Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking for an Albion fan from the LGBTQ community

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not at all. It's a magazine by fans for fans and represents different viewpoints. All can be covered in this excellent publication and the more diverse the perspectives the better.

Question: if the request was for a disabled fan to write about issues specifically affecting disabled fans at football or their match day experience would this request also be "very odd"?

I don't equate being part of the LGBTQ community with being disabled.

I'm also not particularly interested in reading about the day to day life of fans, whatever way they express their sexuality. I don't find it odd that if they wanted to write an article about an LGBTQ person that they would seek out an LGBTQ person. I find it odd that anyone would be interested in this sort of thing.

I suppose if it helps an LGBTQ person feel more comfortable or if it dispels some myths about football being full of homophobes (it is), then all power to them.

It's not for me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not at all. It's a magazine by fans for fans and represents different viewpoints. All can be covered in this excellent publication and the more diverse the perspectives the better.

Question: if the request was for a disabled fan to write about issues specifically affecting disabled fans at football or their match day experience would this request also be "very odd"?

Quite. Pick a demographic, and the context explains itself.

Perversely, the OP's request (or rather, some of the subsequent replies) has justified the requirement for a writer looking at football from an LGBTQ perspective, no matter how enlightened some people believe Brighton fans are.

The Albion Mag is about football, of course, but - seeing as football does not operate within a vacuum - it's also about the social, commercial and political (with a small 'p') interaction within society as a whole. I think the OP has pulled together a decent cross-section of the Albion fanbase to elucidate that. I can only assume those making the biggest amount of white noise on here are the ones who've not read it, and therefore don't get this.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't equate being part of the LGBTQ community with being disabled.

I'm also not particularly interested in reading about the day to day life of fans, whatever way they express their sexuality. I don't find it odd that if they wanted to write an article about an LGBTQ person that they would seek out an LGBTQ person. I find it odd that anyone would be interested in this sort of thing.

I suppose if it helps an LGBTQ person feel more comfortable or if it dispels some myths about football being full of homophobes (it is), then all power to them.

It's not for me.
I never said they were disabled. However did you come to that conclusion?

I simply pointed out that there are many different perspectives to supporting the Albion and its great if we can here as many as possible. LGBT fans have a view as do teenage boys, middle-aged women, disabled fans or someone who uses the official BHA fan buses to go to matches.

What's so very problematic about reading about these different experiences?

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I simply pointed out that there are many different perspectives to supporting the Albion and its great if we can here as many as possible. LGBT fans have a view as do teenage boys, middle-aged women, disabled fans or someone who uses the official BHA fan buses to go to matches.

I never said you said they were disabled.
I have never stated it's a problem.

I'm totally lost on this,

Surely the only people that need to reply to this thread are those that fit the criteria in the opening post, or know someone that might be interested in helping and also meets the criteria in the opening post.

(I'm aware of the irony of me replying to the thread)

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I have never stated it's a problem.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Saying that someone's sexual orientation gives a different perspective of a sport is wrong. You get many different people that are LGBT, with many different thoughts and perspectives. Many are exactly the same as people of a different sexual orientation. If OP is asking for a purely football column writer, then no, sexuality should definitely not come into it. However I think the OP is asking for a LGBT fan that feels their sexual orientation, social habits and community, makes them feel excluded from those fans that are not LGBT, then I understand the request. But then that's entirely different from asking someone to write about football. I can see both sides. Surely the end game in sexual equality is when we no longer need to differentiate between anyone based on their sexual orientation or community.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
What would happen if we advertised for a White straight male and purposely excluded people from the LGBT + / BAME backgrounds ? NSC would be shut down from all the abuse it would receive.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, but you stated the request was "very odd".

If you don't much care about reading other people's thoughts about supporting the Albion then don't read the magazine. Others, including myself find it extremely interesting.

I think you're reading too much into it all.
I don't see how an LGBTQ person sees football differently than anyone else. So I can only assume it's about football subjects other than the actual game, which I find odd as I personally find that quite dull but as you rightly say, others like it.
I question that with all the comments on here you pick up on my one. You have an agenda here.
Anyway, I really don't have anything further to add to this thread, if indeed I had anything in the first place.
Tatty Bye.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
What would happen if we advertised for a White straight male and purposely excluded people from the LGBT + / BAME backgrounds ? NSC would be shut down from all the abuse it would receive.

FFS :facepalm:

In the world of football, what challenges has the white straight male faced? What stigma? Do you not think that perhaps LGBT fans or even people whose views aren't stuck in the 1970s would be interested to read something from somebody who has a different experience from the average supporter?

Would you hire a white male to write about racism in football or would you hire somebody who has had direct experience of it?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think you're reading too much into it all. I also question that with all the comments on here you pick up on my one. You have an agenda here.
Anyway, I really don't have anything further to add to this thread, if indeed I had anything in the first place.
Tatty Bye.
I have an agenda? You really are a class act. You're the one taking issue with something you actually don't even bother reading and helping derail this thread into a pointless debate.

The OP has made a quite simple and valid request for a writer with a specific viewpoint. I hope he finds someone despite the best efforts of people like you to put people off offering their services.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
So you're saying it's okay to exclude people on race and sexual orientation?

A shame

When you are trying to discuss a subject that specifically involves one particular orientation, one is more qualified to talk about it than the other.

Would you hire a plumber to do the electrics in your house, or is that also too much discrimination for you?

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Saying that someone's sexual orientation gives a different perspective of a sport is wrong. You get many different people that are LGBT, with many different thoughts and perspectives. Many are exactly the same as people of a different sexual orientation. If OP is asking for a purely football column writer, then no, sexuality should definitely not come into it. However I think the OP is asking for a LGBT fan that feels their sexual orientation, social habits and community, makes them feel excluded from those fans that are not LGBT, then I understand the request. But then that's entirely different from asking someone to write about football. I can see both sides. Surely the end game in sexual equality is when we no longer need to differentiate between anyone based on their sexual orientation or community.

Of course that's the end game. Are you suggesting we are there now? If not, then you are de facto acknowledging the need for such a column, to highlight how far we still have to go.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Christ on a bike. If you fancy writing about your experience as a white straight male then go for it. I can assure you no-one is excluded and no-one disadvantaged by the request for a LGBT writer.

The more views the merrier.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
FFS :facepalm:

In the world of football, what challenges has the white straight male faced? What stigma? Do you not think that perhaps LGBT fans or even people whose views aren't stuck in the 1970s would be interested to read something from somebody who has a different experience from the average supporter?

Would you hire a white male to write about racism in football or would you hire somebody who has had direct experience of it?

That's not the point I was making - let's say there is a job advert and you specifically exclude people from 'other' communities.

Of course it's interesting to read different points of view, but the fallout if NSC advertised for a white man - no gays / blacks allowed 'as its not the viewpoint we are looking for' would be astronomical.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have an agenda? You really are a class act. You're the one taking issue with something you actually don't even bother reading and helping derail this thread into a pointless debate.

The OP has made a quite simple and valid request for a writer with a specific viewpoint. I hope he finds someone despite the best efforts of people like you to put people off offering their services.

Oh wind your neck in Grandad. Silly old ****.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here