Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Key moments in your support of the Albion?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The 1972 League Cup final between Chelsea and Stoke. I wasn't born in Sussex, and when I moved here in 1966 I was already a Chelsea fan. I went to Brighton games with my new friends, but if anybody asked me who I supported I'd answer "Chelsea". Gradually the Albion began to take the place of Chelsea in my affections (especially during the 71/72 season), and the final moment I 'tipped' was at that 1972 final. I looked round at the sea of blue and white and thought "I wish this was Brighton at Wembley". Chelsea lost and I didn't give a shit.

Never went to a game as a Chelsea fan again. And now of course like all right-thinking, decent folk everywhere I hate Chelsea with a passion.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I believe my first season ticket was 01/02.

There must have been horrible Tuesday in there where I was sitting there, in the rain, watching a poor game of football, shivering and thought "Damn, I'm hooked now".

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Me and my mates trying to score against Dave Hollins the Albion goalkeeper in the late 50's at Queens Park. (He was married to my cousin). Happy days indeed. He went on on to play for Newcastle and Wales and is still around living in Guildford. He was brother of John Hollins ex Chelsea, and uncle of Chris Hollins who won strictly. Not that I'm name dropping like, just happy memories.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I still get goosebumps remembering reading about us beating Man City at Withdean. To the neutral I'm sure it was just another cup giant-killing, but to me/us all, it seemed a little moment of "we don't deserve to be here"/"things are going to get better".

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Norman Wisdom performing on the pitch.
Walking to the Goldstone with Barry Rees the night before he died.
Div 4 championship win at home to Stockport.
Wardy skipping over the outstretched led of a centre half before zipping off to score a goal.
Tottenham and Southampton tucking us up.
Cup semi final when I just couldn't believe WE were going to Wembley.
My kids being ball boys.
Millwall away in play offs.
Last game at Goldstone.
Last game at Gillingham for completely different reasons.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Beating Man City in the cup at Withdean. Very special for me as it was the first time that my 9 year-old son, who I had been taking to Withdean for a few years had properly experienced a "big" Brighton win complete with pitch invasion.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One of the first games I went to watch was in May 1993 against Chester. Already relegated, Chester were 2-0 up after about five minutes before the Albion CLAWED their way back to win 3-2. There were many subsequent occasions when that fighting spirit was severely lacking, but as a game it was brilliant to see, as someone who was new to it all. We were right down the front in the North stand and I remember the surges pushing us almost through the gates onto the pitch.

Happy days.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Probably says something about me but the ones that stick in my mind are the bad times.

1st game I remember going to was the Bristol Rovers 2-8 one.
I remember the 3-0 Blackpool game at home only to find out about the Saints v Spurs carve up.
Walton and Hersham
Oxford Utd
Epsom and Ewell
Sudbury Town the list of infamy goes on and on...
Getting beat at Brentford 4-0 year after year
Archer and the rest of the c**ts
Hereford (We won but..)
Losing to you know who in the Play offs
Getting beat 5-0 by you know who
Middlesborough

I've come to the conclusion that not only am I a miserable git but that these bad times define your supporter journey rather than just the good. I'd hate to be a fan of a club that only has good times and think a crisis is when they've drawn in the CL or something.

Blackpool 3-0?????

New batteries for the memory required?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Seeing the promotion winning team ride past the end of my road in an open top bus in 1979 with fans in front and behind it singing. That was it, I wanted to be one of them. Not the players - the fans in front and behind singing.

Beating Bristol Rovers in 1988 in the May sunshine to get promoted. 87-88 was a properly insane season with Nelson, Rougvie and Bremner leading us to promotion on the pitch and all sorts happening off it. I'd been to every home game & my first always, five by the end of the season. Stood in the centre circle with my school mates singing with Bremner down to his keks & watched the whole thing back on Meridian Tonight on the Monday. 19000 there that day and some incredible surges in the North Stand.

The first of those events made me watch Brighton & the second made me a die hard Brighton fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I still get goosebumps remembering reading about us beating Man City at Withdean. To the neutral I'm sure it was just another cup giant-killing, but to me/us all, it seemed a little moment of "we don't deserve to be here"/"things are going to get better".
Top post. Yes, I get goosebumps too and as I posted earlier, one of those dad-son moments when I looked down at my eldest and he was grinning ear to ear full of pride that HIS team won.

Another moment was with my youngest at the bowling alley in 2009. He was wearing his Albion top and the number 7 on the back - his age and the squad number of his favourite player, Dean Cox. We heard someone comment about it, turned around and there was Coxy and his girlfriend.

The look on my youngest's face when he got to meet his hero and the fact that he wouldn't shut up about it for weeks proved that he also would be a fan for life.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Attending my first game with my Uncle Ian. We lost 1-0 to Southampton, pretty sure Kevin Keegan played for them and Sammy Nelson was in our team (what year was that?)
Cup final
First season ticket in the West Stand, it was a complimentary given to Harwood Garage employees. My dad's mate worked for them and had no interest in football so it found its way to me.
Promotion, Nelson, Bremner, Codner, Curbishley, Barry Out, 1987.
Hereford
Return to Brighton.
Zamora and Micky.
Planning wars.
1-0 at Selhurst
Poyet
Amex
PROMOTION

J2 BHA

NSC Patreon
Jul 28, 2004
Walsall away, when we went 1 nil down and Gary Hary and Lloyd Owusu scored, the surge and pandemonium on the terrace was something il never forget.

Nice one...reminds me of the Bristol rovers away game in midweek where Owusu was different class (that's how I remember I anyway ��), pretty sure OGH played that night too. Atmosphere was electric

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Nice one...reminds me of the Bristol rovers away game in midweek where Owusu was different class (that's how I remember I anyway ��), pretty sure OGH played that night too. Atmosphere was electric

I did mean Bristol Rovers away and yes Owusu was a different class, had read a post further up and had Walsall in my mind as well as, running past a steward who told me i wasnt allowed on the pitch even though the majority of Albion fans where already half way across the pitch.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Too many really, but personally, after the second goal against Blackburn at the goldstone, I turned my ankle of the crumbling Terrance ( down the bottom section of the east terrace) ...I was carted off by the local ambulance people and off to hospital. Broke my ankle and still suffer from a weak ankle now. Consequence was that section of the east terrace was subsequently shut as unsafe and the albion kept ringing me to make sure I was ok. I think they were worried I was going to sue them.

The other one was similar to THPP. At withdean we played against charlton one evening after Christmas. I had been having chest pains and breathing problems, and I remember shuffling back to the car at the bottom of withdean drive and having to stop a couple of times. I went to hospital the next day and were very close to dying that morning in a&e, as they were treating me for a heart attack...turned out I had blood clots that had covered my lungs and whilst breathing in, I wasn't getting any oxygen to my blood! Luckily due to brilliance of the NHS and warfarin, I am now fine...but I look back and think if I hadn't have gone to the game, I would have not have realised the seriousness of the situation.

...and yet again, making the directors box and requesting that bellotti go forth and procreate somewhere else than in the ground at that time. I forgive the steward who threw me down three rows of chairs...the *******.

Yoda

English & European
Plymouth away 2001, the start of the phoenix rising. Our win combined with two other results going our way seeing us promoted.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
6th January 1962, the Goldstone Ground west terrace, Blackburn Rovers, FA Cup 3rd Round, 20,000 + in attendance including me and my brother who was taking me to see my first Albion game. Blackburn were one of the top teams in the country at the time (Ronnie Clayton, Bryan Douglas etc) and we lost 3-0. It was bloody freezing but I was totally and fatally hooked.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I did mean Bristol Rovers away and yes Owusu was a different class, had read a post further up and had Walsall in my mind as well as, running past a steward who told me i wasnt allowed on the pitch even though the majority of Albion fans where already half way across the pitch.

Calvin Andrew scored didn't he? Not Gary Hart? But I'm pretty sure Hart set them both up.

It was a funny one, despite being down the bottom and 1-0 down to a good side...I was so confident we were going to turn it around and win. Great night! I think it was also the same evening as the famous Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal, Arshavin game

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here