Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thomas Delaney

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Did we start with three at the back against Chelsea (?) at home and it was less than successful so we reverted to a flat back four.

We went 2-0 down but that was more to do with individuals than the formation. The next hour was one of our best of the season, with Schelotto particularly impressive at right wing-back. Then further errors by Duffy and Suttner gifted Chelsea further goals but somehow it seemed to be the system that got the blame.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We went 2-0 down but that was more to do with individuals than the formation. The next hour was one of our best of the season, with Schelotto particularly impressive at right wing-back. Then further errors by Duffy and Suttner gifted Chelsea further goals but somehow it seemed to be the system that got the blame.

The formation gets the blame because the formation (Schelotto aside) looked shaky.
That's not to say we'll never see it again, but if we do see 3 centre backs it'll be right through pre-season.

CH doesn't need much of an excuse to not rock the boat, which is why the team weren't allowed to play themselves into the new formation.

As much as we all love the 'commitment' by D&D, the bottom line is the team can't progress with so many last ditch tackles at one end and no goals up the other, so something has got to give.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Did we start with three at the back against Chelsea (?) at home and it was less than successful so we reverted to a flat back four.

Yea we did we also played 2 centre backs vs Liverpool and remember how that ended. That shouldnt be the only reason not to change things. CH tried it because teams like Arsenal had success with it vs Chelsea.

You also imply it was the only reason why we lost...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Offensively it might have been, defensively it certainly was not, any time Dunk gets isolated on the left side, it simply isn’t working.

The gaps between the CBs were extreme for most of the game, and as you point out the player it suited most was Schelotto.

It’s an easy formation to break down and I hope we don’t use it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
A back 3 formation requires players who are both mobile and technically proficient. I am not sure that Duffy, solid as he is in a back 4, falls into either of those categories. However, a back 3 of Balogun, Dunk and Goldson might work.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
A back 3 formation requires players who are both mobile and technically proficient. I am not sure that Duffy, solid as he is in a back 4, falls into either of those categories. However, a back 3 of Balogun, Dunk and Goldson might work.

Balogun, Dunk & Liam Moore?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The formation gets the blame because the formation (Schelotto aside) looked shaky.
That's not to say we'll never see it again, but if we do see 3 centre backs it'll be right through pre-season.

CH doesn't need much of an excuse to not rock the boat, which is why the team weren't allowed to play themselves into the new formation.

As much as we all love the 'commitment' by D&D, the bottom line is the team can't progress with so many last ditch tackles at one end and no goals up the other, so something has got to give.

I would like to see progress by being more attacking, but Burnley seem to have progressed without moving away from a defending lots, scoring little type of approach.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would like to see progress by being more attacking, but Burnley seem to have progressed without moving away from a defending lots, scoring little type of approach.
I think that's what we're going to be looking at, which is a bit of a shame but at least 'the' goal will be an enjoyable experience.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Offensively it might have been, defensively it certainly was not, any time Dunk gets isolated on the left side, it simply isn’t working.

The gaps between the CBs were extreme for most of the game, and as you point out the player it suited most was Schelotto.

It’s an easy formation to break down and I hope we don’t use it again.

Totally agree with this. You can apportion blame to both the system and the individuals. The 3 centre backs did not know who should go to the ball and who should go with a runner, making it easy for Willian and hazard to find the gaps and play it round us.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Isn't Delaney simply an upgrade on Propper?

If you want to improve on 15th then one area you'd target would be more goal production from central midfield.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Isn't Delaney simply an upgrade on Propper?

If you want to improve on 15th then one area you'd target would be more goal production from central midfield.

We can't expect to be able to play Stephens Propper in almost every game again. We need a quality alternative. Horses for courses also, I would expect to have Delaney Stephens for the tougher games and Propper played more at home.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
No offence to Kayal but a midfield trio of Pröpper, Stephens and Delaney is miles better than when we’ve deployed the former instead.

Sex wee good for a club of our stature in fact.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Plan A

X---Stephens---Delaney---X
------------Gross---------------
---------------X-------------------

Plan B

X---Stephens---Propper---X
------------Gross---------------
---------------X-------------------

Plan C