Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London mayor considers pay-per-mile road pricing and ban on new parking

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
London is to consider pay-per-mile road pricing and banning car parking in new developments under plans to cut 3m car journeys a day in the capital.

A transport strategy to be published on Wednesday by the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, will set targets to ensure 80% of journeys are made by public transport, walking or cycling.

Khan said: “As London’s population is set to increase beyond 10 million, our future health and prosperity is more and more dependent on us reducing our reliance on cars.

“We have to be ambitious in changing how our city works. While there will be 5m additional journeys being made across our transport network by 2041, at the same time we’re setting ourselves a bold target of reducing car journeys by 3m every day.

“We have to make not using your car the affordable, safest and most convenient option for Londoners going about their daily lives. This is not only essential for dealing with congestion as London grows, but crucial for reducing our toxic air pollution and improving the health of all Londoners.”

Means price hikes for taxis and plumbers if you are in desperate need :facepalm:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
traffic and travel by road in central London, or pretty much any where, is horrendous. car travel is a either a luxury for those that prefer their own company or a necessity. price per mile isnt going to impact either group much.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Need to wait until tomorrow when the proposals are released in full.

The main point of interest will be the area covered by the proposals in terms of mile charging, is the whole of London or an inner area only like the congestion charge, as well as the proposed charges.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
London is to consider pay-per-mile road pricing and banning car parking in new developments under plans to cut 3m car journeys a day in the capital.
"We have to be ambitious in changing how our city works."
So the ambitious plan is not to make public transport good enough to use, but to price people out of using their car. Genius.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
So the ambitious plan is not to make public transport good enough to use, but to price people out of using their car. Genius.

Quite - and that's not just London. All over the country, public transport schemes have failed to make the necessary impact. Why?
Because they are focused too much on getting people out of cars, and not enough focus on making the alternative better value and more palatable to the driver.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Im not necessarily saying this is the answer but something needs to give. Take Brighton for example, the city centre is utter chaos at weekends and the problem seems to be more to do with buses clogging up, chocking up, and swinging out from every visible angle and numerous buses all trying to stop at the same bus stop. If ever there was an example for needing trams Brighton is it.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Im not necessarily saying this is the answer but something needs to give. Take Brighton for example, the city centre is utter chaos at weekends and the problem seems to be more to do with buses clogging up, chocking up, and swinging out from every visible angle and numerous buses all trying to stop at the same bus stop. If ever there was an example for needing trams Brighton is it.

The Greens & Labour will sort it out silly! :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Greens & Labour will sort it out silly! :shrug:

I think it needs the will of the locals as well. I just know the minute you mention anything relating to changing road access car drivers will start moaning about their birth right to drive and park when and where they want.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Bring back trams but what brighton needs is an underground linking west to east and north to south or a circular line.
It's a shame the old Kemp Town railway line has gone could have serviced the hospital and East Brighton.
If Brighton was flat like Amsterdam then bikes might work but it's heart attack terrain.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Driving in London most days I don't find the traffic that bad tbh. Use Waze and you will hardly ever be stuck in traffic.

Hmm ... I was up in London last week and it was too hot to take a Boris bike or Tube. My journey from Victoria to TCR took nearly 50 minutes. I took a cab on the way back - that took nearly 30 minutes. That's half an hour to travel a couple of miles. If you don't think that's too bad, I'd like to know what you consider heavy traffic.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Hmm ... I was up in London last week and it was too hot to take a Boris bike or Tube. My journey from Victoria to TCR took nearly 50 minutes. I took a cab on the way back - that took nearly 30 minutes. That's half an hour to travel a couple of miles. If you don't think that's too bad, I'd like to know what you consider heavy traffic.
Taxi driver was mugging you off

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Taxi driver was mugging you off

She wasn't: there were a big group of us and the people in the other taxi took about 12/13 minutes longer. It would have been quicker to walk than take that one

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Quite - and that's not just London. All over the country, public transport schemes have failed to make the necessary impact. Why?
Because they are focused too much on getting people out of cars, and not enough focus on making the alternative better value and more palatable to the driver.
I know and it's a ****ing joke. Every party seems as incapable as each other. I'm thinking I could do a better job, but then I'm not sure I know many people that couldn't.

I've no idea how well trams work as a traffic easing solution (in place of buses). Is that generally what they're used for?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've no idea how well trams work as a traffic easing solution (in place of buses). Is that generally what they're used for?

They're used primarily for ferrying people around but modern purpose built tram systems work brilliantly and way better than buses.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I didn't have a car for the decade I lived in London, absolutely no need for it, the public transport infrastructure is brilliant. However, I can't help thinking that Khan will still use a car and pay nothing for it.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
As someone who lives, works and drives in London, i agree something needs to give - The difference in School term time traffic being a big starter.

Limiting parking for new build is good too, it creates a massive problem when 20/30 houses/flats get built and then all the spaces disappear locally :rant:

I run an LPG van, but it's not worth squat when it comes to congestion or ULEZ; I'm lucky, as i nearly bought a newer (2013/14) diesel van this year, but under the proposed/expanded ULEZ , i'd have to pay £12.50 a day, 7 days a week, to be/live inside the South Circ.

With a new electric van being £60k, my only option is a newer than 2015 (Euro 6) diesel van, at a very reasonable £20k.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here