Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - How Regularly Should Car Air-Con Get Re-Gassed?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My Dad (late 80's) refuses to turn his on because it is "bad for fuel economy". Even this week.

My father in law (early 70s) is the same.

Re the OP, why fix something that isn't broken? I don't get it. My Golf is a 64 plate and the dealer has never mentioned doing anything to the AC when it's been serviced (the AC works perfectly).

This two year thing sounds like a con.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My VW golf was not regassed for 10 years. The air con remained perfect. Never a problem. And my regular services never mentioned it (at a VW dealership).

After I had a shunt, however, and my insurer tried to get the repairs done on the cheap, I ended up paying a grand to have it fixed. As part of the cost cutting process, I had to take 7 or 8 days off work while the garage repeatedly took the car back in to fix the air con. They regassed it 4 or 5 times, each time insisting the problem was fixed, only for the air con to revert back to 'room air' after an interval (ranging from a day to 2 weeks). I spent so much time complaining to the AA (who managed my insurance at the time) that I started to think 'it was me' (I'm one of those who always starts thinking its 'my fault when there is a conflict). The bit that got me was the guys at the garage telling me that 'it takes a while for the air con to kick in after you start the car' (no it bloody doesn't - it takes about 30 seconds) and 'it feels cool to me, mate' (no it bloody doesn't). *******s. I have other horror stories about AA insurance (they did my house insurance for a while) that I'll save for another rant :rant:

Probably another software issue for the US market?

larus

My father in law (early 70s) is the same.

Re the OP, why fix something that isn't broken? I don't get it. My Golf is a 64 plate and the dealer has never mentioned doing anything to the AC when it's been serviced (the AC works perfectly).

This two year thing sounds like a con.

Audi recommend your air-conditioning system is serviced every two years to disinfects any microbial, fungal and bacterial particles.

I'll leave it for another year as it's working fine.

I now know that's the 'recommended' practice, but it does feel like a way to get more money from the punter on the basis of 'we would recommend', even though things are all OK. Maybe I am just cynical :lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Audi recommend your air-conditioning system is serviced every two years to disinfects any microbial, fungal and bacterial particles.

i cant see why bacteria etc would get into what is supposed to be a closed system. gas escaping under pressure is one thing but ingress of microbes several orders larger seems unlikely.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My VW on a 58 plate - sill blowing out chilled air with AC on - nothing to "fix" here ....

I recon the gas in my AC is like the gas in my tyres - no need to replace it, but if it's all leaked out, then it's time to get it fixed ....

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I'll leave it for another year as it's working fine.

I now know that's the 'recommended' practice, but it does feel like a way to get more money from the punter on the basis of 'we would recommend', even though things are all OK. Maybe I am just cynical :lol:

I know Mercedes don't have the same recommendations, so maybe a way to get extra money, it's not time consuming or expensive but they charge a lot for it.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I own a garage, I believe the industry recommendations is a regas every 2 years.
Make sure it is a regas and not a top up, lots of garages just pop in a bit more gas, where a decent garage take all the old stuff out and renew it, along with new oil and if they're really professional add some UV dye to help locate any future potential leaks.
A/C systems can harbour bacteria so regular servicing is definitely recommended.
Oh and we only charge £35 so shop around.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
What on Earth for, unless he's particularly keen on enhancing anthropogenic climate change?
Anyone that's let's the gas out into the atmosphere is breaking the law, and can even go to prison (unlikely) if caught.
A reputable A/C engineer will always remove the old gas into a machine and recycle it.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
As much as I hate to admit it..... as I hate main stealers with a passion, they are quite correct.......ever got into a car and when it starts it has an eggy/ musty smell ? That's caused by bacteria, a lot of people don't even notice it as they are used to it, until its regased and they say it smell so much fresher.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
My Dad (late 80's) refuses to turn his on because it is "bad for fuel economy". Even this week.

My fuel economy has gone down around 8mpg since I've had the AC on FULL ICE COLD. There is truth in what your Dad says but I find it difficult to drive in a hot car if I'm being cooked at the same time!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My car is 2004 and has never had anything done to the air-con. It might not work as well as it did originally, but it was fine today and I don't want to be driving inside a deep freezer (just a fridge will do).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
People who make money from regassing say every 2 years.

People who don't have a vested interest say "when it doesn't feel cold any more"

Personally I follow the second school of thought.

I followed the second school of thought, which was fine until it packed up on a day like today, stuck on the M25. :censored:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Ironically, fuel economy is so much better on hot days, it wouldn't cost him anything!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here