Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone fancy a Bender Brunch ?

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
There is an excellent Wimpy in Worthing. Hope it survives rather than morph into another charity shop. I remember my teenage mates in the 70's using "bender" as a term of (homophobic) abuse, along with "spastic" and "mongol", terms which, thankfully, have now been consigned to the dustbin of history. If only Paki-bashing and Queer-bashing had gone the same way......:nono:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Was a great one in Hastings Old Town that then became a rubbish Kebab shop for a few months and then yet another junk shop and later another coffee shop which was just what was needed :-(

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Used to go to the Wimpy in Telscome every Sunday when I was a youngster. Grandparents lived just down the road so i spent most school holidays staying with them . Invariably had a cheeseburger followed by a brown derby . Happy days .

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
There is an excellent Wimpy in Worthing. Hope it survives rather than morph into another charity shop. I remember my teenage mates in the 70's using "bender" as a term of (homophobic) abuse, along with "spastic" and "mongol", terms which, thankfully, have now been consigned to the dustbin of history. If only Paki-bashing and Queer-bashing had gone the same way......:nono:

Have they? i still hear kids using a way those as a way of insulting each other.
Also the term bender is used to be used for going out and having a lots of drinks.

But also in complete opposite i have not heard Paki-bashing and Queer-bashing said since the 70's

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have they? i still hear kids using a way those as a way of insulting each other.
Also the term bender is used to be used for going out and having a lots of drinks.

But also in complete opposite i have not heard Paki-bashing and Queer-bashing said since the 70's

Taxi drivers in Manchester still refer to 'Pakis' based on my last couple of experiences (when referring to crap drivers). Only time I've heard the term in the last 20 years.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Used to go to the Wimpy in Telscome every Sunday when I was a youngster. Grandparents lived just down the road so i spent most school holidays staying with them . Invariably had a cheeseburger followed by a brown derby . Happy days .

That Wimpy is still there.

D

Deleted User X18H

We'd go into Brighton via the Portland, Aldrington, Rutland, Kendal, Exchange or the Cliftonville, depends whose house we were meeting up at. 10 bob to get in one of the discos, 20-25p a pint. If it was a slow night(hadn't pulled) we'd amble back to the Sussex or the other one on the sea front I can't for the life of me remember, then walk up to Blatchington Road and sit in the Wimpy til we were kicked out at 1am. I remember we all sniggering like school boys at the bender...................lummy I feel old:(:facepalm:

Wonderful! Where was the Wimpy on Blatch Road? Or might you mean the one at the old fire station in George Street? The Kendal, the greatest pub in Hove. George Payne, pah!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Wonderful! Where was the Wimpy on Blatch Road? Or might you mean the one at the old fire station in George Street? The Kendal, the greatest pub in Hove. George Payne, pah!

I know it's 40 odd years ago, but I seem to think it was near woolies? Or was that kfc and wimpy was on the opposite side? As I said, we were coming back from Brighton so alcohol in a 16-17 year old can have a detrimental effect on the memory

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"Bender" was such a great and universal phrase when I was at school.

A heartfelt shout of, "You complete BENDER!" could regularly be heard across the playing fields whenever someone muffed a shot in football. Mind you, teachers were an unforgiving lot back then.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We'd go into Brighton via the Portland, Aldrington, Rutland, Kendal, Exchange or the Cliftonville, depends whose house we were meeting up at. 10 bob to get in one of the discos, 20-25p a pint. If it was a slow night(hadn't pulled) we'd amble back to the Sussex or the other one on the sea front I can't for the life of me remember, then walk up to Blatchington Road and sit in the Wimpy til we were kicked out at 1am. I remember we all sniggering like school boys at the bender...................lummy I feel old:(:facepalm:

For your life, The Neptune perhaps? Seafront side of the Sussex. Still a classic pub.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The one in Worthing is odd. I went in there with one of the worst hangovers in a decade, last year. Breakfast food was as to be expected with little airline cups of tea. But the place had been done out like an America diner from Disneyland with screens showing Friends and Cheers on them.
The franchisee was a tall chubby Asian guy in his 30's dressed in a cheap, silvery suit who tried to be jovial to the young waitress in between rudely bossing her around. He kind of hovered near my table, occasionally catching my eye and giving me a nod.
It was bloody weird and uncomfortable. And surprisingly expensive.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle

What I was trying to get across with the Paki/Queer bashing thing was the fact that these sorts of hate crime still happen. Sorry to hear kids still using other discriminatory terms of abuse. Certainly "gay" still seems in vogue.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What I was trying to get across with the Paki/Queer bashing thing was the fact that these sorts of hate crime still happen. Sorry to hear kids still using other discriminatory terms of abuse. Certainly "gay" still seems in vogue.

Why are you sorry ? Kids will always use discriminatory terms of abuse, that's why they use them ! it called growing up.
If they weren't there would be no insult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here