Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were you beaten with as a child and by whom?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Broom handle (Or hands & feet if she didn't have time to lay in wait for us with the broom handle) - Mum
Bamboo Cane- Head & Deputy Head

Never did us any harm. Tic.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I'm a bit younger than my siblings so my parents had decided against hitting us by the time I was born. My siblings were sometimes hit with a slipper, but not very often and not for very long.

That said, my Mum could and still can give a terrifying verbal bollocking, I was quite a sensitive child so the threat of that was enough for me.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Kicked my dad in the balls when I was about 5 and felt the leather of his belt

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
School- Wooden 1 Metre ruler over the head from the physics teacher, he broke a few over my skull, think he bought them by the box load. Sounds worse than it actually was, can't remember it hurting that much.
Maths teacher had a mini cane for whacking knuckles, he also had a large cane but I only saw one lad get wacked across the hand with that.
PE Staff used plimsoles for hitting kids and one teacher had some sort of leather strap, I didn't get hit by any of these though.

Parents- Mum used a wooden spoon on my legs, not good when wearing shorts. Dad slapped me round the ear a few times.
I deserved it though, it wasn't something that happened every day just when I overstepped the mark.

Which school .....

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am utterly shocked, not by the school punishments particularly, although they seem shameful but the physical abuse at home by parents on their children, no one ever got beaten at school whilst I was there, I left in 1980, threatened and perhaps a few things lobbed in our direction but nothing of any significance and never at home, not once.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
This thread is horrific! My late father always commanded respect but he never raised his hand to any of us and we were never afraid of him. If he had, he might have died a lonely, scared old man instead of at home, being loved and cherished by his extended family because I would not have forgotten or forgiven...

Likewise, the best teachers I recall rarely raised even their voice.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Some of the teachers at Beacon were absolute wankers, I think I've been hit with everything From a blackboard rubber to a devil guage to a cane to a hockey stick and they weren't punishments they were reactions from teachers that couldn't keep their temper. We had one idiot that used to pull your hair or twist the hair by your ears and lift you until you were on tip toes and in agony ......someone busted his collar bone eventually.

Feb 9, 2012
perth
my brother and i used to "play" boxing when our parents were out. gloves, shorts, 10 count etc I was 10, he was 8. i still feel a bit guilty about that.

My dad also once put me over his knee because we were supposed to be going out and I had a really bad headache but he thought I was putting it on. Truth is I never entirely forgave him for that

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We had a PE teacher (Why is it so often the PE teacher?) at Durrington High called Mr Roddie who made the losing team lie down in the mud so the winners could walk over them.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
At School the cane for kicking 7 bells out of a Pompey fan 2 years older than me who had builled me for 6 months ,totally undeserved. Board rubbers ,Metal Rulers ,Chairs and even a table thrown at me by my Maths teacher Mr Turkewiec . He was a ex Polish Resistance fighter who took no sh1t . A lad in my class was picked on by one teacher for the whole year at middle school got his revenge 20 odd years later as the said teacher walked into our local one night by giving him a kicking ,not condoning it but it wasn't me who put up with it for a year .

At home Mum would give us the wooden spoon ,Dog's lead round the back of the legs. My old man only had to look at me in a certain way and i'd be away to my room. The one thing that made me behave was the threat of no pocket money for Football on a Saturday.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My mum was a dead shot with a flip flop and could even work out angles if I was behind a door so she could ricochet a hair brush off the wall to mug me off without leaving her chair!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
The music teacher at Moulsescomb in the early seventies.
He would cane you for no apparent reason. We called it getting the 'Juice'
I assume now he suffered during the second world war as he seemed to take it out on us in every lesson. He seemed to wear his demarcation suit everyday for the five years I was there.
Ironically I had to sing in front of him to get in the choir with all my mates banging on the classroom windows taking the piss.
This was to bunk off every lesson I could
When I left school in 1973 a mate cut his piano wires :ohmy:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The cane from deputy headmaster Tabby and slipper from PE teacher Dickie Henderson for those familiar with the Hove Grammar of the 70's

Did you avoid "Bouncer"? Head teacher. - nasty piece of work his feet left the ground as he caned you and the tip would wrap round and threaten your bollocks. Complete *******.
Henderson was an occasional Sussex II's cricketer which is probably why I reverted to supporting the county of my birth, Kent.
RSM Jack Liddell was handy at aiming the board duster at your forehead while French teacher Sooty Corbett never hit you but perfected a nasty little trick of crucifying you at the front of the class with a piece of chalk balanced on each hand that you dare not let drop. I gave up and just walked straight to Tabby's office for a caning rather than amuse the sadistic little *******.

At home my old man used a belt and fists regularly. At least it taught me how not to bring up my kids.

Different times. You can moan about lack of discipline now all you like. The way we had it was just plain wrong.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I once had a garden cane used on me by my dad but me and my brothers had been very annoying. I don't remember ever getting any smacks but when my older brother was 18 he came home drunk which my dad had an issue with and my brother lashed out at him. I only know about this as the commotion woke me up, it was odd seeing my dad sat on my brother. Maybe a few smacks whilst we were growing up would have helped my brother realise his place.

My wife comes from a very different upbringing where her parents smacked the children with their hands every time they stepped out of line. Ironically she is one of 3 extremely well rounded siblings.

Due to our upbringings I was a little shocked the first time I saw her smack the eldest child but it's never excessive and any tears are over within seconds. I have a deadly stare so the kids know when they've upset me and they hate being sent to bed without dinner.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
No corporal punishment in my schooldays, but I remember a couple of older male teachers who were absolute snipers when it came to hurling objects at classroom miscreants.

One of them used to line up pieces of blackboard chalk on the edge of his desk, and then flick them with some power at students (I say "students": we'd have been about eight years old at the time) witnessed talking during designated periods of silence in his classes. As I recall, a small piece of chalk can be surprisingly painful when it hits you in the face or ear at close range. He wasn't averse to hurling other objects either, typically the board rubber (leaving the telltale chalk marks on your uniform), whatever book he happened to be reading, or his fountain pen.

Another teacher at the same school once hurled a wooden chair at a misbehaving boy in my class. That was quite the unexpected turn of events :ohmy:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here