Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson radio 4 interview 21 June 17

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
Both Ian Hislop and Paul Merton have apologized to the British electorate for helping to promote this inbred at the beginning of his public career. Hopefully for the country no more Eton bed wetters will ever become Prime Minister again. This BULLINGDON BULLY should have been exposed years ago.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Is he on something? That was embarrassing for a front line politician. I don't like Dianne Abbott but ffs she would be getting ripped to shit from all corners for a performance like that

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Never heard of the interviewer before. Is he normally that rude and angry or was he just a bit grumbly in the hot weather like many of us.

Not Johnson's best work, obviously, so I've gone to check the markets to see what it has done for his chances as being next Prime Minister. Imagine my surprise to see he's still viewed as more likely than Jeremy Corbyn.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Never heard of the interviewer before. Is he normally that rude and angry or was he just a bit grumbly in the hot weather like many of us.

Not Johnson's best work, obviously, so I've gone to check the markets to see what it has done for his chances as being next Prime Minister. Imagine my surprise to see he's still viewed as more likely than Jeremy Corbyn.
Sign of the times, celebrity will always win out over substance.

I quite enjoyed the speech myself, as I said it had a Diane Abbott feel to it. Very entertaining.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Never heard of the interviewer before. Is he normally that rude and angry or was he just a bit grumbly in the hot weather like many of us

I'm surprised you've never heard of Eddie Mair. He's the regular presenter of PM on Radio 4 and is generally known as one of the country's best political interviewers. He was considered for the Newsnight job when Evan Davis got it and IMHO would have been a much better choice. He is usually known for a charming style that puts interviewees at ease and leaves them not noticing the stiletto wound until seeing the blood on their shirt. However he can also do relentless nearly as well as Sargent and has interviewed Johnson enough to know that the key is to avoid chummy and keep him on fact and policy where he is at his weakest because of his total lack of attention to detail. Paxman never did this with Johnson as he always seemed seduced by the act and was too distracted enjoying the spectacle to nail him.

Edited because I forgot that Eddie was also responsible for the famous 'You're a nasty piece of work' Johnson car crash interview when standing in for Andrew Marr in 2013: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/mar/24/boris-johnson-interview-eddie-mair

Last edited:

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008

Could that be that the "market" assumes that the Tories will change leader before they call a general election?

As for not having heard of Eddie Mair...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I never listen to Radio 4 which probably explains why I've never heard of Mr Angry.

Too highbrow for me.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I never listen to Radio 4 which probably explains why I've never heard of Mr Angry.

Too highbrow for me.

Mair's not angry, just doing his job. His approach is generally wry and PM is genuinely funny at times. Whether Mair or Carolyn Quinn presenting, I would rate it as the best daily news programme on the BBC.

Unless you're listening to Melvyn Bragg's 'In Our Time', Radio 4 is not really high brow either, just relentlessly middle class. It does have some excellent programmes if you can be bothered to wade through the listeners' obsession with cataloguing British wildlife, the dodgy sitcoms and the endless episodes of the Archers.

If you never listen to Radio 4 you have missed the British institution that is ISIHAC. It's most recent series have missed Graeme Garden badly, but if you track back and find some of the classic Humph episodes, you will not regret it. Silliness and filth like only the British can do.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mair's not angry, just doing his job. His approach is generally wry and PM is genuinely funny at times. Whether Mair or Carolyn Quinn presenting, I would rate it as the best daily news programme on the BBC.

Unless you're listening to Melvyn Bragg's 'In Our Time', Radio 4 is not really high brow either, just relentlessly middle class. It does have some excellent programmes if you can be bothered to wade through the listeners' obsession with cataloguing British wildlife, the dodgy sitcoms and the endless episodes of the Archers.

If you never listen to Radio 4 you have missed the British institution that is ISIHAC. It's most recent series have missed Graeme Garden badly, but if you track back and find some of the classic Humph episodes, you will not regret it. Silliness and filth like only the British can do.

I love the Today programme and most of the 6.30 comedies on R4. I normally miss Mair as I'm finishing work or travelling at that time but I've still heard of him and am aware of his style.

I walked in to my local Tesco this evening and the one remaining copy of The Sun on the shelves had some scantily clad bird on the front with a pun about the weather and bums. You can guarantee though that inside there was full on, relentless neo-con bullshit. This is the sort of shit the great British public laps up, not Eddie Mair.

It's a great shame as he'd demolish a Lib Dem, Labour, SNP or UKIP acolyte who wasn't on point in exactly the same manner. Surely neutrality and intelligence aren't purely middle class are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If this was Diane Abbott it would be all over the BBC website, Torygraph, Mail, Express....possibly the worst ever interview on live radio!

Oh dear, are you guys STILL smarting about losing the GE. Oh, and yes, I do think Boris was crap.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's actually quite a positive thing.

A preview of the interviews with Labour when they get in.

Fascinating to watch the Tories go from potential biggest landslide to almost self destruction with their biggest vote since 1983 :)

.. maybe they should take another look at the voting system.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

File on Four does some really good investigative journalism....and i love comedies like Cabin Pressure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here