Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - How Regularly Should Car Air-Con Get Re-Gassed?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ironically, fuel economy is so much better on hot days, it wouldn't cost him anything!

as cold air is denser, thus has more oxygen and therefore better combustion, you'll have to explain why fuel economy is better on hot days?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
as cold air is denser, thus has more oxygen and therefore better combustion, you'll have to explain why fuel economy is better on hot days?

Simply because the engine warms up quicker. Just an observation from my dashboard readout, so not a scientific claim.

Jul 7, 2003
Advice please.

My car is going in for a service today (in case it's of relevance, it's an A5, 15 plate). I'm being asked if I want the Air-Con serviced/re-gassed for £79. I know they do need doing every so often, but it's only a 2 year old car. Is this one of those things where they try to get as much out of each customer as they can for jibs which don't always need doing or am i just a cynical bast*rd?

How often should the air-con need looking at as a rough guideline?

Thanks

This seems standard advice across VAG group as I have a Golf of similar age and got the same recommendation and the same price. I asked the dealer if it was something that was needed to keep the warranty valid and was told it was only a recommendation and not a requirement.

The daft bit is that if they made the price more realistic I would probably get it done but not at £79.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
I own a garage, I believe the industry recommendations is a regas every 2 years.
Make sure it is a regas and not a top up, lots of garages just pop in a bit more gas, where a decent garage take all the old stuff out and renew it, along with new oil and if they're really professional add some UV dye to help locate any future potential leaks.
A/C systems can harbour bacteria so regular servicing is definitely recommended.
Oh and we only charge £35 so shop around.

Couple of questions

Is your garage local to Worthing

My air con ran out a few years ago and thought nothing of it as i used my car at night and early morning. Now I'm not working those hours i use my car during the day and all it does is blow hot air after 5 minutes. Why?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I didn't even realise mine worked until earlier #lifesaver

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Not really, but not a million miles away....we're in Horsham.
As for the A/C not working, no idea without looking, but it sounds like it's probably a leak, have you had it regased ? If there's a leak a nitrogen test will be the easiest way to locate it.

Couple of questions

Is your garage local to Worthing

My air con ran out a few years ago and thought nothing of it as i used my car at night and early morning. Now I'm not working those hours i use my car during the day and all it does is blow hot air after 5 minutes. Why?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
This is another great con orchestrated by the car industry. Your car air con is basically a fridge using the same refrigerant as in your home - when did you last have you fridge or freezer recharged?

Only get it done if it stops working.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
This is another great con orchestrated by the car industry. Your car air con is basically a fridge using the same refrigerant as in your home - when did you last have you fridge or freezer recharged?

Only get it done if it stops working.
Each to their own, but I personally don't sit in my fridge breathing the air for long periods of time.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Advice please.

My car is going in for a service today (in case it's of relevance, it's an A5, 15 plate). I'm being asked if I want the Air-Con serviced/re-gassed for £79. I know they do need doing every so often, but it's only a 2 year old car. Is this one of those things where they try to get as much out of each customer as they can for jibs which don't always need doing or am i just a cynical bast*rd?

How often should the air-con need looking at as a rough guideline?

Thanks

How very dare you mention it's an A5! And air con? You have air con? :wink:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Each to their own, but I personally don't sit in my fridge breathing the air for long periods of time.

What has that got to do with it. Are you saying the air in a fridge is poisonous?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yeah, can't justify the running cost/depreciation of the RS. But, I bet they're awesome to drive. Used to have a Supra many years ago (the twin-turbo version), but the S5 is better than that IMO.

The car I have now, I won't mention it again, is the first performance car I've ever had. Great to drive but really, really hates petrol! About 18 mpg.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here