc. - all the things the Marina isn't.

I'm not sure what people wanted from the Marina - the best we can get is 'well, not that...'. As you point out, it is popular, it is mildly arresting, it is a nice open space (especially of a warm summer's evening), and it does offer something for the majority, even if it's High Street names rather than independent outlets.

Even though mistakes have been made along the way, it is still an asset to the city, rather than a hindrance. What its not, however, is 'Brighton'.

See above. There are other places, like Gunwharf, which are far better laid out, actually offer High Street names, rather than odd and empty shops, and aren't sl run down. I don't mind it and go down there occasionally but it could be so much better.

I know you sometimes like to defend Brighton at all costs (as do I when it comes to out of towners) but most people on here are local(ish) and want what's best for the place, don't they?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
But it's always compared to Gunwharf, which is FAR superior. It may well be 'busy', but i've never ever seen it anything like as popular as Gunwharf on a weekend.

People travel from all over to visit the shopping outlets - many international groups staying in Brighton spend a day down there shopping in Portsmouth. That (theoretically) could easily be matched at the Marina, there's easily the space.

If you want to shop stay in the city, the Marina is great for dining out together with the cinemas and bowling alleys

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
its heaving down there at weekends. i don't know where this belief the marina is a dead duck comes from. Its really buzzing. even canary wharf has empty units and small businesses that fail still on south quay and the earlier developments.

Indeed. The entrance is admittedly an awful 70s concrete gateway, but the actual Marina itself is brilliant. Loads of things to do and great places to eat. If we go out as a family it's one of our favourite destinations - especially if I'm paying!

Because it is so popular, like London Road it will never be 'popular' with a certain type of Brighton resident. Some will say it has too many ghastly chain restaurants and chav activities like bowling. Fair enough, each to their own and I'm glad Brighton can still, just about, cater for all tastes.

EDIT: Having read the rest of this thread I'm genuinely surprised at the hostility to the place. I accept that elitist snobs will turn their noses up at it, but it does 'work'. If it isn't your cup of tea then fine, don't go. For some of us it's one of the last places that has echoes of the 'real' Brighton we remember from the 1960s. The town once memorably describes by Keith Waterhouse as "looking like it's always helping the police with their enquiries."

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2003
I think the marina is fine for what it is. Me and the wife use it pretty regularly for stuff like Asda (our nearest large supermarket), the cinema if its mainstream stuff (more convenient than the Odeon) and for some of the restaurants which there is a surprising level of quality

it's a useful facility for local residents

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Indeed. The entrance is admittedly an awful 70s concrete gateway, but the actual Marina itself is brilliant. Loads of things to do and great places to eat. If we go out as a family it's one of our favourite destinations - especially if I'm paying!

Because it is so popular, like London Road it will never be 'popular' with a certain type of Brighton resident. Some will say it has too many ghastly chain restaurants and chav activities like bowling. Fair enough, each to their own and I'm glad Brighton can still, just about, cater for all tastes.

EDIT: Having read the rest of this thread I'm genuinely surprised at the hostility to the place. I accept that elitist snobs will turn their noses up at it, but it does 'work'. If it isn't your cup of tea then fine, don't go. For some of us it's one of the last places that has echoes of the 'real' Brighton we remember from the 1960s. The town once memorably describes by Keith Waterhouse as "looking like it's always helping the police with their enquiries."

Spot on mate. It's popular and a good night out for loads of people from east Brighton particularly.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

It's ironic don't you think that many of the people on here who purport it to be somewhat chav like and cheap in other threads will convince you that they support the working classes.....

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
And for the record I love it down there, I've been known to spend two days there staying at the hotel overnight. I would rather spend time there with real people than hang out in the North Laine surrounded by pseudo snobs. I do appreciate that says more about me than the North Laine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here