Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Opening loft hatch - does it keep house cooler?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wouldn't know, that's where the monsters live.

Gaston Bachelard's 'the poetics of space' reminds me of this very comment, although in reverse as the attic was the place for our creative mind and our comfort, and the basement that of our fears. You can't beat a bit of light phenomenology in the morning...

“Verticality is ensured by the polarity of cellar and attic, the marks of which are so deep that, in a way, they open up two very different perspectives for a phenomenology of the imagination. Indeed, it is possible, almost without commentary, to oppose the rationality of the roof to the irrationality of the cellar. A roof tells its raison d'etre right away: it gives mankind shelter from the rain and sun he fears. Geographers are constantly reminding us that, in every country, the slope of the roofs is one of the surest indications of the climate. We "understand" the slant of a roof. Even a dreamer dreams rationally; for him, a pointed roof averts rain clouds. Up near the roof all our thoughts are clear. In the attic it is a pleasure to see the bare rafters of the strong framework. Here we participate in the carpenter's solid geometry.

As for the cellar, we shall no doubt find uses for it .. It will be rationalized and its conveniences enumerated. But it is first and foremost the dark entity of the house, the one that partakes of subterranean forces. When we dream there, we are in harmony with the irrationality of the depths.”

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Generally your house will be insulated, which will keep the house cool when it's hot. Your loft will probably be like an oven. Hot air rises, but any air going up there will push warm air down.

I don't imagine there's much to benefit from it.

Not sure it's worth a battle though, if she wants it open, she can open it.

Been sleeping downstairs in the hot stuff, upstairs is like a greenhouse. Sadly we aren't prepared for hot (or cold) weather in this country. Air con would be nice.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
B***dy dawn chorus waking me up, don't they have jobs those birds. And as for it being nearly daylight not long after 0500, Summer, bah humbug :)

It's actually more like 3am. I was sat in the garden then...in my PANTS!! Last night was ridiculously hot and I've got a stinking cold of all things toboot. Watched the world wake up, better than Police Camera Action repeats :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here