Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking for an Albion fan from the LGBTQ community

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Ive just read the piece written by somebody from the LGBT community, are his views any different that people from those who are straight ? Just seems that it was added just because we have a large LGBT community and its trying to make the mag more appealing to them when in all honesty the piece could have been written by anybody !

I know right! It's almost as if people from the LGBTQ community are, GASP!, just people like the rest of us!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There are lots of different perspectives from diverse Albion fans which are valid and should be publicised. Take the pre-match rituals. Brewdog or Bulldog? Good beers or good bears?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
In my mind, a football club should represent its community - simple as that.

Brighton and Hove is one of the most eclectic and fascinating places in the country and I want TAM to showcase this.

Acres of articles about the same element of being an Albion fan? Not that interesting.

Our eventual LGBTQ columnist can write about any issues they want to highlight.

So if you ask for a 'fan' & thousands of applicants apply, you can then choose which is in the demographic you prefer. The problem is you don't have a vast pool and excluded the majority in your request.
The mistake (if there was one, that went pages long) was in excluding a vast proportion in the first place based on sexual preference. It doesn't matter what pool you plan to fish from, rather you get to choose the fish. You excluded most of the fish with your initial request, many of whom i'd say are unhappy at being excluded, because they feel they would have written a good alternative viewpoint.

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
People seem to literally enjoy being willfully ignorant.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
In my mind, a football club should represent its community - simple as that.

Brighton and Hove is one of the most eclectic and fascinating places in the country and I want TAM to showcase this.

Acres of articles about the same element of being an Albion fan? Not that interesting.

Our eventual LGBTQ columnist can write about any issues they want to highlight.

Now if you had included that last line in your original post we wouldn't have been subjected to 19 pages of drivel!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
At least the repeated point missing keeps the thread on the first page.

*bouncy*

The Albion Mag

Jan 23, 2017
So if you ask for a 'fan' & thousands of applicants apply, you can then choose which is in the demographic you prefer. The problem is you don't have a vast pool and excluded the majority in your request.
The mistake (if there was one, that went pages long) was in excluding a vast proportion in the first place based on sexual preference. It doesn't matter what pool you plan to fish from, rather you get to choose the fish. You excluded most of the fish with your initial request, many of whom i'd say are unhappy at being excluded, because they feel they would have written a good alternative viewpoint.

You are missing the point completely and it's been explained many times in this thread.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh ok, what is it that's different about being queer as appose to Gay or Lesbian, genuine question.

At a guess, I'd say its probably something to do with 'taking ownership' of a word which has traditionally been used as a negative term for a gay person.

Or something.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I always thought the 'Q' meant 'Questioning'. Or 'Querying'.

Or something.

Tho this was earlydoors, before, say, HSBC, started to offer its transgender customers a choice of 10 new gender-neutral titles.

Tho I admit I've lost touch recently.

I guess they're probably called HSBCQUGTEKZSL now.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Really? An Albion fan from the LGBT community who feels "excluded" from football. I would like to think that no such individual exists.

By Albion fans, or away fans? One would hope that Albion fans would be more tolerant that to do that.

Having belatedly read this thread - It's pretty obvious that Brighton (like every other club) have plenty of 'intolerant' fans.

FWIW, I'd be fascinated to read about the experience of a gay football fan. There is a fantastic group at Derby called Punjabi Rams who, very interesting talking to them about their experiences.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh ok, what is it that's different about being queer as appose to Gay or Lesbian, genuine question.

Wikipedia attempts to describe it better...

'Queer' is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities who are not heterosexual or not cisgender. Originally meaning "strange" or "peculiar", queer came to be used pejoratively against those with same-sex desires or relationships in the late 19th century. Beginning in the late 1980s, queer scholars and activists began to reclaim the word to establish community and assert an identity distinct from the gay identity. People who reject traditional gender identities and seek a broader and deliberately ambiguous alternative to the label LGBT may describe themselves as "queer".

*Cisgender (often abbreviated to simply cis) is a term for people whose gender identity matches the sex that they were assigned at birth. Cisgender may also be defined as those who have "a gender identity or perform a gender role society considers appropriate for one's sex".

In other words, a deviation from the binary 'male' or 'female' with arbitrary traits of gender identity, irrespective of their gender assignation at birth. This is not the same as transgender, which is more specifically someone living as the binary opposite of their birth gender assignation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here