Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Best flooring for an open plan kitchen, living room and dining area

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Buying first property - want some opinions on what would be best to floor the open plan kitchen, living room and dining area.

It's a new build so it'll be bare - however developers have said they won't put in laminate as it expands and shrinks and can cause problems for new builds.

Issue for me is I don't want carpet in the kitchen, but laminate is the cheapest other option (They suggested Amtico at £3500!!!)

Help & opinions please - i'd rather not have concrete for a floor for too long.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
We did our entire new build bungalow with Quick-Step laminate tiles when we moved in 9 years ago. They've been great and are still going strong. The range has changed since but these are the kind of thing:

http://www.quick-step.co.uk/en-gb/laminate/exquisa/exq1556_tivoli-travertine?uf_FloorType=flooring_floortype/005_qs_laminate

http://www.quick-step.co.uk/en-gb/laminate/exquisa/exq1552_slate-dark?uf_FloorType=flooring_floortype/005_qs_laminate

Thanks! They look good - I guess I am just worried about what the developers have said about shrinkage and expanding of the laminate affecting a new build... Did you notice any issues from this?

It would obviously mean I would have to go elsewhere to get the property floored (But this was probably what was going to happen anyway!).

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not to be facetious but I would strongly suggest you visit a large flooring showroom that sells all types of flooring in all price ranges to get some advice and prices.
Then once you know what you want shop around and look for deals in other outlets like free fitting etc then make your final choice.
A small flooring shop has recently opened not far from my house and they do some lovely vinyl type flooring which is much better and posher than I remember it used to be.
You could use different types of flooring in different rooms but colour match it, as you say no carpet in the kitchen.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Bought a new build 7 years ago, managed to get the developer to throw in laminate flooring throughout downstairs and carpet upstairs. They used the same good quality stuff they had layed in the show home. 7 years on we've had no issues at all.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
City Flooring off Portland Road is owned by a 100 percent real Albion fan. They're a big company and their showroom looked as colourful as the North Stand when we got promotion. They will be very helpful and might do a deal.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Bought a new build 7 years ago, managed to get the developer to throw in laminate flooring throughout downstairs and carpet upstairs. They used the same good quality stuff they had layed in the show home. 7 years on we've had no issues at all.

Maybe I just look for some laminate and get it done elsewhere then

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
City Flooring off Portland Road is owned by a 100 percent real Albion fan. They're a big company and their showroom looked as colourful as the North Stand when we got promotion. They will be very helpful and might do a deal.

I'll try and pop in, will need all the quotes I can get!

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Thanks! They look good - I guess I am just worried about what the developers have said about shrinkage and expanding of the laminate affecting a new build... Did you notice any issues from this?

It would obviously mean I would have to go elsewhere to get the property floored (But this was probably what was going to happen anyway!).

We've had no issues with shrinkage/expansion whatsoever. The skirtings were already fitted so we attached extra little runners to them after the floor was fitted as shown here:

IMAG00022.jpg

Here's an image showing the ones I fitted in my room:

01.jpg

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Amtico! I've just done my work premises with it. It's fantastic stuff. All my stuff is the 'Signature' range, but they do others too. Karndean was another I looked at.

I just trawled eBay and bought it for a fraction more than the cheap B&Q stuff!! You'll always find a flooring fitter who's just done a "PLC fit-out" where money's no object, and there are a stack of boxes left over.

Off they go into the back of his van, and onto eBay for some beer money.

Search hard and ye shall find the bargains! Tony Bloom probably has that tattooed on his upper arm. :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We had solid oak put in. Surprisingly cheap packs through Wickes. Gives a lovely look and feel.

No problems 6 years on, as the kitchen isn't a damp environment like a bathroom.

Just remember not to have the floor washed with buckets of water. Someone tried that, despite being advised not to!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Amtico! I've just done my work premises with it. It's fantastic stuff. All my stuff is the 'Signature' range, but they do others too. Karndean was another I looked at.

I just trawled eBay and bought it for a fraction more than the cheap B&Q stuff!! You'll always find a flooring fitter who's just done a "PLC fit-out" where money's no object, and there are a stack of boxes left over.

Off they go into the back of his van, and onto eBay for some beer money.

Search hard and ye shall find the bargains! Tony Bloom probably has that tattooed on his upper arm. :lolol:

Your right you can buy it a lot cheaper as you say above on the internet, However keep in mind both Amtico or Karndead will not honour the long guarantees if it is not purchased from a shop, that's your decision that only you can take 95 times out of 100 there is no problem but just keep that in mind as a self employed fitter any decent one anyway is usually booked up for weeks. We have had people that come to us looking for work and their terrible fitters.

Note you should never need mastic, it looks terrible and takes away from the effect.

Otherwise great choice, if you damage one, an added bonus you can heat them up and replace them.

Another note, they all can be bleached by the sun, anyone who says they can't is lying.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Buying first property - want some opinions on what would be best to floor the open plan kitchen, living room and dining area.

It's a new build so it'll be bare - however developers have said they won't put in laminate as it expands and shrinks and can cause problems for new builds.

Issue for me is I don't want carpet in the kitchen, but laminate is the cheapest other option (They suggested Amtico at £3500!!!)

Help & opinions please - i'd rather not have concrete for a floor for too long.

Hi fella,

I deal with big house builders and we have several sites across the south east.

1: laminate is not advisable in kitchen areas.
2: although it should not shrink downstairs on concrete subfloor, they have problems with upstairs with new builds being timber frame and the subfloors can shrink in areas, we have problems when the skirtings move and they mastic around the edges which pulls the Amtico apart upstairs. They only use mastic to hide the gaps from skirtings to floor and various other things they don't want you to see.
3: we give a house builder a price maybe at 40% mark up because of quantity we do with them, they stick another 40% on it. Go with another shop or retailer far better.

4: any questions pm me, I may do the flooring for that site, and have your house plans (plot number required) and I could work you out some options or at least let you know your quantities you can make your choice from there, I am not trying to get Buisness just help if you need it.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Hi fella,

I deal with big house builders and we have several sites across the south east.

1: laminate is not advisable in kitchen areas.
2: although it should not shrink downstairs on concrete subfloor, they have problems with upstairs with new builds being timber frame and the subfloors can shrink in areas, we have problems when the skirtings move and they mastic around the edges which pulls the Amtico apart upstairs. They only use mastic to hide the gaps from skirtings to floor and various other things they don't want you to see.
3: we give a house builder a price maybe at 40% mark up because of quantity we do with them, they stick another 40% on it. Go with another shop or retailer far better.

4: any questions pm me, I may do the flooring for that site, and have your house plans (plot number required) and I could work you out some options or at least let you know your quantities you can make your choice from there, I am not trying to get Buisness just help if you need it.

Thanks Man,

Have dropped you a message!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here