Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewart Downing on a free

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm with [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION] here. Surprised this is dismissed so quickly. He was very good the year they went up, and played in the most boringly defensive side in the Premier League last season where no attacking player was allowed to look any good. £70k a week is probably too much, but £40-50k and no transfer fee... then why not?

Could be good on his day, unfortunately, his day only occurred once a season, at best. Some of his crosses were superb, but too few and far between. Not what we need. "on a free" s very deceptive if you don't figure in the high wage demand

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm with [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION] here. Surprised this is dismissed so quickly. He was very good the year they went up, and played in the most boringly defensive side in the Premier League last season where no attacking player was allowed to look any good. £70k a week is probably too much, but £40-50k and no transfer fee... then why not?

Why not?...........because he hasn't got an unusual name and is probably* not a very good signing on championship manager. They seem to be the two criteria for judging players quality on NSC.

*I've no idea if he's any good on championship manager or any other managerial simulator available on the market

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I suspect he could do a job but wouldn't represent value. The winger equivalent of Jordan Rhodes.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't know - we do need fresh young legs in the team (we could be doing a lot of chasing this season!) but we also need some more PL experience - and he has plenty. If Middlesbrough pay him off and he's happy to accept a reasonable wage down with us, he could be a useful signing over the next couple of seasons.
My one concern would be that he appears to have a bit of the one-club-player syndrome about him - he's only really ever been any good at Middlesbrough, and his career went downhill after he left them, and only seemed to revive when he went back. Happy to leave it for Chris to decide, though............................

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
My one concern would be that he appears to have a bit of the one-club-player syndrome about him - he's only really ever been any good at Middlesbrough, and his career went downhill after he left them, and only seemed to revive when he went back. ............

that's just not true though is it.

He was still featuring for England 5 years after he left Boro so must of been doing something right.

Pretty sure he got player of the season and Villa and won a trophy with Liverpool as well.

Get a good season out of him and you can get 5 ish goals from wide. That is invaluable in the prem.

I think he'd compliment what we have got and gives something different on the left. Lets not forget he can play LB too lol

Big wages will no doubt rule it out but experienced head. Get the fire in his belly and could be a decent move

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
that's just not true though is it.

He was still featuring for England 5 years after he left Boro so must of been doing something right.

Pretty sure he got player of the season and Villa and won a trophy with Liverpool as well.

Get a good season out of him and you can get 5 ish goals from wide. That is invaluable in the prem.

I think he'd compliment what we have got and gives something different on the left. Lets not forget he can play LB too lol

Big wages will no doubt rule it out but experienced head. Get the fire in his belly and could be a decent move
He might have won a trophy with Liverpool, but that was in a good team and his Liverpool career was not much of a success - they were quick to pass him on; he'd ben a player of huge promise and quality at 'Boro but he turned out to be a huge disappointment at Liverpool. I don't remember much about his time with Villa, but he didn't pull up any trees at West Ham, and as for England, he was one of those players who kept re-appearing leaving everyone asking, 'Why?'

I agree with your last two lines though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
was brilliant on his day.

No idea what level he was at last year but seem to recall he was very decent the year they went up.

35 caps = no mug

Also, along with Nugent was allegedly part of the fracas and chair throwing incident which resulted in Karanka walking out for a week.

Was okay when they went up, but thought he played less in the latter part of that season.

Definite 'no' from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAC

May 21, 2014
If the management feel that he's good enough, surely that should be enough?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Usual agent talking bollox, so that the 'former England international can have one last punt at PL.
IMO he's up there with the John Terry no thank you file :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Apropos of nothing, I've always got him jumbled up in my head, with Adam Johnson.

Which is a bit unfair on the lad, to be honest...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
OTT negativity about this, Shirley!?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We will inevitably listed as suitors along with Toon, Hudds, Swans etc
It seems to be the price of promotion.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
If he's not good enough for Boro, then he certainly shouldn't be good enough for us. If this interest is legitimate then it's entirely depressing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If he's not good enough for Boro, then he certainly shouldn't be good enough for us. If this interest is legitimate then it's entirely depressing.

Not that I've got anything against Downing, but I'd sooner we signed Will Buckley. At least he was good once upon a time, and I can't ever say that about Downing.:jester:

Seriously, our new striker might have to be young and quick and fit enough to run around like a blue-arsed fly chasing lost causes. And to have a bit of guile to score from half chances. Maybe, one of those awkward strikers that are very unpopular withe opposition. Who?

Not the shy technical player, but the son of a bitch striker who shows no respect to illustrious defenders.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here