Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains not running between HH and Brighton until possibily 18.30

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Any updates from the NSC Hive mind and travel experts on likelyhood of getting home tonight?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Track defect near Preston Park. They'll take some via Lewes, some the long Arun Valley way & cancel others. Expect knock on cancellations as stock ends up out of place.

I'm currently heading home from Birmingham but am on leg 1 Brum to Euston. Think I might have a leisurely pint by the river

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I wonder if this is related to the journey back that I had. At about 4.30, I was on a Southern Train and just going past Preston Park Station into Brighton when it felt like the train had hit something on the left hand side and was about to be derailed. First thought was a jumper but with no splatter or screams I assumed something on the line. Thankfully, the train crawled into Brighton rather than stop where it was.

Gonna be some very, very crowded trains this evening and in this heat. Not good.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Track defect near Preston Park. They'll take some via Lewes, some the long Arun Valley way & cancel others. Expect knock on cancellations as stock ends up out of place.

I'm currently heading home from Birmingham but am on leg 1 Brum to Euston. Think I might have a leisurely pint by the river

thanks, you beat me to it

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Some cracking boozers near King's cross old goods yards - if you want to walk down that way.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Some cracking boozers near King's cross old goods yards - if you want to walk down that way.

Wouldn't trust that strategy one inch unless you have accommodation sorted in London town. Else you're more than likely to get stuck in a slow running, horribly sweaty and overcrowded short formation train out of the capital later tonight. Oh, and the the air conditioning will have broken down and the toilets will be out of action. Them's the rules.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I wonder if this is related to the journey back that I had. At about 4.30, I was on a Southern Train and just going past Preston Park Station into Brighton when it felt like the train had hit something on the left hand side and was about to be derailed. First thought was a jumper but with no splatter or screams I assumed something on the line. Thankfully, the train crawled into Brighton rather than stop where it was.

Gonna be some very, very crowded trains this evening and in this heat. Not good.

Track buckled in the heat which is what you felt

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Wouldn't trust that strategy one inch unless you have accommodation sorted in London town. Else you're more than likely to get stuck in a slow running, horribly sweaty and overcrowded short formation train out of the capital later tonight. Oh, and the the air conditioning will have broken down and the toilets will be out of action. Them's the rules.

Spoilsport

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I am on a thameslink which is going through to brighton so some trains are making through. The majority are terminating at Three Bridges currently. If In London, stay for a pint and get some dinner.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Made the 18.30 which appears to be on time and going to Brighton. Things may be heading back to "normal".

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
Presently on the 5.41 from LB which has crawled along from Gatwick to HH where it has arrived 22 mins behind schedule... apparantly line is now fully open but lots on conjestion due to earlier speed restrictions....

markw

Aug 28, 2009
It is quite staggering isn't it...can only work if the temp is between 5 and 25 degrees!
Which is the problem the railways have in this country have, Really hot countries are hot most of the time, the rail in this country
has to deal with temperatures ranging from -20 to +50 which is challenging, in certain months rail temperature can be -10 at night
and +25 during the day.
I have seen a rail cut one morning around 8am during engineering works and positioned to allow sleepers to be changed, around 200 yards
unclipped and when reinstalled around 12 hours later to be welded it was 4" too long!
Anyway, tomorrow is predicted to be the hottest summer solstice on record so expect more of the same unfortunately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here