Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Opening loft hatch - does it keep house cooler?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Losing the battle with Mrs Lbtp to try this rumour. Does anyone else try this? Does it work? It's too hucking fot to sleep. Anything to cool house down at night.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Only works with the front door open too. Definitely worth a go.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Generally your house will be insulated, which will keep the house cool when it's hot. Your loft will probably be like an oven. Hot air rises, but any air going up there will push warm air down.

I don't imagine there's much to benefit from it.

Not sure it's worth a battle though, if she wants it open, she can open it.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If you've got a velux in the roof (and open it) then yes, otherwise probably not.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Generally your house will be insulated, which will keep the house cool when it's hot. Your loft will probably be like an oven. Hot air rises, but any air going up there will push warm air down.

older houses (fairly recent unless they changed buliding regs) will usually only have insulation between ceiling and attic floor. easier and less insulation needed than fitting inside the pitch. so the attic will be cool. hot air rising should escape through ventilation in the eves, drawing in cooler night air. in the day however the beating sun will make the attic baking unless there is decent insulation in the pitch.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
If you can create air flow through the house, you will feel cooler (moving air aids evaporation on the skin, cools you down).
To get air flow, you need both an inlet and outlet vent.

If a downstairs window is open, and there is an uninterrupted path to an upstairs window, you will get air movement between those two points, and it will feel cooler if you stand in that path.
A loft hatch can substitute for a window as an exit vent, if the air can flow out through the gaps between the roof tiles (as said above, it depends on what insulation you have in the roof, and where it is fitted).

Obviously, open windows at this time of year can be a security risk, so consider that too.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I sat in the garden at 3am, it was blissfully cool.

I must be the only person in the entire country who has caught a cold, feel lousy with that punched eye sockets feeling just to top up my lack of sleep due to the heat!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
older houses (fairly recent unless they changed buliding regs) will usually only have insulation between ceiling and attic floor. easier and less insulation needed than fitting inside the pitch.
Yes, that's what I'd expect.
so the attic will be cool. hot air rising should escape through ventilation in the eves, drawing in cooler night air. in the day however the beating sun will make the attic baking unless there is decent insulation in the pitch.
What ventilation in the eves? I think most old houses don't have any. I didn't know it cooled down quickly at night.

Great time of morning....still.....dawn chorus....nature at its best.

B***dy dawn chorus waking me up, don't they have jobs those birds. And as for it being nearly daylight not long after 0500, Summer, bah humbug :)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm working in a roof, the hatch is open and the baking hot air is being drawn down into the house

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here