Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Best flooring for an open plan kitchen, living room and dining area

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
This is the route we're going with underfloor heating thrown in to cover hallway, kitchen and conservatory.

With regard to the OP, whilst it is open plan, there is surely no rule that says you have to have the same type of flooring in the kitchen area as you have elsewhere!

Obviously we could go down that route - however both my OH and I would prefer to have the same flooring through-out, rather than a little area that is for the kitchen...

We'll look at all options though

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Go with engineered wooden floor. Better quality than laminate which looks crap but wears better than real wood

We're in the process of getting quotes for engineered wood flooring to go in a new conservatory. More expensive than laminate, but will last longer and be less prone to being damaged by the amount of direct sunlight that'll be hitting the flooring. We've found one that's a really close match to the existing laminate in the lounge ... if we could afford to do it, having discovered the lounge is laminate (we thought it was engineered wood!) I'd look at replacing that as well as the laminate in our kitchen. The kitchen stuff was badly fitted in places and will need replacing at some point, but even the areas that were well fitted are already (floor was only put in something like 5 years ago if what the previous owner told us was true) showing signs of being unsuitable for a kitchen.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One thing I would say about wood / engineered wood in a kitchen, is that it can start to wear very quickly, and at a different rate to the other areas. So an open plan kitchen / dining / living, the same wood will wear differently in the kitchen to the other parts. Mainly due to stuff, crumbs, spills, etc. all getting trodden into the grain of the wood and it being a bit more prone to wear. If you love the natural appearance of wood, and actually the wear is part of the charm, then this is of course part of the beauty of wood, however if you like things to be uniform in appearance, then be very selective of the product and be prepared my regular maintaining of the floor, with a regular clean, then additional wax / oil treatments etc.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Lol this was amtico for the lounge, carpet for bedroom and hall and vinyl for bathrooms... £6500 for whole flat amtico!

Feck me we are charging them way to little, that really actually pisses me off they do feck all for that profit (you will see shortly) I tender, measure, order, book the fitting and get fecked about all day long by sites not ready etc, etc...

Oh well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here