Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were you beaten with as a child and by whom?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
This question will not appear as strange to the older members of NSC as it may to some of the younger ones. When I was a child the beating of children with certain implements was an accepted norm to the extent that the practice of caning was still prevalent in schools as a punishment whereas today it would be a criminal offence.This question relates specifically to punishment or discipline beatings by family members, teachers and other adults and can even include a clip round the ear from the local bobby. The use of implements is not a requisite to answering this question and can include the use of hands and feet. Stating the time era for these beatings, while not necessarily excusing them will put them into the context of the accepted attitudes of the time.

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
The one that sucked the most was with my own miniature autograph cricket bat that the whole NZ and Indian team had signed. Ouch .. ."be careful with my bat" .... ow ...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Caned at school by a piece of bamboo I think, 3 lashes, I blame Thatcher!!

Edit Several teachers enjoyed luzzing boss rubbers at you if you were gobbing off.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
1970 Sandiway County Primary School.

Being a Bear of Very Little Brain I thought it would be a Good Idea to inscribe my name onto the back of my brand new chair via a compass and ink (to sort of personalise it I thought).

Six of the best via the Headteacher's well wielded cane later I reconsidered the situation... :lolol:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Long flexible cane at school....bloody hurt
Mum used the 7 iron in the umbrella stand....bloody hurt, but funny when used on my brother.
Deserved each punishment every time.

Nuns used a belt when i was 6.......evil cows

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The physics teacher used a very heavy book to thwack around the head with, which if you think about it is quite apt when your are given no choice but to instantly consider the physics of force and velocity of a book on the noggin

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Slipper on bum - parents
Ruler on knuckles and cane on palm of hand - school.

Unbelievable now to think that this isn't the Victorian era 160-odd years ago we're talking about, that was the way children were legally treated in the 1960s and early 70s. Utterly unbelievable

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Caned at school on a number of occasions , also had the slipper . Had the blackboard rubber with wooden handle thrown at me . At home and out was smacked and also had the wooden spoon . My Dad threw me around the kitchen and along the lounge with a few whacks included for truancy and impersonating him on the phone to school to say I was ill for a fortnight .My mother dropped my shorts for a smack at a bus stop for stamping my feet and being a little sod . All my punishments were deserved and taken . I have no problem with any of my treatment and taught me respect etc .

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Mum = hand (although she once hit my sister with a frying pan!!)
Dad = the infamous 'Greek sandal' that came out a few times a year. This old, leather Greek sandal took on mythical status as the instrument of pain to be avoided - but boy did it hurt and me and my brother and sister knew we'd been naughty when that came out!!

Started school in 1979, so missed out on the school beating stuff by a few years

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Caned with bamboo cane by the Head and deputy head and the gym slipper for being cheeky for cheating on a road run.
My wife had the ruler behind the knee for not knowing her 9x9 tables by nuns.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
At school, rule, cane, tree branch, plimsol, back of hand and punch to the lower solar plexus hence leaving no bruise.
On the street, hammers, chains and bats, plus the odd clip round the ear from old bill.
At home, no father so if anything upset mum the perpetrator was descended upon by 6 other brothers, very messy.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Took a few beatings from the old man. It only took my Mum to say "wait till your dad gets home" That used to shut me up.
Slipper at school, and the old missile throw by the teachers.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Yes, by teachers and dad with a variety of implements including sawn off hockey stick, cricket stump, sawn off cricket bat, bamboo canes (various), table tennis bats....the list is endless.

J2 BHA

NSC Patreon
Jul 28, 2004
Mum = hand (although she once hit my sister with a frying pan!!)
Dad = the infamous 'Greek sandal' that came out a few times a year. This old, leather Greek sandal took on mythical status as the instrument of pain to be avoided - but boy did it hurt and me and my brother and sister knew we'd been naughty when that came out!!

Started school in 1979, so missed out on the school beating stuff by a few years

Wish my schools had stopped the following in 1979 lol

Belt
Slipper which was kept in a freezer, ouch
Cane
Blackboard rubber thrown across classroom
Had my mouth taped up for the afternoon as I was talking too much

This was at a school in Kemp Town mid 80's

Difficult to compare this treatment to what's accepted nowadays for obvious reasons but someone I know has just started her first teacher job in Brighton and, whilst I wouldn't condone the above these days, I've been left appalled at some of the stories she has about how the kids behave.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Belt and buckle - step dad
(Would be classed as abuse these days)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here