Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child of the 70's? What was your favourite....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Did anyone else have clothes from the tally man, dodgy nylon fashion for all the family, paid for on the never never, he used to come round about once a month with several suitcases of clothes.

No, but as someone else said it was all off FHW!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Born in 66.......parents both worked long & hard for not much money.

Tv - Blue Peter, Newsround, Jim'll Fix It (I know, I know), Tomorrow's World, The Big Match, Match of the Day, World of Sport (wrestling)

Sweets - fruit salad, chewits, toffos, quarter of pear drops or similar in a paper bag

Drink - Shandy Bass

Toy - board games like Sorry, otherwise we were almost always outdoors, cricket in summer and football in winter, or games of 'kick the can'. When wet, Action Man.

Bike - a 'racer' (cheap, from the catalogue)

Shoes/fashion - whatever was cheap or what my mum would get from the catalogue on weekly payments

Car - a mini first up for me, about 20 years old. My old man had various old bangers, eventually got a golf which was luxurious (and about 5 years old)

Music - Maiden, ELO, Abba and pathological hatred of Bay City Rollers

Lot of good stuff there, can relate to about 80%.

Jul 7, 2003
Did anyone else have clothes from the tally man, dodgy nylon fashion for all the family, paid for on the never never, he used to come round about once a month with several suitcases of clothes.

My mum used to work for the local tally man, making alterations to suits, trousers and dresses for people. If I remember correctly, when my dad passed his driving test our first car was the tally mans old Ford Corsair as he had just bought a new Cortina.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
52 weeks at 1.50 a week, bargain!

Everything I had was from the "Grattan" catalogue. Did you have that down here?

My Mum used to ask me to choose some trainers or a jumper out of there, leave the room, then I'd get lost in the 'women's underwear' section. I've never lost my fascination with boobies! :lolol:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Born 1965

To programmes : Banana splits ,( inc Arabian nights), Mary , Mungo & Midge ( which I named my hamsters after) Double Deckers
Toys : had to be Action Man,( Horse guard) and Subbuteo. Would have a whole FA Cup draw on a Saturday, and the final would have the colours of the two teams made up of t-shirts , jumpers etc laid out on the surrounding settee/ chairs for the crowd.
Drink: Corona from the pop man. 10p back for each bottle.plenty of Calypsos in the summer.
Music : early 70's was the Sweet, T-Rex, late 70's Punk and Two Tone.
Bike: various but favourite was Raleigh Chopper , but all had lolly pop sticks in the spokes.
Sweets: Black Jacks, fruit salads, refreshers
Car: remember my old man coming back from working on the Rigs and turning up in a Jag, oh yes! First time out in it he had to pop in the shop and told me not to touch anything, first thing that was pushed in was the cigarette lighter, being six I hadn't seen one before but was well intrigued by the bright red light when it popped out. Ouch!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My mum used to work for the local tally man, making alterations to suits, trousers and dresses for people. If I remember correctly, when my dad passed his driving test our first car was the tally mans old Ford Corsair as he had just bought a new Cortina.

I was going to add to my post, of course, the alterations were always excellent to :smile:o

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My childhood in 5 minutes.....[yt]yapmudOuwDM[/yt]....all watched on our rented telly......

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Everything I had was from the "Grattan" catalogue. Did you have that down here?

My Mum used to ask me to choose some trainers or a jumper out of there, leave the room, then I'd get lost in the 'women's underwear' section. I've never lost my fascination with boobies! :lolol:

Yeah we had Grattan and Littlewoods but FHW seemed the popular one.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
TV Programme : Trumpton, Chigley & Camberwick Green

Sweets : Blobs, fruit salad and black jacks, but top of the pile, flying saucers

Drink : Lime or cherryade. Used to have a Corona pop man come round like a milkman.

Toy : Meccano

Push Bike : Always wanted a Chopper, but never got one. Had a run-of-the-mill push bike

Shoes/Trainers : No idea. Think my school football boots and trainers were Patrick?

Fashion : Me-h.

Car : Not really interested in cars (still to this day) but did get very excited when dad came home in a white 2.8i Capri

Music : I first heard Bohemian Rhapsody when I was 10 and have loved Queen ever since. Most of my musical taste back then came from listening to my older bothers records. Sadly I just missed being old enough for punk (born '65)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Born 1965

To programmes : Banana splits ,( inc Arabian nights), Mary , Mungo & Midge ( which I named my hamsters after) Double Deckers
Toys : had to be Action Man,( Horse guard) and Subbuteo. Would have a whole FA Cup draw on a Saturday, and the final would have the colours of the two teams made up of t-shirts , jumpers etc laid out on the surrounding settee/ chairs for the crowd.
Drink: Corona from the pop man. 10p back for each bottle.plenty of Calypsos in the summer.
Music : early 70's was the Sweet, T-Rex, late 70's Punk and Two Tone.
Bike: various but favourite was Raleigh Chopper , but all had lolly pop sticks in the spokes.
Sweets: Black Jacks, fruit salads, refreshers
Car: remember my old man coming back from working on the Rigs and turning up in a Jag, oh yes! First time out in it he had to pop in the shop and told me not to touch anything, first thing that was pushed in was the cigarette lighter, being six I hadn't seen one before but was well intrigued by the bright red light when it popped out. Ouch!!

Again, I can so relate to this. You forget so much until someone mentions it.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Seeing that montage (thanks!) does anyone remember the sweets tied to the Metal Mickey programme called "Fuzzbusters"?

You could buy a "quarter" of them from the big plastic containers at the sweet shop.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
TV programme - Sesame street -

Sweets - sherbert Fountain

Drinks - Jungle Juice - aka Compo rations

Toy - Action man...couldnt afford one so sawed the tits off me sisters barbie doll?..didnt go down well:facepalm:

Push bike - Raleigh Chopper- couldnt afford one so had backies on 'em

Fashion=- Adidas trainers and tracky tops

Car - Ford Capri - although we had a Mk3 Cortina in bronze

Music - It was all Soul or Bay City rollers due to older brother / sister. ..

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Seeing that montage (thanks!) does anyone remember the sweets tied to the Metal Mickey programme called "Fuzzbusters"?

What about those sweets that were shaped like bricks and you'd pop them out of some disney character?

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Summer of '63

TV prog: flashing blade, doctor who, blue peter, magpie, how?, TOTP, out of town
Sweets: curly-wurly, fruit salads (not blackjacks!), caramac
Drink: tizer, snowballs at christmas, orange squash
Toy: johnny 7, homemade skateboards, monopoly, cards, battleships (on paper)
Bike: - a classic 70's racer, largely bits stuck together
Trainers: plimsolls. trainers didn't exist?
Fashion: harrington, nylon orange shirt, brogues
Car: dad had a ford anglia and then a super minx. my first car mark 2 cortina
Music: wings, elton john, bowie, then punk and soul

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here