Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewart Downing on a free

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When we signed Upson there was similar talk and negativity of a journeyman Englishman out for his last pay check. Downing's still only 32 years old compared to Upson who was 35 when we signed him. Wayne Bridge was 33 and both those players turned out well for us.

What I would say is that I think we do need an experienced midfielder who has played in the PL and who can help the others with adjusting. Cast your minds back to Glenn Murray first time round and how he now plays. Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee and I describe him as a master of the dark arts. He's sneaky, annoying, always winding up the opposition and knowing when and how to "react" to challenges - all learnt from playing in the Premier League and he used it to full advantage last year. I suspect that if Barton had tried to do on Downing what he did to Kayal then Barton might not have been so successful in his cheating.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the face of it he's 33 next month, he played as an attacking player 23 times last season for a Boro teams that scored bugger all goals and now new Boro manager Garry Monk - a shrewd and fair man - doesn't fancy him in the Championship.

It's not saying much, but I'd have March then Murphy ahead of him in the pecking order, so what's the point of blowing big wages on someone who isn't likely to contribute much?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Apropos of nothing, I've always got him jumbled up in my head, with Adam Johnson.

Which is a bit unfair on the lad, to be honest...

Oddly I had never had that until I saw the title of this thread. I opened it expecting to see him being released from jail and took a while to figure out they were different people

I will blame it on the early BBQ beers

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think we should set our sights higher. I see Bayern Munich have just signed Serge Gnabry on a 3 year deal and are considering loaning him out. I also see the Albion appear to have good contacts in German football and Hughton is a long-term admirer having been linked with him in Jan 16.

The lad seems to have turned a corner since leaving Arsenal and would add much needed pace on the left side of a 4-2-3-1 midfield three.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
On the face of it he's 33 next month, he played as an attacking player 23 times last season for a Boro teams that scored bugger all goals and now new Boro manager Garry Monk - a shrewd and fair man - doesn't fancy him in the Championship.

It's not saying much, but I'd have March then Murphy ahead of him in the pecking order, so what's the point of blowing big wages on someone who isn't likely to contribute much?

Agree - is he really better than what we've already got????

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We need some quality premier league experience but this is not the answer.

We need those players to be a central midfielder and a forward if possible

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When we signed Upson there was similar talk and negativity of a journeyman Englishman out for his last pay check. Downing's still only 32 years old compared to Upson who was 35 when we signed him. Wayne Bridge was 33 and both those players turned out well for us.

What I would say is that I think we do need an experienced midfielder who has played in the PL and who can help the others with adjusting. Cast your minds back to Glenn Murray first time round and how he now plays. Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee and I describe him as a master of the dark arts. He's sneaky, annoying, always winding up the opposition and knowing when and how to "react" to challenges - all learnt from playing in the Premier League and he used it to full advantage last year. I suspect that if Barton had tried to do on Downing what he did to Kayal then Barton might not have been so successful in his cheating.

I was pleased with the signings of Upson, Bridge and Murray. Age didn't come in it, as they were improvements on what we had.

Downing was absolute rubbish at Liverpool and again for M'boro in their PL season. Slow, weak and ineffective.

I have faith in the team led by TB, that Downing will never even enter discussions.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would prefer that March got games on the left of midfield, rather than Downing. Which would place Downing on the bench at best.

We need to concentrate funds on 1st pick players not reserves.

1/10 on the Chailey rumour scale for me.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've always been a big fan of Stewart Downing, I've often been alone in it, but I think he's a much better player than people realise. I wouldn't want him for anything like 50k per week, there's no reason to break our wage structure for him but he would add a dimension to our team in the same way I think Seb Larsson would, but of the two, I would take Larsson as he would add more depth and he would give us a different option on the right wing for away games in particular.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
God no. Total waste of wages

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was pleased with the signings of Upson, Bridge and Murray. Age didn't come in it, as they were improvements on what we had.

Downing was absolute rubbish at Liverpool and again for M'boro in their PL season. Slow, weak and ineffective.

I have faith in the team led by TB, that Downing will never even enter discussions.

Fair enough. I've heard of Downing and know a little bit about him* but I've had little interest in following the PL for ages now so am only going by the fact that he's played top level football for ages so there must be something about him that managers see. Then again I've no idea how Joey Barton has been stealing a living all these years.

*Think I remember that when he came through the youth team at Boro, there was an article in one of the newspapers describing him as the great white hope of English football (see also Kevin Davies, Michael Johnson).

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
No thank you .

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Uninspiring. BBC Gossip states we are first team to show interest, that came from The Sun though. I hope there's no strength in this. I like the German links & would rather take players from their league rather than ex Premiership players past their prime such as Downing.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not that I've got anything against Downing, but I'd sooner we signed Will Buckley. At least he was good once upon a time, and I can't ever say that about Downing.:jester:

Seriously, our new striker might have to be young and quick and fit enough to run around like a blue-arsed fly chasing lost causes. And to have a bit of guile to score from half chances. Maybe, one of those awkward strikers that are very unpopular withe opposition. Who?

Not the shy technical player, but the son of a bitch striker who shows no respect to illustrious defenders.
As previous posters may of mentioned in the midfield / 10 role he was quality In the PL.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I suspect Boro will out him however they can, 70k a week with another 2 years to run is not a great financial prospect for them!

Would I want to see Downing playing at the Amex? ................... Yes.........for another club!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Wasn't he one of the bad apples agitating against Karanka ?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I suspect Boro will out him however they can, 70k a week with another 2 years to run is not a great financial prospect for them!

Would I want to see Downing playing at the Amex? ................... Yes.........for another club!

That's why they get parachute payments. Let them use it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here