Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were you beaten with as a child and by whom?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
School - bamboo cane and chalk duster thrown at me several times.
Foster Home - A walking stick, fists and slaps.
Home - some form of garden cane, kicked down stairs, the bendy roads for hot wheels cars loop the loop section (hurt like hell)

Swore I would never hit my child, believe me I've come close, she can push it... Would never do that, because I can cuddle with my daughter after she's done something naughty and the dust has settled and she looks at me and I can see she loves me something my parents never could say and still can't.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From my Dad by smacking on thigh/backside. Mum never did, she just snitched to Dad on our misdemeanours.

Only once at school, smacked with a single blow by my brilliant Primary School head Mrs.Evans, after I'd punched a brat for spoiling my art work. He then got it worse!

Living in East Sussex, I don't think the cane was allowed by the late seventies. At secondary school at first only the head and deputy heads could smack, but then all corporal punishment under ESCC appeared to get banned altogether whilst I was at school.

No lasting pscychological effects on me, or dislike of my Dad or the Head Teacher. But I don't believe in it and our kids have very rarely received a mild smack.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Stick by my dad, slipper by primary school teacher (Mrs Perry), cane at secondary school (Mr Webster too many times to recall)

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
A few days after the babes in the woods murder myself and a few friends were out playing up Hollingbury golfcourse and must've lost track of the time. Unbeknown to us the Police had launched a search party. I got a massive whack around the back of the legs from my Mum when I was brought home by the Police.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Slipper at school. Occasional smack on the bum at home from my Dad.

Got led by the ear by a copper back to my Nana's after a mate had nicked some sweets but the copper thought it was me.

"He's been stealing sweets"
"Have you?", says Nana to me.
"No, Nana".
"I think there's been a mistake, Officer. He'd never lie to me."

Bless her. Bugger, something in my eye now.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wish my schools had stopped the following in 1979 lol

Belt
Slipper which was kept in a freezer, ouch
Cane
Blackboard rubber thrown across classroom
Had my mouth taped up for the afternoon as I was talking too much

This was at a school in Kemp Town mid 80's

Difficult to compare this treatment to what's accepted nowadays for obvious reasons but someone I know has just started her first teacher job in Brighton and, whilst I wouldn't condone the above these days, I've been left appalled at some of the stories she has about how the kids behave.

I'm surprised all that was allowed by the mid 1980's. I wonder if that little lot was illegal by then?

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
It is interesting though isn't it how we all had a bit of 'pain' punishment and here we are today all grounded, respectful and all round good citizens off the back of it.

Kids of today have zero respect for adults or anybody for that matter because there is no deterrent and they know this. Give them a verbal bollocking and they just laugh at you and carry on!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cane at Somerhill about 1984 from the Head. Can't remember what for, but I know it was very rare to happen, so must have been something significant.

At home, wooden spoon from my Mum for 'minor offences' and the threat of 'the belt' from my Dad. I don't think he ever actually used it, or if he had to, it was half-hearted, because we were more scared of the spoon.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The cane from deputy headmaster Tabby and slipper from PE teacher Dickie Henderson for those familiar with the Hove Grammar of the 70's

I was caned on more than one ocassion by God in the sixties.

Tabby's cane on me in the 50's.

A couple of swishes by God. Not sure who Tabby was. Remember Ned and later Willie Pope. Was sent to Pope for the cane. On entry to his office was told I could sit in his comfy armchair instead. 5 minutes later was sent back to class. Top man.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
The cane and slipper at school with the occasional book or blackboard rubber thrown at us. However the worse was our art teacher who had a sword that he would bang on our desk to get our attention.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm not going to go into details, I still try to ignore them / block them out, but suffice it to say I was regularly beaten with a range of implements to the point of severe bruising and drawing blood on one occasion by abusive and in one case, a now-convicted, pervert. Utter cowardly *******s - hopefully most of them are dead and those that aren't live in shame, but somehow I doubt it. I may well have been a little shit, but it was abuse, degrading and did nothing to make me respect them or change my behaviour.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
6 of the best for fighting over a piece of wood in woodwork. Teacher broke the dowling on my backside about number 5 so to be fair as he hadn't broken it on my sparring partner he gave him one hell of a whack on his last strike and broke his piece of dowling... a fair man.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
A couple of swishes by God. Not sure who Tabby was. Remember Ned and later Willie Pope. Was sent to Pope for the cane. On entry to his office was told I could sit in his comfy armchair instead. 5 minutes later was sent back to class. Top man.

Tabrett probably retired by the time you attended.

Willie Pope was a great teacher. I remember him in his 30s style football boots taking part in a match with pupils. His nickname was Weasel - and once when taking register I called out "Weasel here sir" to hoots of laughter from all - he took it in good humour.

Years later - 1983 - I visited Blatchington Mill unannounced when he was Deputy Head and he took me on a mini-tour ending up in his office and him going through a school scrap-book he'd kept and pointing out various events and pupils - legend.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I was caned on more than one ocassion by God in the sixties.

God got me twice on the same day. First for getting caught smoking behind squash courts by prefect. Second for hitting a prefect (coincidentally) :whistle:

And I think that HGSB must have had the best board rubber throwing team in the South.

*edit* And whenever I see any Shakespeare, can't help but remember Willie Pope - Great Man.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I was beaten with a lead pipe in the study by Colonel Mustard!

And it never did me any harm.

I went on to pull the wings off butterflies for a living, and show no remorse.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here