Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone fancy a Bender Brunch ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Strangely thought obesity wasn't the problem that it is now.

Was it the nature of work? Being more physical etc? Eating to survive rather than surviving to eat?

There wasn't the range of food you get now and not vast numbers of fast food joints.

All of that......and cross-ref to the 'parking in my drive' thread with takes of poor babes not being able to walk 400 yards to school.

Also think fast food nowadays is incredibly cheap relative to earnings. A takeaway used to be a real treat when I was a kid.......but I reckon you can get close on a 1000 calories in Maccy Ds for a couple of quid now.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Strangely thought obesity wasn't the problem that it is now.

Was it the nature of work? Being more physical etc? Eating to survive rather than surviving to eat?

There wasn't the range of food you get now and not vast numbers of fast food joints.

Apparently we used to consume a lot more calories but have a much more sedentary lifestyle these days. One example would be doing the shopping - instead of traipsing from the bakers, to the butchers, to the grocers laden with kilos of goods we shop online, leaving ourselves with much more time to sit around in Wimpeys stuffing our faces with aforementioned benders....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I have tried over and over to replicate the great Wimpy Bender at home but never got anywhere close to it.

Any ideas anyone?
I tried to do the Big Mac in the 80s. Impossible. Admit defeat and pop down to your nearest Wimpy and treat yourself to a proper BENDER (snigger snigger!)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
After a few pints,there was nothing quite like the taste of a Bender with that spicy chutney!Does Wimpy even exist anymore????

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No...! (Cue..."Aaaaaaah, Benny on the loose, Benny on the loose...!!)

You derroid :)

:rolleyes:

Blimey you're no fun in the playground.
Do you also shout punchlines at comedians?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As you may know my daughters name is Delta and we collect signs, cups all sorts of stuff for her with her name on so every now and again I trawl the internet sometimes looking for things and came across this.

I was kinda keen on the Delta Brunch or Delta Grill, however further down the menu.... ???

Was this back in the 70s acceptable ???

Or did people simply not think of that, I know the word was banded about and not so much these days, would anyone / company dare use that word nowadays.

Nice prices though....

Where do you keep the aeroplane with her name on?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
My mum & dad used to take me to the Wimpy opposite St Peters Church in the 60's and I used to snicker at the "bender" sausage. Bloody hell, even a road sign that indicated a "bend" ahead had us in stitches back then. There was one like this on the bus home from Varndean.
IMG_5975.JPG

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
We'd go into Brighton via the Portland, Aldrington, Rutland, Kendal, Exchange or the Cliftonville, depends whose house we were meeting up at. 10 bob to get in one of the discos, 20-25p a pint. If it was a slow night(hadn't pulled) we'd amble back to the Sussex or the other one on the sea front I can't for the life of me remember, then walk up to Blatchington Road and sit in the Wimpy til we were kicked out at 1am. I remember we all sniggering like school boys at the bender...................lummy I feel old:(:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here