Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Interview with Albion finance director David Jones

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In this month's FC Business magazine. We are in good hands.
e319cf1555cad8da0094e4ef7cf09995.png
b6e44768587f1fb4e79eb1044ee80f2f.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Good stuff!Modest profits :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For those of us who don't have bionic vision, can you summarise what it says

The club had a major rearrangement behind the scenes two years ago, which contributed towards giving CH the resources that he has used to deliver promotion.

Tony Bloom is ****ing brilliant.

The financial and management infrastructure is PLR.

The aim is to move from being a club that made substantial losses each year to making a modest profit in the PL. Here's last season's cleaned net profits for comparison as to what 'modest' means.
PL Cleaned Net Profit Table 2016.JPG This will allow TB to recoup some of his investment very slowly should he so desire (although I'm not convinced that is the case).

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The club had a major rearrangement behind the scenes two years ago, which contributed towards giving CH the resources that he has used to deliver promotion.

Tony Bloom is ****ing brilliant.

The financial and management infrastructure is PLR.

The aim is to move from being a club that made substantial losses each year to making a modest profit in the PL. Here's last season's cleaned net profits for comparison as to what 'modest' means.
View attachment 86531 This will allow TB to recoup some of his investment very slowly should he so desire (although I'm not convinced that is the case).

Villa - proves Randy Lerner had them on a tight ship by then (after the 4 years at the very beginning of his tenure, where he massively subsidised losses, bankrolling O'Neill's spending spree).

The problem being it was feast to famine. The tighter financial reins gave them a weaker squad and first 11 = relegation candidates for several seasons, and finally the drop.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's an interesting table: what's most remarkable is that two-thirds of PL clubs make either a loss or very modest profit. Why then are foreign investors willing to shell out so much to buy these clubs? I can understand fans, like TB, buying in but surely, the others would be able to get better return on their investments in pretty much any other industry.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Like the sound of being geared up to be regularly top ten, realistic challengers for Europe and for one of the cups...

It does all seem a bit pointless to me if we can't ever reach that category.

I wonder how long it will take TB? My guess would be a "5 Year Plan" with achieving the aim of Year 1 being one of the trickiest hurdles.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That's an interesting table: what's most remarkable is that two-thirds of PL clubs make either a loss or very modest profit. Why then are foreign investors willing to shell out so much to buy these clubs? I can understand fans, like TB, buying in but surely, the others would be able to get better return on their investments in pretty much any other industry.

Take Stoke. Modest profits, as you say, but still positive. The owner gets free advertising for his real money-making business (Bet 365) by naming the stadium and sticking that name on the front of his team's shirts, which are shown globally on TV. All while enjoying watching his team (no " " needed, it really is his team) play football. Not a bad deal really.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Interesting philosophical question; are Southampton Liverpool's feeder club, or are Liverpool Southampton's cash cow? :moo:

2nd option in my opinion.

Southampton are constantly producing Premier level players and seem reasonably happy to sell them on at great profit.

Not sure what their fans think mind.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hmmm, emulating Southampton, do Liverpool need another feeder club?

I reckon, with Barber's contacts and our location, we'll end up being Tottenham's feeder/loanee club. There are worse things to be.

Want us to take the new Dele Alli and Harry Kane on loan for a season? Oh, ok then...

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Because they can and money is no object. Allegedly some money laundering . In some cases it's a way of sticking two fingers up to the former "Empire" and Britain. It started with our landmarks e.g. London Bridge, then our famous companies/brands e.g. Harrods and Selfridges, our famous buildings and now our top football clubs.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Depends on their motives. Owning a football club raises the profile of the investors, which for a relatively modest outlay (£200m for Southampton for example), can give the owner fame in their own country, which could be used to ingratiate themselves domestically with the government/ruler/autocrat etc which you would not get if you owned a sweet making (to pick an industry at random) company.

In addition those figures are before the latest TV deal, which pumps an extra £35m a year into the top line (some will of course disappear in wages) for each club.

If you add in vanity and insanity to the desire amongst some owners simply to make some money, then football becomes a very attractive industry, with only a few clubs in the market to buy.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Because they can and money is no object. Allegedly some money laundering . In some cases it's a way of sticking two fingers up to the former "Empire" and Britain. It started with our landmarks e.g. London Bridge, then our famous companies/brands e.g. Harrods and Selfridges, our famous buildings and now our top football clubs.

Weetabix too, now owned by the Chinese :(

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here