Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thomas Delaney

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Interesting test of the "cluster" strategy this. You can't possibly have Delaney and McNair in a "cluster" based on ability but you could (I suppose) based on an ability proportionate to price calculation. My guess is there will be another midfield target rated higher than DS and DP as well as McNair (who you couldn't currently believe to be superior to DS and DP.) We shall see.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't see McNair as the answer to our lack of pace breaking forward from midfield but I do see him in an Eric Dier role, i.e. DM but can cover for CB.

I think it's important we land McNair because - between them - Balogun and McNair can cover for the loss of Rosenior, Hunemeier, Goldson and Sidwell.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I don't think McNair is anything like Delaney.
I also don't see any credible suggestion that we were interested in Delaney this summer.

Nothing to see here.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I also don't see any credible suggestion that we were interested in Delaney this summer.

Nothing to see here.

Bild is fairly credible.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Nothing to see here.

Correct. We won't be signing Thomas Delaney. As you say l have seen nothing to even remotely connect us with him since this time last year.. I like Paddy McNair, but he is a completely different kind of midfield player to Delaney.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Correct. We won't be signing Thomas Delaney. As you say l have seen nothing to even remotely connect us with him since this time last year.. I like Paddy McNair, but he is a completely different kind of midfield player to Delaney.

How would you describe each players style?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
How would you describe each players style?

I see Delaney as much more of an attacking midfielder than McNair. Admittedly McNair filled a similar position in the final few games of last season, scoring a few goals, but by nature he always seems to have been a more defensive player, and if he were to sign for tgh Albion that would be where l would expect so see him, playing very deep in midfield, or even deputising in defence. Leave the forward runs to the likes of Davy Propper.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
I see Delaney as much more of an attacking midfielder than McNair. Admittedly McNair filled a similar position in the final few games of last season, scoring a few goals, but by nature he always seems to have been a more defensive player, and if he were to sign for tgh Albion that would be where l would expect so see him, playing very deep in midfield, or even deputising in defence. Leave the forward runs to the likes of Davy Propper.

That's how I saw it, but have been swayed by his recent evolution into a more attacking player. I have read a lot on him recently, stuff written by coaches and fellow players who have been impressed by his attacking play. Both Chris Coleman and the Northern Ireland Coach have recently describe him as a box to box player.

He is only 23 but he is physically the same height and weight as Delaney, but 3 years behind in age and development. The major difference is one is left footed and the other right.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
That's how I saw it, but have been swayed by his recent evolution into a more attacking player. I have read a lot on him recently, stuff written by coaches and fellow players who have been impressed by his attacking play. Both Chris Coleman and the Northern Ireland Coach have recently describe him as a box to box player.

He is only 23 but he is physically the same height and weight as Delaney, but 3 years behind in age and development. The major difference is one is left footed and the other right.

It's really not.
The major difference is one is £20M+ from Bundesliga Werder Bremen and one is £5M from League One Sunderland.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
It's really not.
The major difference is one is £20M+ from Bundesliga Werder Bremen and one is £5M from League One Sunderland.

That just means one is a bargain, which seems to be our forte of late.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
No, it really doesn't.

OK, so how would you evaluate them?

McNair is more versatile and has played as a defender, but doesn't mean he isn't better as a midfielder.

Steven Gerrard began as a right back but developed into one of the worlds best box to box midfielders.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Next...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
He's signed. For Dortmund.

https://twitter.com/BVB/status/1004746211780366336

On signing he said “I’ve always wanted to play in the Premier League and I had offers. But when Borussia Dortmund contacted me and offered me more money than I thought I'd ever get playing
for Brighton in the Premier League
, I didn't have to think long.”

yep. Alright. Don't rub it in.

FTFY (him) ;)

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
He's signed. For Dortmund.

https://twitter.com/BVB/status/1004746211780366336

On signing he said “I’ve always wanted to play in the Premier League and I had offers. But when Borussia Dortmund contacted me, I didn't have to think long.”
yep. Alright. Don't rub it in.

Translates too :

I wanted Prem but none would pay the over inflated fee WB wanted . So it was Dortmund or nothing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here