Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you were Maenpaa...

What would you do if you were Maenpaa?

• Sign as No 2 at Brighton with the small but real chance of playing in Premier League games

Votes: 51 62.2%
  • Sign as No 1 somewhere else and play every week

Votes: 31 37.8%

• Total voters

Lush

Mods' Pet
Would you sign as a No 2 (hoping for the odd cup game or maybe to step in for longer if there's an injury, but the chance to play in the Premier League and at some great grounds?)

Or would you rather be No 1, playing every week, at a lower league club at home or abroad?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Would you rather work hard in a pound shop or get paid by Harrods for doing naff all? Depends what sort of player he is really?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
A 1yr deal in the Premier League sounds right for both parties, he gets a season the bench and maybe some game time.

Follwoing year can move on, thats what i would do if i were him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sing for the albion.

1 injury to the #1 away from getting the chance to keep in the PL, and Ryan will have a midseason trip or 2 to Australia anyway.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seemed to have no issues with being constantly bench-warming in the Championship.

Seems to have similarly no issues about doing the same in the Premier League.

IMHO, he's a lad who fully knows his own mind. Maybe he even doesn't have an agent constantly nagging at him to move. Total model professional so far as i can see. Tho I guess the knowledge that being your national keeper also helps in that respect. would have full confidence in him to be a solid reliable first choice keeper for the Albion if they'd decided to invest the transfer money elsewhere. We are SO lucky to have him as back-up.

Would be really interesting to find out what makes him tick tho. Anybody ever really asked him?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sing for the albion.

1 injury to the #1 away from getting the chance to keep in the PL, and Ryan will have a midseason trip or 2 to Australia anyway.

Isn't it almost certain that he'll miss about 6-8 games in December/January? If so Maenpaa will only be stuffed if we sign another experienced keeper.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Personally I would look for another club. If he has ambitions to play for Finland then playing for our stiffs is not what he should be doing.

He should go and let one of the youngsters be the number 2.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Personally I would look for another club. If he has ambitions to play for Finland then playing for our stiffs is not what he should be doing.

He should go and let one of the youngsters be the number 2.

There is NO chance that 'one of the youngsters' will be our Premier League number 2 keeper, regardless of Maenpaa's decision.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
You have to consider the family element. He had a baby just before christmas and this must play a factor in his decision.

Ultimately he is free to look around and weigh up his options knowing that we will still take him on even if we sign another keeper as we would ideally want 3 to compete

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Would you sign as a No 2 (hoping for the odd cup game or maybe to step in for longer if there's an injury, but the chance to play in the Premier League and at some great grounds?)

Or would you rather be No 1, playing every week, at a lower league club at home or abroad?

It's a great question and difficult. I don't know the motivation to be no.2. If I was NM I'd probably do the duties, but that's just me.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Stay and fight for the jersey.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Isn't it almost certain that he'll miss about 6-8 games in December/January? If so Maenpaa will only be stuffed if we sign another experienced keeper.

I think that's next season when the 2019 Asian Cup takes place, Australia have already qualified.

If Australia finish 3rd in their WC qualifying group they face the prospect of 2 play off rounds to make the final. This would more than likely see Ryan miss a home game against Everton in October and a visit to Swansea in November, because of the proximity of those games to the dates Australia are playing and the obvious problems with distance for travelling.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here