Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seasonal Farm Worker Shortage

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Is it me or is this whole thing somewhat unsavoury? You've got UK farms bemoaning their inability to attract migrant workers from Eastern Europe because of Brexit uncertainty and a weak pound, but surely there's an issue of slave wages being paid etc. I appreciate UK farming is 'on its knees' but to bemoan not being able to essentially 'exploit' cheap Albanian labour stinks somewhat, to me anyway.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Is it me or is this whole thing somewhat unsavoury? You've got UK farms bemoaning their inability to attract migrant workers from Eastern Europe because of Brexit uncertainty and a weak pound, but surely there's an issue of slave wages being paid etc. I appreciate UK farming is 'on its knees' but to bemoan not being able to essentially 'exploit' cheap Albanian labour stinks somewhat, to me anyway.
Don't worry, Theresa and Boris have this burning injustice covered. Humility, strength and stability should do the trick.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
east european labour is not necessarily "cheap" labour, its efficient labour. people from rural backgrounds that dont complain about getting up early, working a long day, in a physically intensive job. while there are bad employers and bad practices, the majority will be paid decent money and soak it up, go back to their country and do no work for several months.

the irony is that many youth will happily go to France and do the same work as part of their gap year, but wouldn't dream of doing the same in Lincolnshire.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
If we can't import 'cheap' labour from Europe can we not just import it from elsewhere, I am sure there would be people from poorer countries who would love to work here and then take some well earned money home, or am I being naive?

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
the irony is that many youth will happily go to France and do the same work as part of their gap year, but wouldn't dream of doing the same in Lincolnshire.
I can't think why

126189163.jpg

vineyards-town-web.jpg

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
east european labour is not necessarily "cheap" labour, its efficient labour. people from rural backgrounds that dont complain about getting up early, working a long day, in a physically intensive job. while there are bad employers and bad practices, the majority will be paid decent money and soak it up, go back to their country and do no work for several months.

Aaaah come one, I even doubt that they are workers from some quasi skilled rural background, they come here and get up early not because they have some cultural principle of hard work but so they can earn up to five times the comparable rate than from where they come from.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If we can't import 'cheap' labour from Europe can we not just import it from elsewhere, I am sure there would be people from poorer countries who would love to work here and then take some well earned money home, or am I being naive?

Doesn't that somewhat defeat the object of complete destroying our country in order to "take back control"?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tory suggestion is that it would be perfect below-minimum-wage work for our PENSIONERS :thumbsup:

One Minister in March 2016? Hardly a Party plan is it?

No need for the defensive reaction, on behalf of the caring chaps in the blue corner.

I clearly typed 'Tory suggestion' to indicate this was a 'suggestion' by a 'Tory' (Minister).

If I believed it was a Conservative Party policy, I'd have chosen some different words, to convey that - perhaps including 'Conservative' and 'policy'.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
No need for the defensive reaction, on behalf of the caring chaps in the blue corner.

I clearly typed 'Tory suggestion' to indicate this was an, er 'suggestion' by a 'Tory' (Minister).

If I believed it was a Conservative Party policy, I'd have chosen some different words, to convey that - perhaps including 'Conservative' and 'policy'.

Not blue by any means, just felt that an isolated comment over a year ago put the article into context.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

How dare people see the world and experiance other cultures. GAP year **** that mate, go work on a farm in Linconshire. I doubt too many future employers would be too impressed with that.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Valid points. And I wouldn't say it's irony more the nature of the beast-it's casual seasonal work and many folk use it as a gateway to spending time elsewhere. Although Brexit will sadly slam this door shut for many youngster.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I clearly typed 'Tory suggestion' to indicate this was a 'suggestion' by a 'Tory' (Minister).

:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For some reason this thread reminds me of that Stuart Lee line about "perhaps I prefer to buy my coffee from an over qualified Bulgarian in a Metropolitan area."

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Ah, Lincolnshire. One of the regions at the heart of the Brexit campaign. It's all working well for them by the looks of things. Next thing you know they'll be complaining about staff shortages in hospitals making them wait for their appointments.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Would a £10 minimum wage have any impact upon this industry do you believe?

No idea. But I do believe if you can't pay a living wage you don't have a viable business. I'm not fan of farmers but I do think we should all be paying a lot more for farm produce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here