Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thomas Delaney

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
He doesnt strike me as a player that we would be interested in so until now it didnt seem to matter where he went.
Hang on, how would you have any idea whether he is someone we would be interested in when you apparently have no interest in football in other countries?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let me think about that.....

Hmmmm...

Remind me again how many 26 year old internationals did we let go this season.....

But he's not a proper international, he's Danish.
So the only reason he plays for a team with more recent success in international competition than the country that invented the game, is because of limited numbers, just like George Best's Northern Ireland.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But he's not a proper international, he's Danish.
So the only reason he plays for a team with more recent success in international competition than the country that invented the game, is because of limited numbers, just like George Best's Northern Ireland.
Reminds me of the *Not-good-enough-for-Liverpool-so-not-good-enough-for-us* 'debate' about Joe Gomez

*rarely wrong*

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
You and I know this but I was quoting verbatim from Alan’s crash bang wallop what a video!

“Britain has some of the safest roads in Europe but this isn’t Britain, this is der autobähn!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Has he 100% signed for Dortmund yet or are we still in the race? Even ignoring silly Twitter posts that he's been spotted in Brighton over the past 8 hours, I can't find one single media outlet confirming that Dortmund have signed him.

I've got to say, I'm not sure whether he's worth €25m anyway IMO.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Has he 100% signed for Dortmund yet or are we still in the race? Even ignoring silly Twitter posts that he's been spotted in Brighton over the past 8 hours, I can't find one single media outlet confirming that Dortmund have signed him.

I've got to say, I'm not sure whether he's worth €25m anyway IMO.

Nothing official as yet. Reports in Germany suggesting it will be announced on Friday. This Dortmund fansite thinks he's a bit overpriced too https://www.fearthewall.com/2018/5/30/17409852/report-bvb-will-sign-thomas-delaney

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I only understood a tiny bit of that. So what’s it saying? Another twist or two would be welcome to stretch this one out a bit more, things have been getting a bit quiet and dull lately.

The translation was saying he's maybe playing both the interested parties in England and Dortmund. I'll look for the translated article.

Edit: here's the article:

The case of Thomas Delaney is tricky. MY WERDER provides an assessment of what's going on at the change poker for Werder midfielder.

Thomas Delaney released small film snippets on the social media platform Instagram on Wednesday evening. In it he can be seen opening panini bags in his room at the team hotel in Helsingor. The first bag contains: a sticker by Thomas Delaney. In the end, Delaney opened several bags and laid out a dozen pictures of himself on his bed. At the end, Delaney looks at the camera half amused, half confused.

Equally half amused, half confused, the public is reacting to what is happening in terms of Thomas Delaney. The Danish newspaper "Ekstra Bladet" had given Delaney an exclusive interview and raved about the size and benefits of Borussia Dortmund. The more or less subtle message was: I want to BVB.

In the social media, people react very differently to it. Especially that Delaney had always spoken of England and the Premier League as the target of his dreams, amused many. "When will the Queen come to her Westphalian county, what will become of Dortmund after Brexit, and will the first child of Harry and Meghan really be called Prince Aki?", A user tweeted. Or: "Werder or Dortmund - main thing England". Not all of them can muster that much humor. Delaney is also referred to as a "liar" or "mercenary" in various commentaries. This leads to the question: What is happening right now? England? Dortmund? Werder? Who plays which game? At this point, the attempt is now to bring light into the semi-darkness.

Thesis 1: Thomas Delaney really wants to Borussia Dortmund
That really seems to be the case. The reasons that speak for Dortmund, Delaney called itself on Wednesday: The BVB plays for titles and in the Champions League. In addition, the new makers in Dortmund have identified the defensive midfield as a vulnerability. Sebastian Kehl, formerly a fearless scorer in front of the BVB defense, and Matthias Sammer, fighting name Feuerkopf, are now working as consultants to Borussia, Lucien Favre is the new coach. They will have long since developed a strategy for reviving BVB, and that includes strengthening the central midfield, as it stands.

Julian Weigl is considered one of the most gifted sixes in the league, but he lacks a bit of robustness. Nuri Sahin is often only a second choice, behind Gonzalo Castro is only a modest season, Sebastian Rode was injured all season. And if defender Sokratis should change to England, whereupon it probably comes out, the BVB is missing another leading player, of which there are not too many in the Dortmund squad anyway. Michael Zorc on the Dortmund side denies that the change is as good as perfect. Werder sports chief Frank Baumann may also not confirm the operation.

Thesis 2: Thomas Delaney uses the Dortmund interest to increase pressure on prospective players from the Premier League
Also a possibility. It is remarkable what dynamics have developed over the past few days. That Delaney wants clarity as quickly as possible, is understandable. In front of him is the biggest tournament in the world, to free your mind for it, is certainly not the worst. That should also see his coach at the national team.

The fact that Delaney gives an exclusive interview two weeks before the start of the tournament at the edge of the training camp of a tabloid newspaper and says what he said is coolly calculated. He also increases the pressure on other interested parties - for example, from the so beloved by him Premier League. The message is clear: if a club wants Thomas Delaney, then he has to hurry now.

There is still time to offer the approximately 25 million euros demanded by Werder. Borussia Dortmund is not ready for that at the moment, but the poker and the time are running. Brighton & Hove Albion Werder has already submitted an offer from England, but the Werder was clearly too low. Tottenham Hotspur is also mentioned as a prospect, so could Delaney in midfield replace the Belgian international Mousa Dembele, whose time at the Champions League participants after six years supposedly end.

Thesis 3: Werder can only win at this poker
Im Grunde ist das so. Dass Delaney den Klub verlassen wird, ist für die Entscheider schon länger beschlossene Sache. Wenn Cheftrainer Florian Kohfeldt im Interview mit MEIN WERDER sagt: „Wir müssen ihn nicht abgeben“, dann ist das korrekt, denn Delaney hat noch einen Vertrag bis 2021, und Werders Existenz hängt von der Frage „kaufen oder behalten“ auch nicht ab. Aber um tatsächlich eine Zukunft bei Werder zu haben, hat sich Delaney spätestens mit seinen Aussagen im „Ekstra Bladet“ jetzt zu weit aus dem Fenster gelehnt. Ein Zurück kann es nicht mehr geben. Und die Premier League muss damit für ihn ja auch nicht gestorben sein: In ein, zwei Jahren kann er es ja erneut versuchen.

For Werder, it's all about getting the highest possible transfer fee. There are two variants for this: before the World Cup or after. Sports director Frank Baumann says: "We have no time pressure." In a sale before the World Cup Werder would have planning security, knew early on how many millions could go on a shopping spree to find a Delaney replacement.

A sale after the World Cup would be a chance and a risk at the same time: Delaney could play a brilliant tournament. That would screw up the transfer fee accordingly. The opposite scenario - an early Danish end with weak Delaney appearances - could make potential buyers rethink their interest. In that case there would be two losers: Delaney, who at worst will not find a new club, and Werder, who keeps a player who actually wanted to be somewhere else long ago. That, however, is the most unlikely of all variants.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I only understood a tiny bit of that. So what’s it saying? Another twist or two would be welcome to stretch this one out a bit more, things have been getting a bit quiet and dull lately.

With my dodgy German basically saying that they have a theory he is using the Dortmund interest to stimulate the best offer from a premier league and that Werder can only win from this game of Poker.

That and he’s unlikely to be in the mood to marry a two-legged badger wrapped in a curtain.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's only been at Bremen for just under a year and a half and said it was his dream to play in the Prem. Will Dortmund fans think they're getting a mercenary who will use them as a stepping stone?

Bremen must be making plans on how to spend the 20 mill Euros coming their way too.

The Spurs angle is interesting as they need to replace Mousa Dembele and Denmark teammate Eriksen might be in his ear during the World Cup.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here