Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Think your credit card expires at the end of the expiry date month? Think again!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I too work in this industry, and I have to say I have never heard of this practice from card issuers.

It is against data protection and potentially PCI compliance to issue a new card and allow a supplier to store it without the cardholders permission. You have given express permission to use one payment card, but when the number changes on renewal (if it does) - the expiry date of the card effectively ends the permission you have given until you as the customer give the permission again. It is certainly not up to the card issuer to determine that is what you want to do - irrespective of the intentions.

This. I’m not in the cards business directly but have some oversight as I work in a relatively senior position in regulatory compliance at a fairly big bank. No way details should be passed on unless you’ve expressly permitted it. Card numbers (and cvc numbers obviously) change on renewal and need to be refreshed.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Damn. I was hoping this thread was going to throw light on the issue I have with my bank card, which is that the expiry date shown on it and believed to be the correct one by the bank is according to all POS machines and cash points a month earlier, two if you think expiry should mean end of the month indicated.
Sorry to be OT on this OT.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Damn. I was hoping this thread was going to throw light on the issue I have with my bank card, which is that the expiry date shown on it and believed to be the correct one by the bank is according to all POS machines and cash points a month earlier, two if you think expiry should mean end of the month indicated.
Sorry to be OT on this OT.

It should. There is obviously an overlap as the new card is sent to you before the old one expires (which you can usually use straight away) but the old one should work until expiry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here