Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seasonal Farm Worker Shortage

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The EU is not responsible for the level of wages and/or cost of living in differing emerging/new EU countries. Those countries who've joined in the past 10 years or so aren't just going to alter their salary structure to suit the UK. And the EU certainly isn't facilitating that.

A 10% rise in non-skilled EU workers coming to the UK would result in a 1.8% pay drop, according to the Bank of England (the equivalent of being paid £7.44 an hour as as opposed to £7.50 an hour) - which is vastly different from 'driving wages down'. Across ALL sectors of working migrants, there is no evidence of any wages being driven down.

If you think that the farming sector hasnt benefited from cheap labour from elsewhere then your daft and the consequences are obvious.

You cite 1.8% drop in wages on 10% increase on foreign unskilled workers, well in 2014 the unskilled workforce was 16%, which in itself is a wide brush stroke of industries I suspect the farming industry has quite a unique version of statistics that would multiply that effect.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...nts_in_low-skilled_work__Full_report_2014.pdf

Why would any wage deflation at the very bottom when we would all like to see wage increases be deemed favourable.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No, but I live in the real world, and not the sunlit uplands of Brexit fantasy.
I think an earlier poster made the point about migrant workers, and UK workers when it comes to this sort of work.
So, honestly, you think people will give up their benefits, and move their households to do this sort of work for miniumum wages? Really?

Are you serious, so you are unaware that those from eastern Europe are here in the UK picking up a minimum rate from the UK that multiply their earnings compared from the same minimum rate work back home.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Are you serious, so you are unaware that those from eastern Europe are here in the UK picking up a minimum rate from the UK that multiply their earnings compared from the same minimum rate work back home.

Really? I had no idea. Ok, get rid of them. Move the unemployed, and the unemployable to rural areas to do the work. Problem solved. Let me know how it goes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ah, Lincolnshire. One of the regions at the heart of the Brexit campaign. It's all working well for them by the looks of things. Next thing you know they'll be complaining about staff shortages in hospitals making them wait for their appointments.

96% of EU nurses have gone back since the referendum.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its ok, they will be quickly replaced by people rushing to become nurses, despite the bursary being taken away, and being prepared to put thenselves into considerable debt to become a nurse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
work permits for EU seasonal workers , if they like it here so much i'm sure they'll get a work permit, wouldn't you???
regards
DR

Who's going to pay all the civil servants required to process all these work permits?

Jan 30, 2008
QUOTE=Thunder Bolt;7991288]Who's going to pay all the civil servants required to process all these work permits?[/QUOTE] the EU seasonal workers , you make it sound like no other country has the same process, how do they cope:rolleyes:
regards
DR

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Get all the offenders out of jail, chain them up and get picking, for nought
East Londoners like to spend there summer holidays in the fields picking hops and stuff as well.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
QUOTE=Thunder Bolt;7991288]Who's going to pay all the civil servants required to process all these work permits?
the EU seasonal workers , you make it sound like no other country has the same process, how do they cope:rolleyes:
regards
DR[/QUOTE]

Really, which countries are these?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here