Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Too hot to work law?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Having spent a fair amount of time working in New York, our country's reaction to a few hot days amuses me too. The weather there is more extreme (although nothing compared to the likes of Arizona), and people just get on with it.

I think the job I would hate more than anything is a construction worker in Manhattan on a humid summer day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
A couple of weeks ago it reached 97 degrees in the factory here (I work at a printers / carton manufacturer), & the guys out on the shop floor dont get any proper breaks or lunchtimes. The only "breaks" they get are a few minutes here & there while the machines are running the jobs - but they are still active & on their feet during that time checking that things are OK etc.
Im in the office with A/C, so luckily dont suffer, but its horrendously hot down there sometimes during the summer months, & they are knackered at the end of a 7 - 4.30 shift. Often think they should be entitled to some official down time surely?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For the first time in 20 years, we shut our office early (3.30pm) yesterday and went home. Nobody was doing anything worthwhile as it was too uncomfortable.

I do understand the 'man up', 'just get on with it' comments, and we absolutely could have done, but if no work is getting done anyway, what's the point? :shrug:

Hoping it has set a sensible precedent.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I see you've knocked off before you even started ....u get cushy in door jobs ...some of us sweat outdoors :D
I'd like to swap with you right now out in a nice breezy field for my sauna of a roof space!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
A couple of weeks ago it reached 97 degrees in the factory here (I work at a printers / carton manufacturer), & the guys out on the shop floor dont get any proper breaks or lunchtimes. The only "breaks" they get are a few minutes here & there while the machines are running the jobs - but they are still active & on their feet during that time checking that things are OK etc.
Im in the office with A/C, so luckily dont suffer, but its horrendously hot down there sometimes during the summer months, & they are knackered at the end of a 7 - 4.30 shift. Often think they should be entitled to some official down time surely?

Rest breaks at work
Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break.

The break doesn’t have to be paid - it depends on their employment contract.

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Whenever I moan about the heat I my Dad tells me about when he worked on the rigs out in the Middle East- 45C working next to hot oil pipes in full flame retardant PPE tends to put my office job moans into perspective....

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I was educated in a 60's concrete comprehensive and one side of most of the classrooms was nearly all glass (which only opened a sliver so kids couldn't throw stuff out). On the south side of the building it was like a greenhouse when it was hot and remember getting sent home a couple of times as it was so hot it was deemed unsuitable for kids.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Stop moaning imagine having to be a fireman/ police officer/paramedic and wearing all that PPE? They can't stop because it's hot.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Apparently there are guidelines which suggest a maximum of 24C. There is no law but I understand some of the unions are pushing for one.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If you asked your boss if you could see the risk assesment and method statement that has been done for working your job in temperatures above 24c, you might get the afternoon off, or be asked to produce it, which enables you to add extra rest breaks or shorter hours to the method statement, to reduce the risk of red raw buttocks from a chafing sweaty arse.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Apparently there are guidelines which suggest a maximum of 24C. There is no law but I understand some of the unions are pushing for one.

Jesus wept

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here