Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock has signed a new three-year deal

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They are very different types of player and depending who we sign may both end up as squad players.
I would suggest if they aren't, well rotated, squad players we could be looking at a Middlesbrough type season.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Let's see how many starts both of those players actually get? We all know that we need 2 new strikers if we have any chance of staying up next season

We certainly need at least one . BUT do we sign a marque striker for loads of money who expects to play ! or do we sign a striker with very little pedigree who wants to play.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Deeply disappointing. Waste of a squad number at the level we aim to be playing at.Sorry to buck the gormless hivemind and all that.
To be fair I'd rather keep baldock and get rid of Murray and hemed and sign 2/3 new strikers as don't see Murray or hemed doing much next season what's so ever and I think we're tying up players in case the inevitable relegation happens.
Like baldock and he's at a good age so not too disappointed....The Murray contract was hideous and would presume he will be a part of something as he wasn't good enough for palace or Bournemouth in the prem.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would suggest if they aren't, well rotated, squad players we could be looking at a Middlesbrough type season.

Succinct but great post. My thoughts exactly, all along.

Murray, Hemed and Baldock will not score enough against some of the best defenders/goalies and well drilled defensive systems, to keep us up. We must also take into account Baldock's injury record.

A new quality target man who can score vital goals at the top level, and similarly a top flight quality striker with immense pace, are I think vital.

I'm pleased Baldock is staying. He's an excellent forward to have in the squad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey, them too?! Must admit, the Hyypia era had happily faded into a hazy blur in my mind. But now....well....HYYPIA IN!!
Well here's a real shock for your memory banks.

It wasn't really the Hyypia era, but David Burke's reign.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Succinct but great post. My thoughts exactly, all along.

Murray, Hemed and Baldock will not score enough against some of the best defenders/goalies and well drilled defensive systems, to keep us up. We must also take into account Baldock's injury record.

A classy target man who can score vital goals at the top level, and similarly a top flight quality striker with immense pace, are I think vital.

I'm pleased Baldock is staying. He's an excellent forward to have in the squad.
Yep

Us fans now need to change our expectation levels.
For all of the life of NSC we've demanded a 20 goal striker.

TBH if the club can sign one player (assuming 2 is to much of dream) who can get into double figures, while HMB weigh in with 5 ish each, we should be well set.

Anyone who feels Baldock and Murray are the answer, is clearly not asking the right question.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let's see how many starts both of those players actually get? We all know that we need 2 new strikers if we have any chance of staying up next season

Maybe you didn't notice that goals came from a lot of different players last season. Midfielders and defenders are expected to score too. It seems to be a common theme on here, that we'll only succeed if we have a marque player costing millions.
A team has lots of options.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Were we too harsh on poor old David?

Nope but we didn't spread the blame around the boardroom, or begrudgingly accept even a stopped clock is right twice.

boik

Deeply disappointing. Waste of a squad number at the level we aim to be playing at.Sorry to buck the gormless hivemind and all that.

Always good to have your scapegoat selected early. Or are you hoping that we sign a new expensive scapegoat to replace him. As Sir Alf said to Jackie Charlton "I don't pick the best players, I pick the best team". Our team is nearly always better if it has Sam in it to stretch the opposition.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think this is a sensible move.
Of the three strikers contracted, you'd think he'd be the best suited to the Prem (and at the perfect age).
One year left on a contract and you might find a championship club offer us a derisory sum and make it clear to Sam that he can have a lot more cash there.
Suddenly we are in a position where we have to consider keeping an unhappy player or letting him go and having to make yet another attacking signing this summer.

Now, all sorted. Probably for a wage not hugely above his previous (having factored in a substantial promotion rise)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So now we have

Hemed - 1 year left
Murray - 2 years left
Baldock - 3 years left

Nice spread, I'm guessing a new big money striker to come in on 4 years, and a fifth striker on loan.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here