Frank de Boer to Palace

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Dougie Freedman appointed as Sporting Director... above Frank de Boer

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Crystal Palace FC are pleased to announce the appointment of Dougie Freedman as the club’s Sporting Director.

Chairman Steve Parish said: "This is a position I have been looking to fill for a while, someone to work with the manager, myself and Head of Recruitment, Tim Coe on all the footballing aspects of the club.

"I’m delighted that Dougie has agreed to accept the position and look forward to continuing Crystal Palace’s progression to become a solid Premier League club with the right infrastructure.”

Manager Frank de Boer said: “I always worked with a Sporting Director during my time as manager at Ajax and I felt this was a position the club needed, I am looking forward to working with Dougie in this transfer window and beyond.”

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
To be fair, De Boer did work with Marc Overmars, Dennis Begkamp, Aron Winter, Ronald De Boar and Jaap Stam at Ajax (an average of 85 caps each for Netherlands) and several top flight league titles at teams like Ajax, Inter, Arsenal, Man Utd and Barcelona so working with Dougie Freedman who achieved 2 caps for Scotland and spells at Barnet, Palace and Southend will feel basically the same when looking for knowledgeable input.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To be fair, De Boer did work with Marc Overmars, Dennis Begkamp, Aron Winter, Ronald De Boar and Jaap Stam at Ajax (an average of 85 caps each for Netherlands) and several top flight league titles at teams like Ajax, Inter, Arsenal, Man Utd and Barcelona so working with Dougie Freedman who achieved 2 caps for Scotland and spells at Barnet, Palace and Southend will feel basically the same when looking for knowledgeable input.

That s a good comparison of experience:lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm just thankful that Palace haven't started like Huddersfield. Can you imagine the Nigels on here?

Oct 25, 2003

did Freedman really only get 2 Scotland caps? they were hardly blessed with an array of world class goal machines during his time as a player- he was a decent Championship level striker which is about their standard

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
did Freedman really only get 2 Scotland caps? they were hardly blessed with an array of world class goal machines during his time as a player- he was a decent Championship level striker which is about their standard

It was strange as you say...2 caps 1 goal, then never got a sniff. What ever you think of him he was a good championship striker.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm sorry, we are talking about the same Dougie that walked out on Palace here aren't we, stating financial reasons?
And went to weave his magic at Bolton. The was a lot of acrimony from palace fans with the nature of his departure. I hope it continues.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I can just see it now.

"Firstly, thank you for the opportunity for this interview Mr Chairman. I really am excited to try and pass on my experience to this group of players and get them playing the way I used to at Ajax and Barcelona. I really do see Scott Dann as a modern Ronald Koeman. Anyway I have a few demands. I want £80m to spend and I want international goal scoring sensation Dougie 'Freedom-Fighter' Freedman by my side. I've followed his career and he is JUST the man I want. I mean, he's managed Champions League winning Nottingham Forest for goodness sake, and has a 1 in 2 ratio at International level"

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I saw the appointment and my first thought was 'this will end in tears'. Can't help but think the quote by De Boer 'welcoming' Freedman into the role is more than a bit tongue in cheek.

Weasel will be in there quicker than a rat up a drainpipe just as soon as he sniffs the right opportunity

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here