Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child of the 70's? What was your favourite....

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Sweets: whatever we could nick from ol man Morris in Moulsecoombe Way

I'm from Lwr Bev, and did a paper round for him, out of the one up the Avenue.

DOB 1970

TV Programme : Harold Lloyd, Adventure game, Superstars, The Goodies, It's a Knockout. Dick Barton investigates, Dick Emery, Kenny Everett.

Sweets : Chocolate Bon-Bons, 1/4oz bag after being paid for paper-round and also the collection round for another £3

Drink : What was those drinks in a clear cup with foil over top, you had to pierce with a straw ?

Toy : Rocket Track - buying Corgi and Matchbox cars from Filbeys(?) bottom of Elm Grove, making them do the loop the loop and hairpin turns. Action man - lucky enough to have a tank and combat plane/car combo too.

Push Bike : For years had an awful bike with all lever brakes and 10in solid wheels - Got destroyed in races around Lower Bev; got my mums bike for a bit :facepalm: which was at least faster, but still uncool.. Luck changed when a 36a bus ran over my toe on way home from Fawcett on Carden Ave. Southdown paid me some hush money, and i could finally get a swish Halfords racer.

Shoes/Trainers : Loafers with tassles (great for skidding on ice) and Winfield Addidas copy trainers.

Fashion : Fred Perry T-Shirt, Shirts with no collars, Stay-pressed, Flouro Socks (1 of each of course)

Car : Austin 11/1300, then a couple of Vauxhall Shovitt's (Chevette) - Eric Whittington (ex BHA) used to live along road, and in his new job as a rep was the first person i knew to get a Ford Sierra.

Music : Taping the Top 40..! Adam Ant. First 7in 'Going back to my Roots' by Odyssey.

Stupid Things Genie-ing boxes of swan vestas.

Edit: Bevendean Barcelona, then Melford Sunday footie - Inc playing at Denton/Eastbourne - Didn't they have a manhole cover just inside the pitch..? :ohmy:

Last edited:

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
red and white straws from the Unigate milkman. Watch Out Watch Out...Humphries about...

Vague memories. someone please confirm that I am remembering correctly and connecting things that are actually connected!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Genie-ing boxes of swan vestas.
Doffs cap. Also like the 1/4lb(?) bag of chocolate bon-bons reference... prompted retrieval of a lost memory about very occasionally getting a bag of chocolate honeycomb misshapes/offcuts from the market in Brighton...

Fascinating to ponder how life has changed. I read somewhere yesterday an observation that there were no "Garden Centres" in the 70s... how on earth did our parents manage?

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWdcZqG02L

and I had a brown parker where you can zip up front to make an eskimo furry hole, Woolworth football boots called Panthers (see what they did there?) and my dad had a blue Cortina SMY238M. Played with scalextric and the 6 million dollar man doll with the built in radio (never worked)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The other day I was listening to a conversation with Will Farrell, naturally 2 middle aged men end up talking about their kids and their childhood.

Interviewer says, 'my boy is 13, and wants to know when he can be a latch key kid'.
Unsurprisingly this sparks a whole conversation of the freedom they (we all) had back in the 'good old days'.

Finally one of them says 'yeah and you know what's ruined all of that, for everybody', to which they both replied:-

"peadophiles" - Naturally I'm not doing it justice but it did raise a rye smile.

Being a child of the 70's, I didn't become a 'latch key kid' till secondary school in '81.
But I had absolute free reign of the house and village, the only caveat was I needed to have dad's tea in the oven and ready to go for when he came in, on Thursdays.

So far Jnr Stat is a full calendar year behind me, and showing no signing of ever halting that slide.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I read somewhere yesterday an observation that there were no "Garden Centres" in the 70s... how on earth did our parents manage?

Born in '68 and for as long as I can remember up the road from my Nan and Grandad's there was a retail nursery which was in effect a garden centre but with emphasis on just plants rather than all the other stuff that is usually sold in garden centres.

I also recall going to a proper garden centre and bumping into my school teacher of the time there. I was in her class in '77 so they definitely existed then.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Also a bit older (1955) so the 70's were my growing up and working years.

TV Programme : I was a Blue Peter boy. Also Crossroads because I had to go to work (Key Markets, Hassocks) for an hour stocking shelves. Theme tune meant time to go to work.

Sweets : Sweet Shop in Hassocks had a three tier rack.half penny, penny & two penny (old money).

Drink : When I discovered alcohol it was Watneys Starlight at the Greyhound Keymer. 8 pints £2 before that "It's Frothy Man" was the slogan of some drink. I used to take a sip from bottles when filling the supermarket shelves, sorry, never admitted this before.

Toy : Train set. Would still love a big layout.

Push Bike : Chopper Bike (yellow) cost my Dad £35 second hand and we couldn't really afford it. Thanks Dad X.

Shoes/Trainers : Cheap shoes.

Fashion : Early 70's I was 'it' with a purple satin suit and a huge black floppy hat.. If Marc Bolan had one then so did I.

Car : Parents car that I drove was a Vauxhall Viva OHC (thought OHC was something special) Reg WLD569G. My first was a green mini estate that cost me £200 and lasted a year or two. Electric ariel was what sold it to me.

Music : Early 70's when I first started DJing it was glam rock all the way. I was soooo cool and well up on all the music.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
the 6 million dollar man doll with the built in radio (never worked)

Don't remember the radio, but was that the one that had the 'bionic eye' that you could look through to experience the focal attributes of a mole with astigmatism?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
red and white straws from the Unigate milkman. Watch Out Watch Out...Humphries about...

Vague memories. someone please confirm that I am remembering correctly and connecting things that are actually connected!

Yes ! The Unigate ads........milk thieves, you could only see the red and white straw. Watch out, watch out there's a Humphrey about..........Arthur Mullard maybe, Barbara Windsor ?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I had a black Raleigh Strika which I must have got in the early '80's, I can still remember the feel of the fake suspension on the front forks... my next bike was a Night Burner, which I still have.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Were the long thin ones called More?

Jumpers for goal posts?

Oh well done, yes they were called More.

Woolworths seemed to do very well with trainer sales, we had no money but I had Dunlop Green Flash.
But all my fishing tackle came from Woolworths, using flour, water and custard powder as bait.
Regarding sweets anyone remember Jamboree Bags.
And, yes kids, we used to buy sweet cigarettes, white with a red tip in a fake cigarette box, some would even puff fake smoke. When I was offered the real thing aged 10 or so of course I said yes.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Oh well done, yes they were called More.

Woolworths seemed to do very well with trainer sales, we had no money but I had Dunlop Green Flash.
But all my fishing tackle came from Woolworths, using flour, water and custard powder as bait.
Regarding sweets anyone remember Jamboree Bags.
And, yes kids, we used to buy sweet cigarettes, white with a red tip in a fake cigarette box, some would even puff fake smoke. When I was offered the real thing aged 10 or so of course I said yes.

Don't forget coconut tobacco in a pouch and liquorice pipes. :lolol:

ru12print.jpg

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
TV Programme: Dr Who, Batman & Robin, Land of the Giants, Jason King, Captain Scarlett, High Chapperal, Alias Smith & Jones. Although I never saw it at the time because it was on too late Man in a Suitcase held a constant fascination for me because of the title. I imagined a tiny secret agent who lived in a suitcase. Made up for it years later by getting the DVD boxset.

Toys: Plastic Meccano, lego, Airfix and Revell model kits (WW2 aeroplanes and 12" figures including Werewolf, Dracula, Oliver Cromwell), Space Hopper, Action Man, Plasticraft, Striker football game (personally customised by me to give each player an individual identity which included adding of beards, moustaches, changing hair colour, balding combover, brown face for Clyde Best effect, Johhny West Cowboy Action figure by Marx toys also customised by painting clothes, Indian action figure by Marx also customised by painting accessories, Silver Knight Action figure by Marx including horses for all three Marx figures.

Drink: Chocolate or Banana Nesquik, Complan

Trainers: Gola

Fashion: Homemade Starsky Cardigan, Homemade Serpico flak jacket, homemade flared jeans made with thin unconvincing denim and bright orange stitching, orange velvet trousers with homemade triangular brown corderouy insert to make flared, camouflage army hat.

Music: Slade, T Rex, Gary Glitter, Sweet, Mud, Suzie Quatro, David Bowie

Car: Renault 4 with soft top sunroof customised with safety handle bar across roof to hold on to as we drove standing up on back seat with our heads sticking out of sun roof ( my Dad wasn't totally cavalier with regards our safety hence the handle bar)

Bike: Second hand Dawes in self painted light metallic blue paint and self applied transfers

Pets: 2 rabbits

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Born in 69 so my answers will be based on mid to tail end of the 70's

TV Programme : Saturday morning re runs of Tarzan and old Cowboy films in black and white.

Sweets: Texan Bar

Drink: Some kinda Soda stream thing with green cartridges that doubled up as massive bombs when playing soldiers

Toy : Airfix soldiers 1/72 ( I loved the Afrika Korps) and Subbuteo oh and Scalextric.... Oh and Action man (my gran used to knit him clothes, I had an eagle eyes probably the only one in the UK with knitted itchy wool trousers...

Push Bike : Raleigh Chopper

Shoes/Trainers : Borstal breakouts..... if you need to ask what they are you ain't old school enough.

Fashion : Absolutely had no choice to be honest,, and when I did finally start to notice fashion it was 1980.... So I would say I was mainly dressed like a cowboy or Indian out of school uniform.

Car : My Dad had Ford Cortinas and I think a Ford Granada.

Music: From the age of 5 I listened to my Dads Johnny Cash & Johnny Driftwood, Buddy Holly and the likes, by the time late 79 came along I was starting to l get into music and thinking about my appearance but had not yet discovered Rockabilly.

I think 1980 going into big school and discovering Rockabilly, cool haircuts, fashions and gang culture was amazing and I grew up very fast ditching my cowboy outfit and Airfix Soldiers.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
TV Programme : ........ old Cowboy films in black and white.

Sweets: Texan Bar

Fashion : ....... So I would say I was mainly dressed like a cowboy or Indian out of school uniform.

.......and I grew up very fast ditching my cowboy outfit......
This answers a lot of questions. I think I've just discovered the roots of your reverse cowgirl fetish. You may have ditched your cowboy outfit but the reverse cowgirl thing is your way of subconsciously hanging on to a part of your lost childhood

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here