Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The self-pass rule

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nah, thin end of the wedge, football's perfect as it is, don't change anything, etc

:wink: :fishing:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Like so many other things in football, I think that poor or inconsistent interpretation of the existing laws is actually a bigger issue than the laws themselves.

On this specific subject of cynically stopping the momentum of an attack - if yellows were consistently handed out for what are in theory MANDATORY bookings, it would immediately become much less of an issue. Take for example, that thing when a player concedes a foul, then picks up the ball, and holds it whilst they wander away, before lobbing it halfway back, once they (and their team-mates) are back behind the ball. Happens every game, and there is simply ZERO justification for an outfield player to pick up a dead ball, yet players are almost NEVER carded for it.

Not shit laws. Just shit refereeing.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Amongst several ideas mooted by David Elleray, I see the hockey self-pass rule has been floated to incorporate into football.

In essence, it simply means that when a free kick is awarded, a player doesn’t have to pass the ball to someone, or shoot. He can simply start dribbling with the ball, immediately if he likes. Or he can still wait for the 10 yards and then either pass/shoot as before, or start dribbling with it. But if an opponent is within 10 yards of the ball and deliberately tackles the self-pass, he gets carded. I’m struggling to see the downside to this.

1. It keeps the game flowing. No more arguing the toss with the ref over the free kick, because the defence will immediately have to retreat in preparation of the fouled played running at them.

2. It gives a distinct advantage to the fouled side, enabling a more immediate attacking threat, and diminishing the benefit of those cynical deliberate fouls that just allow everyone to get back and get organised.

3. It sounds like fun.

Why can't we just go back to kicking an inflated pig's bladder from one end of the village to the other?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why can't we just go back to kicking an inflated pig's bladder from one end of the village to the other?

That is the COOLEST thing I've ever seen on here. How did you make my quote melt away to blah blah land ?

TEACH ME

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I like it. I used to play hockey and it works as you have the spare man and not the other team. Teams having the ball should have the advantage.

In Hockey, however, no one encroached the space when a free kick was awarded because you could hoof a ball into a player knackers / knee / ankle and it was THIER fault because they were too close. In football, we will need strong refereeing which isn't the same as the self interest in keeping your left testicle.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yeah, like the second point, giving a clear advantage to attackers and discouraging the tactical foul.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Like so many other things in football, I think that poor or inconsistent interpretation of the existing laws is actually a bigger issue than the laws themselves.

On this specific subject of cynically stopping the momentum of an attack - if yellows were consistently handed out for what are in theory MANDATORY bookings, it would immediately become much less of an issue. Take for example, that thing when a player concedes a foul, then picks up the ball, and holds it whilst they wander away, before lobbing it halfway back, once they (and their team-mates) are back behind the ball. Happens every game, and there is simply ZERO justification for an outfield player to pick up a dead ball, yet players are almost NEVER carded for it.

Not shit laws. Just shit refereeing.

Yeah, exactly.

Players are clearly taught to automatically delay any free kick or throw in against them by standing next to the ball, nudging it away, picking it up etc. It's tedious, and there is the remit within the existing laws to clamp down on it. Refs are much more lenient these days on kicking the ball away, it has to be ridiculously blatant and usually at the end of a game with a team hanging on for them to get the Y out. Drives me mad.

PG

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The rule does nothing to change that though? Under the current rules that player preventing the kick being taken, would be yellow carded - which is exactly what the proposed rule suggests for a tackle.

and how consistently is that rule applied, standard Ops is for one player to stand in front of the ball and argue with ref, move ball, distract player whilst his mates do their hair, straighten their shirts and get into the perfect position once the keeper has taken out his slide rule. I'm all for this, as people have said keeps the game flowing and gives less advantage to the cheats.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
and how consistently is that rule applied, standard Ops is for one player to stand in front of the ball and argue with ref, move ball, distract player whilst his mates do their hair, straighten their shirts and get into the perfect position once the keeper has taken out his slide rule. I'm all for this, as people have said keeps the game flowing and gives less advantage to the cheats.

It isn't. That is my point :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here